House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patfig

Giving To Charity

Mrs PF in a fit of heartfelt generosity responded to some appeal and gave £3 to a well known bone marrow charity.

They have since kept calling her on her mobile ever since. She has asked them not to call again but tonight they have called again twice.

My advice a get f_cked is usually final

Anyone had the same issues?

PF

Mrs PF in a fit of heartfelt generosity responded to some appeal and gave £3 to a well known bone marrow charity.

They have since kept calling her on her mobile ever since. She has asked them not to call again but tonight they have called again twice.

PF

Yep, it's happened to me in both the UK and Canada. It seems like standard practice sadly.

Those persuasive daytime TV ads.

I had somebody at the door trying to get me to fill in my bank details, I wouldn't but was happy to give a fiver as it was an ok charity and he said he wasn't allowed to accept money. Literally their loss.

I wouldn't consider letting them get their hands on my mobile number, I won't even let my bank have it.

Those persuasive daytime TV ads.

I had somebody at the door trying to get me to fill in my bank details, I wouldn't but was happy to give a fiver as it was an ok charity and he said he wasn't allowed to accept money. Literally their loss.

I wouldn't consider letting them get their hands on my mobile number, I won't even let my bank have it.

This is why I generally avoid giving to charity unless it is cash or something like Just Giving which does seem to respect you privacy requests.

Next time you see somebody "down and out" begging, with his dog, why not buy him a pastie, and some dog food, and obviously a cheap can opener and paper plate!

In this way you can avoid paying to fill up some charity's CFO's Bentley with fuel. :blink:

I donate online. I'd never give any of them my phone number.

Years ago I signed up in the street for a small monthly DD for a charity for the blind. They wanted my phone number (no way) and my age (irrelevant and none of their business). The Chugger said OK, not needed.

Later I had a letter from them saying they were 'unable' to process my 'application' (!) without this information.

Letter went in bin. DD of course came out of account every month anyway.

I donate online. I'd never give any of them my phone number.

Years ago I signed up in the street for a small monthly DD for a charity for the blind. They wanted my phone number (no way) and my age (irrelevant and none of their business). The Chugger said OK, not needed.

Later I had a letter from them saying they were 'unable' to process my 'application' (!) without this information.

Letter went in bin. DD of course came out of account every month anyway.

You could always cancel it if you decided you didn't like people with white sticks, and retrievers in harnesses!

You could always cancel it if you decided you didn't like people with white sticks, and retrievers in harnesses!

Or don't like unscrupulous shysters getting rich off the back of charitable donations.

Or don't like unscrupulous shysters getting rich off the back of charitable donations.

Are you referring to that Bentley, Frank? Seriously, some of these people behave like bankers!

A while back, a mate of mine got a new "mini stereo" and gave the old one away on Freecycle. Could have sold it on EBay I suppose, but that's hassle. So some bloke turned up on a bicycle, wanting a present for his daughter for Xmas. She is 5 and won't notice it's not quite new! Still I hope the bloke was "genuine", if so, then that is real charity! :huh:

Are you referring to that Bentley, Frank? Seriously, some of these people behave like bankers!

A while back, a mate of mine got a new "mini stereo" and gave the old one away on Freecycle. Could have sold it on EBay I suppose, but that's hassle. So some bloke turned up on a bicycle, wanting a present for his daughter for Xmas. She is 5 and won't notice it's not quite new! Still I hope the bloke was "genuine", if so, then that is real charity! :huh:

It is harder than ever to sort out the genuine people.

If you just want stuff gone then it's an easy way of doing it.

All the charity shops are begging for stuff but unless it's new then are just not interested.

It is harder than ever to sort out the genuine people.

If you just want stuff gone then it's an easy way of doing it.

All the charity shops are begging for stuff but unless it's new then are just not interested.

they also like "antiques", whatever they are!

Next time you see somebody "down and out" begging, with his dog, why not buy him a pastie, and some dog food, and obviously a cheap can opener and paper plate!

