House Price Crash Forum

The Hpc Bucket List

JoeDavola

HOLA441

So I've had a few drinks and in between preparing for my upcoming trip to Budapest I'm thinking what other things I can do and places I can go, given the face that I've got some money saved up, refuse to spend the money on an overpriced house, and have given up on finding a life partner....

...I always enjoy being in the water so I'm looking at sailing holidays and suchlike; however I know there's plenty of worldly-wise folk here so I ask you; what is on your bucket list OR what have you done that you think should be on others bucket lists?

Places to go; things to do. Nothing is too extreme, nothing is too perverse; we live in rather nihilistic times anyway.....

.....however 'buy a house' is not allowed as an answer ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Bungee jump

Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge

See stromatolites in their natural habitat

Dine in the Tiffin Room at Raffles in Singapore

Fly over Everest

Off you go now...

Prize for guessing which three of the above I've done already.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

A good thread to focus

Give up going to a 'place' to work and work from wherever I please in the world - almost there.

Visit:

E. Kamchatka

Okavango Delta (Footsteps in the Delta)

Take a Wait a little holiday

Festival in the Desert, Timbuktu

Skeleton Coast when it rains

Revisit Latrabjarg, Iceland around 1st week in July

Lofoten Is

Antarctica

Hike from Landmannalaugar-Porsmork again (Iceland) and do the extra bit to Skogar that weather prevented last time - unfinished business.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I love the water too: many things yet to do. There's nowt to beat a good river! So let's focus there ....

What whitewater sports have you tried, and where? Alas, our UK rivers have very little to offer there.

Have you swum in a natural whirlpool?

Have you swum in a lake on the arctic circle?

... or my moment of infamy, gone for a long swim after dark, been reported as a suspected suicide(!), so the police came out looking :huh:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

South beach miami to LA / new mexico via the southern states in a modern day mustang or dodge charger.

Staying in motels and just doin what you want

The Californian stretch of the Pacific Coastal Highway is another iconic American roadtrip, the scenery's spectacular (when the fog rolls in over the sea during dawn it's really something) and the road is one of the few in the US that isn't a boredom inducing straight line as it directly follows the coastline. Inland there are loads of great vineyards and the wine they keep for themselves is a lot better than the stuff they export. The waters are relatvely cool in relation to surface temperatures which actually makes for a massive amount of wildlife, a lot of which is easily visible anyway but I expect you'd see much much more if you scuba dived or snorkeled. Totally fascinating standing on the top of the cliffs watching seaotters eating shellfish by floating in the water and smashing them against a stone held on their bellies (beware of rattlesnakes when walking in wilder areas though, I speak from experience of running away very very fast which I'm not sure is what you're supposed to do, also caught a black widow under the bed on one occasion come to think of it)

scenic_high1_bigsur.jpg

Pacific-Coast-Hwy-cover.jpg

pch-fog3.jpg

6-sea-otters.jpg

road-trip-ideas-paci-2_600x0w.jpg

I have a burning ambition to go back and do the Pan American Highway which runs all the way from Alaska down to the tip of Patagonia, minus the Darien Gap on the Panama-Columbia border.

HOLA4413

A good thread to focus

Give up going to a 'place' to work and work from wherever I please in the world - almost there.

Yeah, I'm pretty much there as well. Got my boss to the stage where they are half expecting a request to move to east Asia. Think I'll be OK where I am at the moment for a while though.

Fancy going to Antarctica myself. If I'm absolutely honest, however, I don't really like travelling much. I do, and have done, a fair bit with work - and it's nice to be able to relax when on holiday nowadays (especially when the missus expects to me organise/fund it all).

HOLA4414

I've achieved quite a few of my "must dos" in the last 5yrs actually, but looking back I was always wanting to tick off a list of things I thought I should be trying at least once. In reality it's not that important, but I do feel somewhat more relaxed about dying now that I've experienced a few things. Anyway in no particular order....

1. Live and work abroad

2. Get married/find long term partner

3. Get a tattoo (yeah whatever heh)

4. Try various illegal substances (I was obsessed with 60's psychedelia in my youth)

5. Play in a band (only for musos)

6. Drive all over the USA (this is serious fun)

7. Own a house (not all it's cracked up to be and I'm about to sell for a flat)

And the ones I have yet to achieve....

Own a pet dog

Find peace of mind

Be content with my lot

Oh and since we're showing off travel shots, here's a few of mine!

The white sands of New Mexico

PC290042_zps922cbb9a.jpg

PC290088_zpsfb7ef02d.jpg

Los Angeles

PB290105_zps3ef03045.jpg

Malibu (Pacific Coast Highway)

MALIBUPB300074_zpsa8223d0d.jpg

Arizona

P8300012_zps86b07e7a.jpg

Phoenix

AFBPIC_0042_zps8ce33c6c.jpg

E.T. house, L.A. :)

PB290051_zps6752d5ea.jpg

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

So I've had a few drinks and in between preparing for my upcoming trip to Budapest I'm thinking what other things I can do and places I can go, given the face that I've got some money saved up, refuse to spend the money on an overpriced house, and have given up on finding a life partner....

