House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

erat_forte

Crystals

The missis was in a crystal shop today (don't ask). She was curious that the various crystals were advertised quite blatantly with medical claims e.g. "helps with sleeping", "good for a bad back", "cures depression", that kind of thing.

How come this is not illegal? I'm sure that food and other ingestibles are forbidden from making this kind of claim unless they are properly tested and certified by the medical authorities?

The missis was in a crystal shop today (don't ask). She was curious that the various crystals were advertised quite blatantly with medical claims e.g. "helps with sleeping", "good for a bad back", "cures depression", that kind of thing.

How come this is not illegal? I'm sure that food and other ingestibles are forbidden from making this kind of claim unless they are properly tested and certified by the medical authorities?

I too like pretty ornaments! Must be the female side of me? I have a collection of "Uranium Glass", which glows under UV light, and sets off the Geiger counter. I am not a charlatan, and I do not claim it has any health benefits!

In fact it is low level nuclear waste, but I still like it! My friend's kids think it's brilliant, when I put the UV lamp on! :huh:

What a perfect Uncle I am. :o

It is illegal. Report them to your local Trading Standards http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/ and if any of the claims were in the form of leaflets that could be taken away from the store or advertising in the window then report them to Advertising Standards (who tend to be more effective then TS) http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/4/Spirit-Walker-Crystals/SHP_ADJ_221910.aspx

Don't think they have a section on crystal healing but this is a very good site for documenting the adverse consequences of allowing these kinds of unsubstantiated treatments to go unchallenged: http://whatstheharm.net/

crystals=charlatanism

Along with astrology, spiritualism, fortune-tellers, spraying yourself orange and Samantha Fox's slimming tea, it is only the female brain that can fall for this böllocks.

As a bloke, I am of course immune to this shite - and thus have to be fleeced at the pub, the betting-shop, the titty-bar, the Child-Support Agency and the petrol pumps...!

And thus balance is restored to the universe...

XYY

Along with astrology, spiritualism, fortune-tellers, spraying yourself orange and Samantha Fox's slimming tea, it is only the female brain that can fall for this böllocks.

As a bloke, I am of course immune to this shite - and thus have to be fleeced at the pub, the betting-shop, the titty-bar, the Child-Support Agency and the petrol pumps...!

And thus balance is restored to the universe...

XYY

You are a fine role model for a young lad! ;)

IIRC it comes down to belief. If the person making the claim honestly belives that the claim he is making is true then it's not a matter for the criminal law and, effectively, he can make it without risk of prosecution.

On a totally separate matter I've learnt that having s** with goats leads to eternal life. Form an orderly que please.

IIRC it comes down to belief. If the person making the claim honestly belives that the claim he is making is true then it's not a matter for the criminal law and, effectively, he can make it without risk of prosecution.

Ah, its a religion then.

If it doesn't sustain you its because you didn't believe strongly enough.

Or is it magic?

Ah, its a religion then.

If it doesn't sustain you its because you didn't believe strongly enough.

Or is it magic?

Ben Goldacre's book "Bad Science" spends quite some time on the genuine medicinal power of convincing bullsh*t, or placebo as it is more commonly called.

On a totally separate matter I've learnt that having s** with goats leads to eternal life. Form an orderly que please.

Que?

I like the fake surgery, where they palm some sheep guts and pretend they've taken the tumour out. Andy Kaufman fell for this guff.

That said I'm not an out-and-out cynic; the power of positive thinking is huge and if you get that by staring into the depths of a crystal then that works doesn't it. Plus they're pretty.

Just another rock from the ground....like diamond or gold, it can be or do what you want it to be or do, or worth what others want you to pay for it. ;)

I like the fake surgery, where they palm some sheep guts and pretend they've taken the tumour out. Andy Kaufman fell for this guff.

That said I'm not an out-and-out cynic; the power of positive thinking is huge and if you get that by staring into the depths of a crystal then that works doesn't it. Plus they're pretty.

Absolutely! I'm staring at my Uranium glass ornaments right now, behind a lead shield of course. Only kidding. ;)

If you want to see the depths of gullability of the British public visit a psychic fair. I was taken to one by a woman once and could not believe the sheer quantity of charlatonism on display. Even if you are by normal standards a bit dim and suggestible seeing the punters at one of these events will make you feel like a genius with a will of iron.

http://www.pink-fridge.co.uk/f_psychics/fairs.htm

edit add link

Crystal Meth cures acne, apparently.

Hmmmm... I think we've all seen the before and after pictures. I don't wish to downplay acne which can be a curse for many teenagers but it is preferable to open sores.

If you want to see the depths of gullability of the British public visit a psychic fair. I was taken to one by a woman once and could not believe the sheer quantity of charlatonism on display. Even if you are by normal standards a bit dim and suggestible seeing the punters at one of these events will make you feel like a genius with a will of iron.

http://www.pink-fridge.co.uk/f_psychics/fairs.htm

edit add link

Nice disclaimer at that link:

Be warned though, the fair organisers do not necessarily guarantee the authenticity of the vendors at the fair - it is up to you to decide whether a psychic is genuine or not.

Some of them work though. My wife bought some crystals that were said to sweeten tea and it's true, they really do work! Then she turned up with some others that make chips taste nicer. Amazing stuff.

Some of them work though. My wife bought some crystals that were said to sweeten tea and it's true, they really do work! Then she turned up with some others that make chips taste nicer. Amazing stuff.

:lol:

She must be a right sucker to fall for that charlatanism!

Nice disclaimer at that link:

I thought they had to say they were for entertainment purposes only these days.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/58395

Petition against it.

Although these don't.

http://www.aprilcrawford.com/id27.html

We believe that many if not most well known mediums and psychics use the disclaimer "for entertainment purposes only" in order to limit any legal liability that they may be subjected to under diverse state laws.

We don't state this up front because while the entities that speak via the deep trance channeling of April Crawford can indeed be quite entertaining, we don't consider ourselves or them entertainers. This process is real.

A lot of people believe all sorts of irrational things. Some women believe enormous plastic tits will improve their lives. Some men believe a flash car attracts women. Obviously not in Frank's case.