House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Dispersible Aspirin

Like the sheep that I am, I take one 75mg dispersible aspirin every day. I've done so for a pretty long time. This is NOT doctor's orders.

I used to buy them via Amazon from a pharmacy who would email me a few simple questions each time ('who're they for?' 'what other medication?' and such), and I'd order two bottles of a 100 tablets whenever I began to run low.

It seems that now, Amazon have a new policy (since October last year as far as I can tell) that prescription medicines are no longer to be sold from their site.

I bought a bottle from the pharmacy in Sainsbury's over the weekend, but the pharmacist made it pretty hard work to get them. I pointed out that, if it came to it, I could just buy a normal packet of aspirin whenever I liked (200mg) and break them in half to get approximately the same effect--but that this would involve increasing the dose, and the dose would then become approximately 100mg rather than exactly 75mg. Surely better just to sell me the 75mg ones?

Anyway, I did get the bottle of aspirins, but I'd rather find a somewhat easier way.

Does anyone know an easier route to buying 75mg aspirins, or will it come to buying 200mg ones and snapping them in half to avoid the third degree?

Like the sheep that I am, I take one 75mg dispersible aspirin every day. I've done so for a pretty long time. This is NOT doctor's orders.

I used to buy them via Amazon from a pharmacy who would email me a few simple questions each time ('who're they for?' 'what other medication?' and such), and I'd order two bottles of a 100 tablets whenever I began to run low.

It seems that now, Amazon have a new policy (since October last year as far as I can tell) that prescription medicines are no longer to be sold from their site.

I bought a bottle from the pharmacy in Sainsbury's over the weekend, but the pharmacist made it pretty hard work to get them. I pointed out that, if it came to it, I could just buy a normal packet of aspirin whenever I liked (200mg) and break them in half to get approximately the same effect--but that this would involve increasing the dose, and the dose would then become approximately 100mg rather than exactly 75mg. Surely better just to sell me the 75mg ones?

Anyway, I did get the bottle of aspirins, but I'd rather find a somewhat easier way.

Does anyone know an easier route to buying 75mg aspirins, or will it come to buying 200mg ones and snapping them in half to avoid the third degree?

....if all you want is 75mg could you not buy the larger dose, crush them all up together and divide up into the dose that suits you? ;)

....if all you want is 75mg could you not buy the larger dose, crush them all up together and divide up into the dose that suits you? ;)

Wouldn't that be pretty hard to do with any kind of accuracy?

How would you go about measuring 75mg?

Edited to add: Quite apart from not really wanting to mess about like this! ;)

Wouldn't that be pretty hard to do with any kind of accuracy?

How would you go about measuring 75mg?

Edited to add: Quite apart from not really wanting to mess about like this! ;)

...either that or you will have to create a demand somehow,.......place in strong plastic bag and beat with rolling pin, there are some very accurate scales about nowadays, you could even divide up into your own blister packs for ease of use. ;)

Were you buying direct from Amazon, or through their marketplace?

If through the marketplace your original supplier will still be out there selling them. You just need to find their website. I had a quick Google and there seem to be a bunch of people selling it, so you should have some options.

Were you buying direct from Amazon, or through their marketplace?

If through the marketplace your original supplier will still be out there selling them. You just need to find their website. I had a quick Google and there seem to be a bunch of people selling it, so you should have some options.

A good suggestion and something I've pursued (but didn't mention in my OP in the interests of brevity).

The supplier I used to use on Amazon charged around £1.40 per 100 tablets--about the going rate. When I found their own website last week, the price is £4.00! I have no idea why there is this price difference, and Sainsbury's charged me £1.30-odd over the weekend.

A good suggestion and something I've pursued (but didn't mention in my OP in the interests of brevity).

The supplier I used to use on Amazon charged around £1.40 per 100 tablets--about the going rate. When I found their own website last week, the price is £4.00! I have no idea why there is this price difference, and Sainsbury's charged me £1.30-odd over the weekend.

I might be wrong but I thought Tesco sold them. I think I have some lurking at the back of the cupboard.

I remember talking to my doc about taking one of these everyday just as a sort of preventative measure and he said no way.

I am not sure I agreed with him but he said if everyone started doing this we would end up with a large number of gastric bleeding problems.

I take 75mG of aspirin daily as well. The ones I buy are the "enteric coated" type from Savers or Wilkinsons, just swallow with a cup of coffee.

The thing that irritates me about this sort of stuff is if you try to get some basic medicine you can't, but if you go to the doctor its like you can't get an appointment for 4 weeks and when you do the response is "what the hell have you come to me for something so trivial for?"

My solution ? The US. You can get triple antibiotic ointment over the counter and catering packs of asprin without any hassle.

I am curious why you feel the need to take aspirin daily, when it has not been prescribed!

I am curious why you feel the need to take aspirin daily, when it has not been prescribed!

Hmm. I am curious as to how anyone who spends any time on the internet at all hasn't realised that it is full of unqualified people who think they know better than medical professionals.

The thing that irritates me about this sort of stuff is if you try to get some basic medicine you can't, but if you go to the doctor its like you can't get an appointment for 4 weeks ....

And they will happily prescribe anything without regard for dangers or side effects. The bottles of 100 paracaetamol that my senile 90 year mother gets routinely prescribed are probably among the least harmful of the drugs that she gets just for turning up.

