House Price Crash Forum
worzel

My Mp And Young Nimby's

Lots of NIMBY threads today, so I thought I'd start one too.

I'd been thinking of contacting my MP to register my irritation at government policy towards housing. I still cant decide whether its worth engaging with these people as it just strengthens their belief that they are of use. Anyway, I saw this article on his website. Poor children have been persuaded to sign a petition to indirectly, keep house prices high.

My link

I'd been thinking of contacting my MP to register my irritation at government policy towards housing. I still cant decide whether its worth engaging with these people as it just strengthens their belief that they are of use. Anyway, I saw this article on his website. Poor children have been persuaded to sign a petition to indirectly, keep house prices high.

My link

I've contacted 2 different local MPs, both times I found the whole thing very unpleasant.

They have their own agenda and as far as I can tell are egotistical, only toes the party line and were pretty rude/ignorant.

They really don't like being talked down to/answered back and get infuriated when you tell them they are talking bollax....( though that was only after getting absolutely no where with them ).

I currently refuse to move house just so I can vote against my current MP and I am rubbing my hands in anticipation of them ( or their cronies ) turning up on my doorstep to beg me to vote for them.

Maybe others have had a better experience :lol:

P.S. They really don't like being told they are there to serve you. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Anyway, I saw this article on his website. Poor children have been persuaded to sign a petition to indirectly, keep house prices high.

Amazing, isn't it? "All green-field development is bad" is seemingly taken as a basic axiom, generally on the basis that some scenario might allow the destruction of something worth preserving. Not 'will', but 'might'.

Amazing, isn't it? "All green-field development is bad" is seemingly taken as a basic axiom, generally on the basis that some scenario might allow the destruction of something worth preserving. Not 'will', but 'might'.

Yep - as if this country wasn't totally covered by forests not so long ago. You only have a moral case for objecting to this sort of thing if you live in the wild and forage for berries for your food.

I've contacted 2 different local MPs, both times I found the whole thing very unpleasant.

They have their own agenda and as far as I can tell are egotistical, only toes the party line and were pretty rude/ignorant.

They really don't like being talked down to/answered back and get infuriated when you tell them they are talking bollax....( though that was only after getting absolutely no where with them ).

I currently refuse to move house just so I can vote against my current MP and I am rubbing my hands in anticipation of them ( or their cronies ) turning up on my doorstep to beg me to vote for them.

Maybe others have had a better experience :lol:

P.S. They really don't like being told they are there to serve you. :lol::lol::lol:

Can you name?

I briefly joined my local Labour party (I have other more embarrassing secrets) in the heady after glow of "New Labour", and they were the creepiest, loathesomest, slimiest bunch of weasely pole climbers that I have ever met. I don't know where they come from, because I never met any one like that at any of te schools I went to, or anywhere at all outside of politics for that matter. The actual MP was quite a likable old buffer though.

NIMBYism has only arisen because the population of the UK is rising.

Why?

Immigration mainly.

But try telling that to your local MP.

Most of them have such a strong sense of their own self importance, positively hiss with escaping arrogance, and because of their worryingly deep seated personality defects are unable to grasp the bigger picture and realise that you cannot keep stuffing more and more people into the UK unless you build on all the green bits.

To them, immigration is good for the economic benefits etc.

NIMBYism is also good because if they support it, they gets lots of local publicity which can translate into votes.

The fact that the one causes the other does not enter their heads.

I worte to my MP in Chester about Help to Buy. He said it was a great idea (I paraphrase) and got Treasury Secretary Sajid Javid to write to me about it too when I responded to the initial reply. I should add that this MP had not uttered a word of support about this scheme publically, so I'm sure he was aware of the acute corrosive qualities it has to Conservative MP's majorities (his is circa 2,500). The scheme was, and continues to be panned by anyone and everyone who is not connected with the Conservative party in some way.

