House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

What Planet Are They On?

Sell your excess DVD players and have a packet to put down on the house!

This is so laughable that it just beggars belief.

http://www.mfgonline.co.uk/news/newsarticl...p?unqueid=15389

FTBs seeing double to tune of £377 million

The Co-operative Bank has revealed first-time buyers (FTBs) are sitting on a collective fortune of £377 million in unwanted duplicate possessions.

FIRST TIME BUYERS SEEING DOUBLE TO THE TUNE OF £377 MILLION SAYS CO-OPERATIVE BANK

The research, undertaken to mark the recent launch of the Bank’s first time buyer mortgage service, reveals that couples buying their first home together could add on average nearly £1,000 to their deposit fund if they sold the items they double up on.

So well equipped are today’s first time buyers that spare items go far beyond a surplus kettle or the odd CD. In fact, many couples even have items in triplicate. A gadget-friendly one in eight (13 per cent) confess to owning three or more DVD or video players, and one in seven (14 per cent) have three or more home computers.

<i>Yet close to six in ten couples (58 per cent) will not sell their duplicate belongings with nearly half (47 per cent) believing that their spare goods are worth too little to sell, and one in eight literally throwing money away by binning or dumping their spare items.</I>

And I'm sure a lot of these FTB'ers are young attractive females. Could they not go out to work in lapdancing bars to help fund the deposit.

The youth of today are just not doing their upmost to keep money pouring into financial institutions, it's a downright bloody disgrace.

And I'm sure a lot of these FTB'ers are young attractive females. Could they not go out to work in lapdancing bars to help fund the deposit.

A few years ago you could make a lot of money that way (a friend made a movie set in a lapdancing club and some of the women in the movie did it for a living), but I wouldn't be surprised if cheap Eastern European competition is hitting that market too.

Sell your excess DVD players and have a packet to put down on the house!

This is so laughable that it just beggars belief.

http://www.mfgonline.co.uk/news/newsarticl...p?unqueid=15389

The research, undertaken to mark the recent launch of the Bank’s first time buyer mortgage service, reveals that couples buying their first home together could add on average nearly £1,000 to their deposit fund if they sold the items they double up on.

</I>

Right, an extra £1,000 per couple. That goes a long way towards the average house price doesn't it?

Sounds like desperation to me. It's going to take a bit more than that to get the marginal buyer back into the market.

Wow, a whole 1k. That's got to be at least 2 weeks worth of MEW for most homeowners.

If DVD player are only £25 these days - how much does a second hand one go for?

(Sounds like a BS article to me)

Wow, a whole 1k. That's got to be at least 2 weeks worth of MEW for most homeowners.

(Sounds like a BS article to me)

Mrs bottletop put an advert on her work's noticeboard advertising a spare 14" telly we had...for £15

Guy comes round the next day willing to pay the full amount. He only had a tenner, a bit of change, and a twenty, so he got it for £11.83 in the end and we were happy with that. So we ordered a pizza...for £13.99

Second hand electronics have virtually no value - I wouldn't pay more than 10-12 for a dvd player, or £150 for a 1 year old £1000 computer.

See one of the links in my sig... for free electronics, you just need to arrange to collect...

50 Fridge and washer Jacki Rotherham Yorkshire S65 Details

53 WASHER DRYER Russell East London London IG11 Details

56 Microwave. Pauline Sheffield Yorkshire S36 Details

57 Tape Deck. D Choulerton London London N2 Details

122 AC/DC apdator for Power Devil Fiona Uxbridge Middlesex UB8 Details

161 Two Brass Effect Ceiling Lights. Anastasia Fraser London London E10 Details

168 Tumble drier Amanda Guildford Surrey GU1 Details

182 Hotpoint freezer Karin Kettering Northamptonshire NN15 Details

184 Hairdryer hood Lynne London London E4 Details

214 CANOPY SUNBED Marina Sheffield Yorkshire S6 Details

Edited by moosetea

I paid £60 for mine, but that was 3 years ago, so it must be worth at least £180 by now. There's a shortage cause of all the immigrants coming to this country to watch DVD's, there's 10 asylum seekers to a Samsung in some parts of the country, so £180 it is, come on don't miss the boat.....oh sod it £250, why should I give it away..........

Edited by Neil D Possitt

The Co-operative Bank has revealed first-time buyers (FTBs) are sitting on a collective fortune of £377 million in unwanted duplicate possessions.

FIRST TIME BUYERS SEEING DOUBLE TO THE TUNE OF £377 MILLION SAYS CO-OPERATIVE BANK

I took part in this research (or at least I think I did).

The questions were loaded beyond belief but I still tried my best to avoid the obvious result they were looking for.

I actually thought the headline would be that 'FTBs can't afford to buy because they are spending so much on having all the latest gadgets and if they did without like we did they would be able to buy no problem' (or words to that effect) - because that is the way the questions were loaded.

I hate this sort of headline because it says 'Our research discovers that black is actually white' and totally ignores the fact that aside from anything else there are good research techniques and bad research techniques.

I wonder if the cooperative bank is prepared to pay them the £1000 in return for the goods. If not why not ?

Exactly! If they really believe this they should put their money where their mouth is & actually allow FTBs to pay their deposit in used household goods

:D

So the Co-op Bank are saying that if don't spend so much in the shops, then we can spend more on servicing the loans they offer us.

Am I missing something or is that what the UK economy is seeing already?

I've got an ipod and a laptop. No wonder house prices are unaffordable to me.

An ipod is a luxury item, you should have used the money as deposit on a BTL :blink: