House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wherebee

Wall Thermostat For Old Fogeys

Some oldies I know in the UK need a wall thermostat installed so that they can heat their little 2 bed bungalow without having to wrestle with the boiler. Any suggestions for an idiot proof wall one? I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/86W-Voltage-Thermostat-single-control/dp/B000LO7A4E

which is nice and simple, but they also need a timer that lets them set it to go on and off - but SIMPLE stuff, no space age buttons.

Any recommendations/suggestions from the HPC collective?

Just set it to 32 degrees, and feed them cabbage! Old people like that! :blink:

I have a simple one like that with the words acl on the front...dial only with temp settings set around, the aim is to feel comfortable then turn to the lower temperature, that together with all rads with individual thermostats, saves lots... ;)

I have a simple one like that with the words acl on the front...dial only with temp settings set around, the aim is to feel comfortable then turn to the lower temperature, that together with all rads with individual thermostats, saves lots... ;)

only thing is they need a timer on it - and that one looks like is manual only. Ideally, one with a big button that say 'TIME ON' and a big button that says "TIME OFF' and one more button that says "MANUAL ON/OFF"

only thing is they need a timer on it - and that one looks like is manual only. Ideally, one with a big button that say 'TIME ON' and a big button that says "TIME OFF' and one more button that says "MANUAL ON/OFF"

Like this? ;)

$%28KGrHqIOKocFDwTEgTEBBREhu82Tng~~60_35.JPG

Like this? ;)

$%28KGrHqIOKocFDwTEgTEBBREhu82Tng~~60_35.JPG

Thanks, but too complex. They WILL ****** it up by twisting the 'base' time wrong on those type of things.

The problem with technology it is mostly designed by people under the age of fourty, who have no idea what it is like to grapple with sliders,dials, and digital displays when you are over 50 years of age.

Let alone people like me with fingers like sausages instead of dainty wee things that the Japanese guys have.

New install, or replacement? Old thermostats are two-wire, most now are three wire. I've just had to replace mine, all I wanted was a simple two-wire dial type device to set the temperature. It took a deal of finding.

The modern ones have digital displays, elaborate timers, all sorts of buttons to be set up. Presumably they have internal batteries (wouldn't bank on it), but once these have lost their luster, then every little power outage means another ten minutes struggling with some obtuse man-machine interface to get the heating back on.

The problem with technology it is mostly designed by people under the age of fourty, who have no idea what it is like to grapple with sliders,dials, and digital displays when you are over 50 years of age.

I've been thinking about this for a while myself now. It's quite shocking that the modern world has been made unsuitable for people for almost half their adult lives. When you're younger, you think it's faintly comic that old people can't use the video recorder, but as you get nearer the age, you realise it's actually outrageous and potentialy quite serious. Can't help much with the OP. My mum's boiler has an electric control, and whenever the electricity blacks out (several times every winter) it needs reprogramming, which is a pain in the **** even for me. And it's bloody hard to read the tiny display.

Personaly, I can't answer or hang up my mobile (I only get about one call a year) without accidently switching it off instead.

Personaly, I can't answer or hang up my mobile (I only get about one call a year) without accidently switching it off instead.

You need one of these ...I will buy one soon..no assumptions being made here! just that the phone looks like what it is intended for...making and receiving calls but not making a cake or creating a symphony with.. smile.gif

http://www.amazon.co...=dual+sim+phone

Well I'm glad the HPC masssssssive is getting where I am coming from. fiddly bits and small writing are out, as is anything you can take off and lose.

still hoping someone will send me a link of wonder...

Let alone people like me with fingers like sausages instead of dainty wee things that the Japanese guys have.

I know how you feel....I will avoid anything that looks too complicated with digital displays....simple is best, including microwave ovens, it has to be a simple dial model nothing else will suffice, same with washing machines etc.....none of that complicated stuff with a million options/features I don't want or will never use for me.....less certainly is more. ;)

I know how you feel....I will avoid anything that looks too complicated with digital displays....simple is best, including microwave ovens, it has to be a simple dial model nothing else will suffice, same with washing machines etc.....none of that complicated stuff with a million options/features I don't want or will never use for me.....less certainly is more. ;)

Apparently there is an android app, for a cell phone that will talk to my washing machine, and tell me when the filter is blocked. I just want clean clothes and sheets!

I rather liked my old washing machine, made by Hieronymous Bosch in Germany. It only had 3 settings called "Zart", "Buegelfrei", and "Normal". I only used "Normal". It was rather old and may have washed Hitler's underpants.

:blink:

My in-laws, both in their late 70s, recently got one of these after seeing ours inspired intense jealousy. They are now telling everyone who'll listen (and many who would rather not) about how cool (literally, given the southern California climate) it is to drive it from their iPad in bed!

Will this programmable thermostat suit my system?

We have a programmer on the boiler, this sets the times that the boiler and hot water start and stop. 3 stop/start times each day for weekdays and different times at weekends (5/2). We have a thermostat that controls the temperature, one temperature only. If we want to change the temperature at different times of the day we have to physically adjust the thermostat.

If we change the thermostat for one of these programmable thermostats do we have to set the programmer on the boiler to constant and then let the thermostat programme operate the boiler. Or do we have to remove the programmer from the boiler?

Thanks, but too complex. They WILL ****** it up by twisting the 'base' time wrong on those type of things.

I think they'd be better off with a simple open fire.

Will this programmable thermostat suit my system?

We have a programmer on the boiler, this sets the times that the boiler and hot water start and stop. 3 stop/start times each day for weekdays and different times at weekends (5/2). We have a thermostat that controls the temperature, one temperature only. If we want to change the temperature at different times of the day we have to physically adjust the thermostat.

If we change the thermostat for one of these programmable thermostats do we have to set the programmer on the boiler to constant and then let the thermostat programme operate the boiler. Or do we have to remove the programmer from the boiler?

I have a different wireless thermostat, with much more complicated controls, but it only manages the room temperature, not the hot water. I think this is the same principle. So if I understand your question correctly, and you are asking about the hot water, I think you keep that as it is. This gives you the option of modifying the house temp automatically, so cooler at night when asleep etc.

This is the one I want, when it comes out in the UK that is:

http://nest.com

I think they'd be better off with a simple open fire.

I believe coal is currently the cheapest way to heat your home too. You still need a timer though, to get the wife up at 6 a.m. to rake up the ashes and get the fire going again

I believe coal is currently the cheapest way to heat your home too. You still need a timer though, to get the wife up at 6 a.m. to rake up the ashes and get the fire going again

You also need to not give a four-x about the Clean Air Act, if you live in an area covered by it.

That having been said, when I was growing up in south London in the 1970s, we had open fires for heating using Coalite, which was allowed under the clean air regs. I can't remember how much it cost, but am guessing that it was a lot more expensive than ordinary coal, though.