House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

What Are All These Vigils About?

Why do we seem to have vigils so often these days? Did we always used to have them and I didn't notice? Can't people just feel what they feel without having to be part of a collective to validate their feelings (then again: HPC.co.uk :))

The vigil fad is starting to get on my nerves a bit.

For example:

Mark Duggan family to hold 'peaceful' vigil in Tottenham.

Michael Schumacher fans to hold 'silent' birthday vigil.

Thanks for being a part of a congregation to which I also belong, and allowing me to get that off my chest. :D

They wouldn't bother if the press didn't turn up.

Me neither! :blink:

Its probably a result of the Diana effect. People needing to show their feelings in public.

When facebook just isn't enough.

Give me my privacy and life back! :huh:

They wouldn't bother if the press didn't turn up.

Symbiotic relationship,

Some people want publicity and the papers have column inches to fill.

The media could put real news into the papers but that would mean employing real journalists which they do not want to do

If you look at the print, internet and tv media many of the 'news' stories are not news at all

A classic example was BBCs breakfast news on 02/01/2014 leading with the story that season tickets were going up by more than the rate of inflation at the beginning of January 2014

Not only was this known about for months in advance but also it happens every year at the same time. As such it is hardly 'news' at all

You see the same thing with GCSE and A level results every year.

I am waiting for the media to start announcing the daffodils coming into bloom in spring as news (in fact they already do run these type of stories).

does a vigil serve any purpose. except to give fuel to a family that thinks duggan was innocent, which he quite patently was not.

live by the gun die by the gun.

I guess a "vigil" is a protest, of the most non violent sort, so I won't complain too much.