In this way you can avoid paying to fill up some charity's CFO's Bentley with fuel. :blink:

I know somebody who does this, if she has a (wrapped) kebab she will give it away and then go and buy another one for herself. She's not remotely preachy about it and just happened to mention it one day.

PF

I got an insurance quote not that long ago, the initials were wrong and there was a spelling mistake in the name on the quote information......six months later I got charity begging letters with the same errors.....they must have sold my details to a third and forth party......that is why I do not ever give to cold calling or unsolicited mail.......many of these charities do not spend money wisely.....much of the money they get does not go to the cause it goes into the intermediaries full pockets. ;)

I know somebody who does this, if she has a (wrapped) kebab she will give it away and then go and buy another one for herself. She's not remotely preachy about it and just happened to mention it one day.

I did it in the past until I lived in Hulme and realised all the big issue sellers had flats and more cash than I did.

Was sitting on the southbank and a sweet girl of about 25 with an even sweeter dog asked for money to buy the dog some food.....as it happens I had part of my packed lunch not eaten in my bag and asked if her dog would like some, she said yes, and I could tell it was very much enjoyed, then she said thank you I must get back to work now. ;)

In the past I've given to e.g. WWF, RSPCA, PDSA, Greenpeace.

And do get some mail from them from time to time.

I suppose that once you have expressed an interest in their work via a donation then if they're trying to raise more funds the most obvious candidates are people who have given before.

My slant on your question, though, is that it's not really about the charities. It's about giving out your phone number. Or rather, not doing so.

I only give that to the people from whom I would want to receive a phone call. I don't accept calls from anonymous or withheld numbers, and won't normally answer any calls from numbers which are not in my list of contacts and the phone can't show me who it is that is calling.

Our "landline" number is a VOIP number which tries my computer initially but has a long enough pause between that and trying my mobile that speculative callers tend to give up and I can see the inbound numbers when I'm next at my PC, tap them into Google and that will tell me who they were.

"Junk calls" seem to have been partly replaced by "junk text messages" these days, so I don't give out the mobile number either. If a website insists on a number, 01234 567890 usually works.

My daughter once bought a Big Mac for someone who was begging on a London street with a 'Homeless and Hungry' placard.

He told her to f*ck off, he wanted money.

There was someone supposedly homeless who for years was begging in the same place in Kingston. Eventually it turned out that he had a nice flat and many K in the bank. Over the years I had given him quite a bit, plus the odd tin of food for his dog.

Nowadays if I want to help the homeless I give to the Sally Army/Crisis/St Mungo's, who let them bring their dogs.

My daughter once bought a Big Mac for someone who was begging on a London street with a 'Homeless and Hungry' placard.

He told her to f*ck off, he wanted money.

There was someone supposedly homeless who for years was begging in the same place in Kingston. Eventually it turned out that he had a nice flat and many K in the bank. Over the years I had given him quite a bit, plus the odd tin of food for his dog.

Nowadays if I want to help the homeless I give to the Sally Army/Crisis/St Mungo's, who let them bring their dogs.

Should have had a "buy me drugs" placard. :o

None of 'em get my name, let alone contact details.

But in shops I regularly use I'll ask who the charity box is for, so selected charities get my change (other charities, no chance). And I'm fine with one-offs, so when Shelterbox were collecting outside Morrisons for the Phillipines typhoon they got more than change.

I've decided to be quite perverse about it - as soon as i'm made to feel guilty about any sort of charity, i won't give them any money.

Chuggers at train stations that practically block your way, jingle buckets in your face, i'll walk straight past.

Some old fella collecting for the british legion, that just stands out of the way, he'll get my money.

I think it's a reaction against what feels like extra attempts at taxation really - i feel guilty for not handing over money i don't need, then get angry about feeling guilty. Doesn't help that there's the same set of 'homeless' people day in day out that beg by the local bar, one fella i'd spot on the underground with a very impressive spiel going coach to coach..