...I always enjoy being in the water so I'm looking at sailing holidays and suchlike; however I know there's plenty of worldly-wise folk here so I ask you; what is on your bucket list OR what have you done that you think should be on others bucket lists?

Places to go; things to do. Nothing is too extreme, nothing is too perverse; we live in rather nihilistic times anyway.....

.....however 'buy a house' is not allowed as an answer ;)

I expect you know about the 'ruin bar' scene in Budapest, but if not, check out Szimpla Kert for starters; probably the best bar I've ever been to.

http://taste.fourseasons.com/2013/12/ruin-pubs-budapest/

Bar Piaf is also worth a look.

HOLA4421

Learn Spanish (have started this)

Learn to scuba dive - will get this done this year

A few "big trips" that I hope to do in the next few years...

Travel up Alaska using local ferries

Visit Churchill, Canada during polar bear season

Fly to Atlanta, rent a car and visit Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans. Wish I'd done this before I gave up drinking

Cruise to Antartica.

Would love a dog but I live alone and work full time, so don't think that would be fair...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I don't have anything at all on my bucket list. Not sure what that says about me. It isn't because I've already done loads of things, because I haven't! Just can't think of anything I'd like to see or do!

Me neither! You can see everything on the Internet nowadays! :lol:

I've been to a few places, not the ones many people desire to see!

HOLA4424

I don't have anything at all on my bucket list. Not sure what that says about me. It isn't because I've already done loads of things, because I haven't! Just can't think of anything I'd like to see or do!

Just curious but I see you've listed your interests in your profile. Isn't there a band you'd like to see, instrument to learn, or a place/thing you'd like to take a picture of?

HOLA4425

Woke up at 4am this morning with a sore head and a bad mood and then realized...."oh feck I posted that topic on HPC". Was pleased to see the replies make more sense than I was making last night.

South beach miami to LA / new mexico via the southern states in a modern day mustang or dodge charger.

A west coast road trip is at the top of my holiday's bucket list; and has been for several years. I think the chances are that I'll end up doing the road trip this summer, going with a tour company as I've spent too long waiting to find a suitable travelling companion!

What is it that your doing? I like the 'security' of having a job but the amount of unproductive time in the average office job (commute/meetings/chatter with co-workers) is huge.

Buy a boat and live aboard?

I'm looking at boats at the minute and some of them seem to be better value than apartments!

If you're going to Budapest, I think a visit to the baths is in order?

http://visitbudapest...budapest-baths/

Thanks yes this is on my list of things to do, along with a cruise down the Danube. It looks like you can rent a boat outside the parliment buildings and go for a row so plan on doing that too.

I love the water too: many things yet to do. There's nowt to beat a good river! So let's focus there ....

What whitewater sports have you tried, and where? Alas, our UK rivers have very little to offer there.

Have you swum in a natural whirlpool?

Have you swum in a lake on the arctic circle?

... or my moment of infamy, gone for a long swim after dark, been reported as a suspected suicide(!), so the police came out looking :huh:

No whitewater sports; this has only been a recent realizartion - in the last few years I've seen New York from the Staten Island ferry, taken a tour down the Chicago river, another down the Thames from Westminster to Greenwich, ridden a little pedalo through the canals of Amsterdam, taken a boat down the Sienne from the Eiffel tower; heck when I was in Liverpool recently I even enjoyed the Mersey ferry.....

....in all these cases I loved the amount of space there was around me; it's an amazing way to see any part of the world. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun if the water was full of boats in the same way that the streets are full of cars!

Kayaking is top of my list, and there's a few places here in Ireland that I'd like to see by Kayak, but I do like the idea of living on a boat for a while; I live in a one bedroom flat so I know how to travel light. Need to spend a while looking into the practicalities of that though.

I actually searched and found that topic before posting the current one! But from what I remember there wasn't many actual bucket list suggestions in that topic, hence me posting this one.

4. Try various illegal substances (I was obsessed with 60's psychedelia in my youth)

5. Play in a band (only for musos)

Loved your photos; both these things are on my list too.

When I was young I never went near drugs (was too sensible), but having just turned 30 I'd like to give most of them a go once.

I expect you know about the 'ruin bar' scene in Budapest, but if not, check out Szimpla Kert for starters; probably the best bar I've ever been to.

http://taste.foursea...-pubs-budapest/

Bar Piaf is also worth a look.

I didn't know about that, thanks for the info!

It means that you are content, and I'm rather jealous of that!

Archived