It was after this exchange of views (barely counts as a discussion really) that I joined Twitter, as it is pretty obvious that it is largely ineffectual and a waste of time to engage mainstream MPs. Even his heir apparent, the Labour PPC Chris Matheson, a Union bod of some sort, is currently enjoying taxpayer-funded BTL income by renting out his London pad(the constituency is Chester I might add) to a current MP. His hands are in the till and he ain't even an MP yet. There's little point engaging with these people any further.

Edited by The B.L.T.

Why?

Immigration mainly.

Yep. There would certainly be a lot less of it if there wasn't a continual prospect of more and more continually being built forever. If there was no real prospect of continually growing cities, towns, and villages there would be much less objection to providing the necessary development to get us to all to a good standard of living. There would be some, of course, and some people will be right in that there are better places to build things than right next to their house (even if they don't care for that reason).

Why?

Immigration mainly.

Most of them have such a strong sense of their own self importance, positively hiss with escaping arrogance, and because of their worryingly deep seated personality defects are unable to grasp the bigger picture and realise that you cannot keep stuffing more and more people into the UK unless you build on all the green bits.

To them, immigration is good for the economic benefits etc.

NIMBYism is also good because if they support it, they gets lots of local publicity which can translate into votes.

The fact that the one causes the other does not enter their heads.

No, like almost all problems in the uk it's a symptom of house price inflation.

People fighting tooth-and-nail to protect their treasure.

A school opening next-door could cost your average couple

more than they would ever have been able to earn for themselves over their whole career.

Whereas, in a functioning economy, if you don't like the new neighbours, you just move.

Edited by (Blizzard)

Here's another, in the shape of equine expense aficionado Nadhim Zahawi:

http://www.zahawi.com/viewblog.php?postID=120

I posted a comment under my own name but it has since been made anonymous.

The councilor who has also posted appears to be a greytop:

http://www.chichester.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5120&ward=all&party=all&cllrID=20779&search=1

I briefly joined my local Labour party (I have other more embarrassing secrets) in the heady after glow of "New Labour", and they were the creepiest, loathesomest, slimiest bunch of weasely pole climbers that I have ever met. I don't know where they come from, because I never met any one like that at any of te schools I went to, or anywhere at all outside of politics for that matter. The actual MP was quite a likable old buffer though.

I met them at school, they were typically found under a pile of chairs by the end of break time.

My link

At least they are engaged with the political process.

Right now, they are being used perhaps, or as posters on this site might view it.

But, they will start thinking for themselves and may continue to be politically active as a result of this 'petition to Downing St'.

So in a small way, Soames is also doing a good thing.

No, like almost all problems in the uk it's a symptom of house price inflation.

People fighting tooth-and-nail to protect their treasure.

A school opening next-door could cost your average couple

more than they would ever have been able to earn for themselves over their whole career.

Whereas, in a functioning economy, if you don't like the new neighbours, you just move.

Isn't that the sad truth. :(

My link

We should send these young nimbys abroad to save some rainforests.

Edited by buyerbeware

Yes it is only a field we chopped the forests down sometime back.

Yes it is only a field we chopped the forests down sometime back.

The current crop of petitions and campaigns focus on a potential threat to ancient woodlands, but I can't make out whether the threat is real or not. What annoys me is that are, no doubt, preservation campaigns I'd be happy to support, but it's all so emotive and unquestioning that I've just given up trying to work out what's true and what's polemical exaggeration.

The current crop of petitions and campaigns focus on a potential threat to ancient woodlands, but I can't make out whether the threat is real or not. What annoys me is that are, no doubt, preservation campaigns I'd be happy to support, but it's all so emotive and unquestioning that I've just given up trying to work out what's true and what's polemical exaggeration.

I am all for protecting native woodlands and trees, there should be enough ex-agricultural land to build on.

I am all for protecting native woodlands and trees, there should be enough ex-agricultural land to build on.

Agreed

Why do you need to destroy natural habitats when there are so many wild life deserts created by farmers that could be built on .

Plus on a lot of agricultural land the only thing being farmed are the subsidies from the EU and the like.