I take 75mG of aspirin daily as well. The ones I buy are the "enteric coated" type from Savers or Wilkinsons, just swallow with a cup of coffee.

Are these available as 'non prescription'? In other words, are they just sitting on the shelf like and not behind a pharmacist's counter?

And they will happily prescribe anything without regard for dangers or side effects. The bottles of 100 paracaetamol that my senile 90 year mother gets routinely prescribed are probably among the least harmful of the drugs that she gets just for turning up.

Would that be a professional opinion or an armchair internet opinion ?

armchair internet opinion ?

Fair comment, but I thought the paracaetomol was already fairly surprising. I shall rephrase: "I suspect many prescription drugs are at least as dangerous as aspirin." The other drugs often say pretty shocking things in side effects warnings, like "not to be prescribed to the eldery" or "can cause spontaneous rupture of tendons" (really!)

What is shocking is the lack of control. Quite often, my mum goes to the chemist to pick up her prescription, and there's some new drug there, that she sometimes doesn't even know what it's for, and they do sometimes have extremely unpleasant side effects. Her legs swelled up like tree trunks last time, but she didn't realise she should stop taking the pills untill she went back after 4 weeks. Another time she asked the doctor for something a bit stronger than the paracaetamol, so the doctor prescribed codeine "8 tablets to be taken a day" or something, so my mum thought she then had to take all eight, every day, rather than just a couple when she was in pain, so that made her sick as a dog, and now she thinks she musn't take codeine.

I know there isn't an easy solution for dealing with the medical needs of the elderly, but I do think it offers striking contrast to the medical establishment's paranoia about us getting our hands on aspirin.

Here's a table of the legal status of various Aspirin preparations:

Link to boring table

GSL = buy anywhere

P = buy under pharmacist supervision

POM = prescription only

Your dispersible probably comes under "non-effervescent" in the table.

P products tend to be more expensive, as the retailer marks up with their cost of having a pharmacist on the premises.

For best price, you want a GSL product and a seller who doesn't care how many packs you buy!

Fair comment, but I thought the paracaetomol was already fairly surprising. I shall rephrase: "I suspect many prescription drugs are at least as dangerous as aspirin." The other drugs often say pretty shocking things in side effects warnings, like "not to be prescribed to the eldery" or "can cause spontaneous rupture of tendons" (really!)

What is shocking is the lack of control. Quite often, my mum goes to the chemist to pick up her prescription, and there's some new drug there, that she sometimes doesn't even know what it's for, and they do sometimes have extremely unpleasant side effects. Her legs swelled up like tree trunks last time, but she didn't realise she should stop taking the pills untill she went back after 4 weeks. Another time she asked the doctor for something a bit stronger than the paracaetamol, so the doctor prescribed codeine "8 tablets to be taken a day" or something, so my mum thought she then had to take all eight, every day, rather than just a couple when she was in pain, so that made her sick as a dog, and now she thinks she musn't take codeine.

I know there isn't an easy solution for dealing with the medical needs of the elderly, but I do think it offers striking contrast to the medical estblishment's paranoia about us getting our hands on aspirin.

If you read the side effects then you would never take anything.

The bottom line is when you introduce a drug into your body you are nearly always introducing a foreign substance that was not meant to be there in the first place. So the likelyhood that it will cause some undesirable effects as well as some desired ones are quite high. The question really is are the side effects and risks acceptable given the main issue that the drug is trying to treat. For example ruptured tendons sound nasty, but then so is a heart attack. is a 1 in 10000 chance of ruptured tendons worth the risk in taking a tablet for a 1 in 5 chance of preventing a heart attack ?

These are the sorts of issues that have to be balanced and done so by experienced professionals who are better at assessing risks than you and I. One would hope nowadays that IT tools exist to help them further in this regard.

The paranoia is due to people commiting suicide with asprin I think.

I couldn't find any figures on asprin but did find this :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/218024.stm

So 200 deaths a year around the time of the restrictions. I don't know how many from asprin, and I don't know how this has gone down/up as a result of the ban.

What price the OPs inconvenience ?

Opinion : Armchair internet.

Tried a properly accredited uk online pharmacy?

Chemist direct have 75mg dispersible aspirin for 99p/100

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dispersible-aspirin-tablets-75mg-low-dose-aspirin_1_2783.html#2783

I've used them before. You may have to fill in a short form asking why you want them if it's over the counter medication though.

http://www.pharmacyregulation.org/registers/pharmacy/registrationnumber/1101588

Tried a properly accredited uk online pharmacy?

Chemist direct have 75mg dispersible aspirin for 99p/100

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dispersible-aspirin-tablets-75mg-low-dose-aspirin_1_2783.html#2783

Thank you. It's 99p for the product, but £3.49 for postage, and they'll only allow me to buy one bottle. (I'm not saying I necessarily want to buy more than one bottle, but at £3.49 to post it, I was seeing if increasing the quantity would help the postage costs per bottle.)

I am not sure I agreed with him but he said if everyone started doing this we would end up with a large number of gastric bleeding problems.

I take at least 400mg of aspirin most days for my headaches (often more), and have never suffered from gastric bleeding.

...either that or you will have to create a demand somehow,.......place in strong plastic bag and beat with rolling pin, there are some very accurate scales about nowadays, you could even divide up into your own blister packs for ease of use. ;)

It sounds like you know about other drugs! Don't do this bag of white powder at airport thingy! :blink: