House Price Crash Forum

Its A Steakybake-Less Recovery

spyguy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

OK I used this one the last greggs thread ....

"recovery is baked in"

Being a veggy, I avoid Greggs.

One of my kids likes the pizza slice so I get to look at the selection while she chooses.

I would not the term 'baked' for Greggs. Warmed up and re-greased is more apt.

HOLA444

It's really not that bad food at Greggs for an occasional snack on a wet morning (pasties have real meat in and aren't all crust) - but it's too pricey. Especially if you buy 5 pasties for family or something.

Sausage rolls do always look greasy though - they should be using proper lard pastry not puff.

HOLA445

No surprise really. I used to buy an occasional 4/6 monthly sausage roll or ham and cheese bake. I believe the former was around 4 for a quid and the latter about 50p a piece. I think the sausage rolls have doubled and the bakes even more so.

So I decided I’d make my own, which is obviously even cheaper than the price used to be!

They seem to have had a boom period where they managed to cash in on the declining fast food high street industry. I’ve no doubt the spinsters will probably say that the decline of Greggs is because the recovery is in full swing and everyone is now dining at the Ritz. The reality is Greggs like the rest have just got greedy and will cause their own demise (wholesale costs do not reflect them kind of rises, nor rents, nor the minimum wage they’ll be paying).

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Greggs seem to be less popular of late. A few years ago they seemed to be riding high with much patronage from the charva/buggy momma/Catherine Tate schoolgirl demographic. A bit like a noughties version of Spudulike.

They've gone down the same route as the rest:

1. Reduce quality

2. Reduce portion size

3. Increase price

It's almost like there's a "numptynomics" school of business development which thinks everyone is so thick they won't notice such tactics and it never fails to backfire on them.

HOLA4410

It's almost like there's a "numptynomics" school of business development which thinks everyone is so thick they won't notice such tactics and it never fails to backfire on them.

My God! You've discovered the secret to an MBA!!!!

Wonder if they've thought about out sourcing the baking to India?

HOLA4411

They've gone down the same route as the rest:

1. Reduce quality

2. Reduce portion size

3. Increase price

Due to the completely and utterly insane policy to print money in a crazy attempt to make everyone rich we have had runaway inflation for the past decade. Energy price have doubled, food prices have doubled fuel prices have doubled and rates have been kept at bubble levels. So the choice facing manufacturers is to reduce quality, increase prices or a bit of both.

Obviously this has dramatically decreased out standard of living and made us all much poorer. But the BOE would not be told. In fact they still wont listen to reason, in the face of all the evidence. Numptynomics is probably a good word for it.

HOLA4412

In my area (Liverpool) Pound Bakery's have sprung up everywhere and seem to be doing really well. Always big queues whereas Gregg's and other competing bakeries are for the most part empty in comparison. The fayre aint great tbh but it's cheap and when people's finances aren't in great shape, price trumps quality..

HOLA4413

In my area (Liverpool) Pound Bakery's have sprung up everywhere and seem to be doing really well. Always big queues whereas Gregg's and other competing bakeries are for the most part empty in comparison. The fayre aint great tbh but it's cheap and when people's finances aren't in great shape, price trumps quality..

Grease is the word...

HOLA4414

If turnover is low enough - can they avoid charging VAT?

Or is all this still (?) VAT free anyway?

HOLA4415

Same here. Pound Bakeries sprang up. Also I think Greggs opened too many stores, too close together.

HOLA4416

Many years ago Greggs used to have an offer which included a negatively priced doghnut.

Drink + Sandwich was £3.65

Drink + Sandwich + Doughnut was £3.50

Used to buy the deal each day and give / throw the doughnut away. I tried asking if I could pretend to take the doughnut but they wouldn't have it.

HOLA4417

Many years ago Greggs used to have an offer which included a negatively priced doghnut.

Drink + Sandwich was £3.65

Drink + Sandwich + Doughnut was £3.50

Used to buy the deal each day and give / throw the doughnut away. I tried asking if I could pretend to take the doughnut but they wouldn't have it.

Couldn't you just have got the middle of a ring doughnut :lol:

HOLA4418

Near where I work there is a small shopping street that has a Gregg's, Greenhalghs, and A N other bakery all within a few doors of each other, don't know how they survive.

Every now and again I'll nip in Gregg's for a steak bake, and their Rocky Road is really good!

HOLA4419

It's really poor quality stuff. They can't even do the basic bakery stuff right like sausage rolls (often soggy not crispy) and doughnuts (hard and not soft and fluffy). 90% of the time stuff is cold, hardly ever warm. They also took over Bakers Oven brand which was pretty cheap but far superior in quality. They changed the recipes over to Greggs after a while and taste dropped off.

Then there's their business practices - they opened 3 in a stretch of a couple of hundred metres around 2 family run bakeries that were fine. Greggs had really cheap prices - as soon as the indies shut they wacked them up and closed one of the three within months.

Edited by sf-02

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I often called in for a pasty etc.That was until the doubled the price and cut the size in half.

Always used to be plenty of people in,now always empty.The pigeons always hung around outside as plenty of crumbs falling for them as people scoffed the pasties on leaving the store.Now even those have moved away so slim were the pickings.