House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Chilli Powder, Chilli Oil, Or Harissa Paste?

In HPC tradition I'll select something which is not an option- get to your local Asian shop and buy proper chillis for a song, then make oil and harissa from them.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/harissa-paste-recipe

These are very tasty:

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/moroccan-style-lamb-burgers

all of them..... and make your own chilli sauce, you can buy whole small chillies red and green in jars that keep refrigerated for many months, use when required. ;)

Bodrum-Turkey-Food-Travel-Blog-My-Kiki-Cake-16.jpg

I second this. Chillies are very easy to grow and very productive, so well worth growing your own and drying/freezing etc.

Agreed

I have grown them in a little pot on the kitchen window sill in the past with no bother.

Chillis are actually one of the former European colonial empires gifts to worlds cuisine.

Without them to export the products from the Americas to Asia, Africa and elsewhere during Columbian Exchange there would be no hot curries or harissa sauce. Sadly they are not always used with discretion in cooking particularly in the UK where they are too often deployed as a culinary sledge hammer.