House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aclwalker

Police Use Taser...in Petrol Station.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4465384.stm

Police in Newmains use a Taser gun for the first time in Scotland in a petrol station.

Is it sensible to fire such a weapon in a petrol station? We are told not to use mobile phones for risk of sparks causing an explosion.

The Taser produces lots of very high voltage sparks.

Was this an intelligent move by our police?

Italian petrol pump attendants will always have a lit fag hanging from their mouths (I think it's obligatory), however the conscientous ones will take it out of their mouths before serving, and balance it on the edge of the petrol pump!! Raised a few eyebrows the first few times we saw it, but after 3 years of it, we were as blase as they were. In winter they used to have bonfires in oil drums to keep warm On the forecourt!

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Lets face it, the thing most likely to cause sparks in a petrol station is car electrics. Alternators, starter motors & solenoids, dodgy plug leads, loose battery connections etc, will all produce sparks far in excess of what a mobile phone is capable of.

The only safe thing is to ban all vehicles from petrol stations :D

Urban Legends

For the record, the "reason" you aren't supposed to use mobile phones in a petrol station is because of static build up and not sparks...

Although I am aware that is just as ridiculous and probably even MORE unlikely!!!

As for the police using tazers in a petrol station, I am more concerned that they seem to have a habit of using them on "suspected suicide bombers"...

Now that IS stupid!

Guest consa

Also for the record, I did an extensive module at college regarding double insulated underground petrol storage tanks, believe me they will not blow up, all the safety valve and stuff, you may ignite any fumes in an area but all that will do is singe your eyebrows :lol: so get your tazers out and zap any petrol pump queue jumpers.

Lets face it, the thing most likely to cause sparks in a petrol station is car electrics. Alternators, starter motors & solenoids, dodgy plug leads, loose battery connections etc, will all produce sparks far in excess of what a mobile phone is capable of.

The only safe thing is to ban all vehicles from petrol stations :D

Urban Legends

_I_ know that, I'm just pointing out how ludicrous this paranoia about mobile phone use in petrol stations is. Another poster says it's not the mobile phones themselves that's the 'problem' but the build of static. Well even so, the risk is still sparks.

Seen the sparks a Taser produces?

:lol:

As usual, noboby in the press picks up on this apparent discrepency. Maybe we'll see signs up banning Tasers from forecourts.

I wonder perhaps if the mobile phone warning is just a continuation of the rumour started in the early 80's that high powered CB radios could cause an explosion in petrol stations?

The real risk apparently was not of explosions, but that the signal would interfere with the electronics in the pumps, causing them to lose track of how much fuel had been supplied! Petrol stations were quite happy to perpetuate the explosion myth for obvious reasons.

I notice that no one tells the police not to use their radios in filling stations....

Guest consa

I notice that no one tells the police not to use their radios in filling stations....

Bit off topic but why do they allow police cars to fill up at the most expensive frickin petrol stations, we are paying for that - I know this cos I see it most days - rant over

Bit off topic but why do they allow police cars to fill up at the most expensive frickin petrol stations, we are paying for that - I know this cos I see it most days - rant over

I have never seen a cop car fill up in a public petrol station. Now I come to think about it why have I _not_ seen this before?!? :unsure::unsure::blink::blink:

ever put something metal in the microwave?

seen the sparks?

this is what a mobile phone that's transmitting can do but it happens inside the pump or the big rubber hose, not the tank.

the signs are there for a reason.

Guest consa

I have never seen a cop car fill up in a public petrol station. Now I come to think about it why have I _not_ seen this before?!? :unsure::unsure::blink::blink:

Because they have a pump at the police station, presumably VAT free for their use, I suppose they are allowed to fill up anywhere if needed but where I have seen them fill up is only 2 miles from their own pump :angry:

ever put something metal in the microwave?

seen the sparks?

this is what a mobile phone that's transmitting can do but it happens inside the pump or the big rubber hose, not the tank.

the signs are there for a reason.

The cooking power of a microwave is, say 800 watts or more concentrated over a very small area. The transmit power of a phone is at most 1-2 watts spread over a wide area - no way thats going cause any significant amount of sparks inside a petrol pump.

If it did, why don't people using mobile phones while driving petrol cars get blown up all the time then? Anything that can cause sparks inside a petrol pump could also cause sparks inside a cars fuel system! Why aren't there warnings in the street, telling people not to use mobile phones near gas mains? Couldn't the phone cause sparks in the gas main & blow it up?.......

Couldn't the phone cause sparks in the gas main & blow it up?.......

suppose they could if a new type of phone was invented that can cause sparks in a plastic pipe.....

you seem very sure of this subject, ever actually looked into it?

or is it uninformed reasoning on your part?

suppose they could if a new type of phone was invented that can cause sparks in a plastic pipe.....

you seem very sure of this subject, ever actually looked into it?

Presumably the same new type of phone that you claim can cause sparks in a rubber petrol hose......

Yes I have looked into this, and I would take the claims that this is a serious risk a little more seriously if there was one single case anywhere in the world, confirmed by the fire investigation authorities, of an explosion in a petrol station actually being proved to have been caused by a phone!

Those that have been initially attributed to phones by the media have always subsequently been found to have another cause when investigated properly.

Presumably the same new type of phone that you claim can cause sparks in a rubber petrol hose......

presumably being the operative word.

i'd love to know where this petrol station is where the hoses are made purely of rubber.

I've never heard that tale about mobile phones and petrol stations before.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if mobile phones really do interfere with hospital equipment :unsure:

There is an episode of a program called "Mythbusters" which I've been trying to get hold of. It was originally shown on the Discovery channel and they test the theory that a mobile could cause a petrol explosion by trying to get one to do it in practice.

The episode was on this week at lunchtime. (too much free time). The myth with the mobile phone was busted, but they proved that a static build up on clothing could cause a spark.

Guest Bart of Darkness

There is an episode of a program called "Mythbusters" which I've been trying to get hold of. It was originally shown on the Discovery channel and they test the theory that a mobile could cause a petrol explosion by trying to get one to do it in practice.

Sounds like a job for Brainiacs on Sky 1.

I hope Mythbusters used a mock up. Would be expensive if they really had managed to blow a petrol station up.

Still, if it was somewhere out in the middle of nowhere in the US, they might just get away with it.

Some of those places don't even show up on the map.