House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Obesity In Uk 'could Be Far Worse Than Predicted'

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/13/uk-obesity-worst-case-scenario-underestimate

Predictions on the number of obese and overweight people in the UK may dramatically underestimate the worst-case scenario, says the National Obesity Forum in a new report.

The Forum, led by a GP, wants urgent action to tackle obesity. It warns that the seminal Foresight report of 2007 which said that half the population of England could be obese by 2050 if sufficient action was not taken could have been an underestimation of the scale of the obesity crisis. Public Health England recently estimated that 60% of men, 50% of women and 25% of children could be obese by that date.

The report, the State of the Nation's Waistline, calls for hard-hitting obesity campaigns similar to those intended to stop people smoking. It also wants family doctors to raise the issue with overweight patients and says GPs should be trained and paid to start conversations with their patients about their weight.

Ever increasing house prices and ever expanding waist lines.

The predictions of rates of obesity are scary even without an upwards revision.

The nagging doubt is that predicting this number 35 years into the future must be subject to large uncertainties.

An increasing number of charitable causes seem to lobby Govt. for funds to sustain campaigns to lobby Govt for funds to combat a predicted epidemic in this, that or other a few decades into the future.

.....there is much money to be made out of fat people....big money made while they are getting fat and more money when they are working to become slim.....up to us how we play to it. ;)

.....there is much money to be made out of fat people....big money made while they are getting fat and more money when they are working to become slim.....up to us how we play to it. ;)

Fat people have more fun:

Gr%C3%BCtzner_Falstaff_mit_Kanne.jpg

fat-buddha1-p78.jpg

Come on, how often do we see this, some lobby group or vested interest in need of cash or attention prognosticating about things so far into the future it is scarcely credible.

That was my immediate thought, quasi-charitable political campaigning organisation issues apocolyptic warning based on dodgy stats and the assumption that a trend will over a very long timespan, this warning also co-incidentally demonstrates just how important they are.

It is the usual ******** based extrapolation that was so funny in the Goodies kitten sketch. For those of you under the age of 40, this involved extrapolating the growth of a kitten for rather a long time, and ended up with a giant kitten climbing the post office tower. How we laughed.

The underlying assumptions are mostly rubbish as well. A few years ago, I was super fit - training for the Etape du Tour ( amateur stage of the Tour de France), and I had to eat to maintain body weight. I was riding about 300 miles a week. According to my GP records, I was borderline obese - and thus included in rubbish predictions like these.

Undoubtedly there are lots of fat people - but that does not mean that fat is infectious and we are all going to get it.

Undoubtedly there are lots of fat people - but that does not mean that fat is infectious and we are all going to get it.

I thought you caught it from unprotected eating of cream cakes...

And having read that now it looks ruder than I thought it would.

It does appear that some levels to describe someone as 'obese' or not can be a bit ridiculous. However this doesn't change the facts of what you can see with your own eyes everywhere across the UK.

We have a massive problem in this country - you would literally have to be blind not to know that. And even then you could probably feel the floor vibrate when one of them walked past you.

It does appear that some levels to describe someone as 'obese' or not can be a bit ridiculous. However this doesn't change the facts of what you can see with your own eyes everywhere across the UK.

Honestly, I don't. There have always been fat people around. If I think across the totality of the rather large company I am working at now, there are no really obese people. When I started work 20 years ago, there were two blokes who had to walk with sticks because they were so lardy, and plenty of other stupendously lardy, but not obese people. What has changed is that in the old days, they simply karked it at some stage. Now, they become a medical problem long before they kark it., and people try and "cure" them, without recognising that the only cure is less grub.

I definitely think there are more around. Although i haven't been keeping count so can't be certain.

I definitely think there are more around. Although i haven't been keeping count so can't be certain.

Could it be that you're getting older and so are the people you meet.

Could it be that you're getting older and so are the people you meet.

Not sure - i notice a lot of very fat kids all over the place.

Forget about the obesity ratio stats etc - what about the simple average waist measurements over the past few decades ? I am pretty sure they have increased by a lot. And people generally getting slightly taller doesn't cover the difference.

People are much richer, food much cheaper than a generation or so ago. The minimum benefits package is ample to keep a person fat many times over, so the number of people kept thin by economic circumstances is vanishingly small.

When I was young, Germans were known as Europe's fatties, and they were the ones who could afford it. Nowadays the more interesting question is why, when so many can afford it, some are fatter than others. I can think of a few likely culprits in the UK. For older people there may be the remnants of a force of habit: stoke up when you get the chance because you don't know where the next morsel is coming from (students may take a similar line, but the 20-year-old metabolism can get away with it). For children there's the tyranny of the motorcar that makes the streets too dangerous for them to be allowed to play unsupervised. Etcetera.

The fatter on average we get, the higher the BMI (or other favourite measure) that is deemed to be normal will be.

I appreciate that families also share genetics tendencies, but I went to a meal with my sister's children and grandchildren over Christmas. In the group photo, they make me look like Freddie Mercury in his final days. I found myself wondering how much of their overweight-ness is down to their assessments of 'normal' based upon the weight of those with whom they spend a lot of their time.

At the time it was filmed, Captain Mainwaring was a fat fellow. Looking at Dad's Army now, by modern standards I think most people would consider him not much bigger than normal weight:

Capt._Mainwaring.jpg

At the time it was filmed, Captain Mainwaring was a fat fellow. Looking at Dad's Army now, by modern standards I think most people would consider him not much bigger than normal weight:

He's not fat by modern standards, though as you say he was the very obvious fatty by the standards of the time.

Perhaps worth noting that while his sense of authority and entitlement is part of the joke, he is also the bank manager :rolleyes: