House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SleepyHead

Osbrown Economics

Caution advised imo. Here's a question I asked him in a live online Q&A in October:

Comment From The B.L.T.

My local MP (Con) strongly supports the extension of debt servitude via Help to Buy. His majority is circa 2,500. Should I vote for him?

3:07

Douglas Carswell:

Do support him. But send him a copy of von Mises and he may one day see the error of his ways.

Yet further up the same Q&A session:

Comment From eviltory

Why should I vote for any of the three big parties at Westminster given how many MPs were either convicted for expenses fraud or managed to sneak out of trouble by 'paying the money back because I'd made a mistake'? If I made a similar 'mistake' I'd be in gaol.

2:44 Douglas Carswell:

Why not judge the record of the individual standing for office? That is why openness and transparency are so vital. It allows the voters to make a judgement about the conduct of their representatives.

The problem that Carswell, and other 'sound money' types Baker and Hannan have is that they have quite consciously made a decision to accept the Tory shilling and they have didly squat chance of making any difference within their party. I can handle Carswell being a good MP for his constituency party, but advising others to vote for Tory MPs who espouse the sort of policies he regularly criticises does his credibility a lot of damage imo as it makes him a resolute defender of the status quo.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100239036/douglas-carswell-qa/

edit bad english.

Edited by The B.L.T.

Caution advised imo. Here's a question I asked him in a live online Q&A in October:

Yet further up the same Q&A session:

The problem that Carwell, and other 'sound money' types Baker and Hannan have is that they have quite consciously made a decision that accepting the Tory shilling and they have didly squat chance of making any difference within their party. I can handle Carswell being a good MP for his constituency party, but advising others to vote for Tory MPs who espouse the sort of policies he regularly criticises does his credibility a lot of damage imo as it makes him a resolute defender of the status quo.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100239036/douglas-carswell-qa/

Some credit (pun intended) here - first time I have seen an MP on a mainstream channel talk about the problem of credit being created by banks from nothing, which creates boom and bust. That's a Big step. Was obvious the interviewer had NO idea what he was hearing, by the way...!

Carswell was at it this time last year as well, in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9858379/Osbrown-economics-has-failed.-What-next.html

I don't understand the Tory party - they seem split between anti-EU/monetarists/keynesians/austerians/Austrians. But then true conservatism has no commitment to a single economic ideology and Thatcher was a fad.

Carswell talks common sense.

If Carswell were my local Conservative candidate, at the time of the next election, I would not vote for him. But, if he were the leader of the Conservative Party, I would vote Conservative, irrespective of the local candidate.

If Carswell were my local Conservative candidate, at the time of the next election, I would not vote for him. But, if he were the leader of the Conservative Party, I would vote Conservative, irrespective of the local candidate.

Yeah but you are a dyed in the wool Tory boy so that ain't much of a shocker. :)

Edited by Olebrum

Pretty obvious stuff to anyone with a brain. So not many people sadly.

Not one tory watching that would disagree with it or think of it as news.

The fact is they all know this, but doing whats good for the country isnt what wins elections and winning elections has become the goal of politicians at the expense of the people they pretend to represent.

Both parties do the same thing but for different reasons. Unfortunately that same thing is wrong, so when you vote your choice is between those who are messing it all up by mistake because they think 'its the right thing to do' or those that are messing it up and know they are messing it up but think keeping the party out of power that will mess it up again is more important than not messing it up themselves.

Pretty obvious stuff to anyone with a brain. So not many people sadly.

Not one tory watching that would disagree with it or think of it as news.

The fact is they all know this, but doing whats good for the country isnt what wins elections and winning elections has become the goal of politicians at the expense of the people they pretend to represent.

Both parties do the same thing but for different reasons. Unfortunately that same thing is wrong, so when you vote your choice is between those who are messing it all up by mistake because they think 'its the right thing to do' or those that are messing it up and know they are messing it up but think keeping the party out of power that will mess it up again is more important than not messing it up themselves.

Precisely.

There's the "right thing to do", and then there's "the right thing to do to win an election".

Unfortunately, the two don't overlap very often. :)

We have another hero. Douglas Carswell.

Well now, this man is talking economic sense! In fact he needs to join UKIP right away. There is no one in any mainstream party speaking about the true state of the economy, the credit boom, the wrongs sort of growth, the exportless recovery, the balance of payments in crisis, the savings rate at a 40 year low. The signs of an Osborne self destruct are ll in place. UK Titanic is ready to sink again, but only after the elction of course. This time and more unusually, it will be a Conservative mess. Mrs T is now turning, but sadly only in her grave.

Well now, this man is talking economic sense! In fact he needs to join UKIP right away. There is no one in any mainstream party speaking about the true state of the economy, the credit boom, the wrongs sort of growth, the exportless recovery, the balance of payments in crisis, the savings rate at a 40 year low. The signs of an Osborne self destruct are ll in place. UK Titanic is ready to sink again, but only after the elction of course. This time and more unusually, it will be a Conservative mess. Mrs T is now turning, but sadly only in her grave.

He;s the kind that ought to jump ship to UKIP just before the election, id imagine he'd win by a landslide if his local electorate accepted he's speaking the truth,

I agree with much of what he says, in this case.

What I want to know is - why on earth a liberal would involve themselves in the Conservative party? And if I wanted to support this kind of liberal politics, how can I trust someone who associates with a bunch of landlording, protectionist, censoring, NIMBYs?

Strange that a man who appears to speak from the corner of his mouth is one of the few politicians at the moment who seems to be talking straight. :lol:

He seems to think that the Tory party are in favor of free markets- has that ever actually been true?

They pretend that there might be some intelligent opinions on the economy within the party that just might just might one day be listened to and even hold sway at some time in the future. They know very well their role of pretence and that's why they are given air time. They are like the europhobes who have a similar role of pretence.

The chances of them ever holding sway are next to nothing.

No - they're irrelevant, don't give a single vote on the basis of their pretence. Don't do it. The only realistic basis is what their party is actually DOING right (wrong) now.

Edited by billybong

Strange that a man who appears to speak from the corner of his mouth is one of the few politicians at the moment who seems to be talking straight. :lol:

He seems to think that the Tory party are in favor of free markets- has that ever actually been true?

At certain times (not recently), but the Tories have been in favour of subsidies and protection for most of their history, with varying emphasis on the beneficiaries.

Carwell talks sense, but he leaves open the major question of sound money. What is that? Is it shiney? Is it linked to land values, to energy resources, to the wellbeing of people?

I broadly agree with everything he said there. Good to see that viewpoint getting on the news. Naturally the details of what reforms he is in favour of need discussing. It's a shame he has aligned himself with a political party though. It will continue to undermine his convictions and I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for him as a Tory (or any other party).

If Carswell were mu local MP I would tell him to fk off and get a proper job:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5431746/MPs-expenses-Douglas-Carswell-claimed-700-in-expenses-for-love-seat.html

He initially designated the £1 million flat in south west London as his second home after being elected in 2005. He claimed more than £21,000 for a deposit, rent, food and furniture over 15 months.

The MP then began renting a £335,000 house in Thorpe Le Soken, Essex, in March 2007, and designated this as his second home. He again paid for the security deposit from his expenses.

He then used his allowances to pay for furniture, including the £655 "Maximus" love seat in deep moss brushed cotton, with extra fabric protection from sofa.com. Mr Carswell lives at the house with his wife, Clementine.

He said: "I bought the love seat and bed when moving into the home with my future wife. We have since got married and have had our first baby."

Since the couple moved in, Mr Carswell has claimed a total of £32,000 in expenses related to the house.

He also owns a property in Hertfordshire, which he rents out. Mrs Carswell sold her flat in south-west London for £500,000 last year

"

Seems that he really does talk from the corner of his mouth. Carswell is nothing more than an opportunist short term thinker who feeds off the insecurities of voters whilst keeping his nose firmly in the trough. You have been warned.

Edited by campervanman

If Carswell were mu local MP I would tell him to fk off and get a proper job:

Seems that he really does talk from the corner of his mouth. Carswell is nothing more than an opportunist short term thinker who feeds off the insecurities of voters whilst keeping his nose firmly in the trough. You have been warned.

Getting someone else to buy you a house + fittings, the soundest money of all. dry.gif

Had some Twitter exchanges with Mr Carswell. He feels that house prices and rents should eternally go up, because this brings forth more supply of course. Every one knows that.

Of course when you point out that a trebling of house prices has led to a near collapse in new supply, he goes strangely quiet.

Yet another Tory that mouths off about free market economics, but when it effects his sainted vested interests quietly changes his tune. In other words, yet another rentier shill.

I don't buy it, it's as though they deliberatly wheel out the occasional back bencher to speak some sense so they look like they care. Its a distractional tactic while they plough on with their plan.

I care what you do, not what you say.

Had some Twitter exchanges with Mr Carswell. He feels that house prices and rents should eternally go up, because this brings forth more supply of course. Every one knows that.

Of course when you point out that a trebling of house prices has led to a near collapse in new supply, he goes strangely quiet.

Yet another Tory that mouths off about free market economics, but when it effects his sainted vested interests quietly changes his tune. In other words, yet another rentier shill.

Yes, I used to follow him on Twitter, gave up because he seemed to be a passionate free marketeer who never once cared to mention land or housing.

Edited by Dorkins