House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snafu

Three (Mobile Phone) - No Signal - Anyone Else?

Anyone else on Three and experiencing issues with no Three.co.uk signal for 3g/LTE etc? I have signal bars on my phone, but it's for emergency calls only. In geordieland myself, for my sins.

Annoying as I can't even receive texts. Blah!

I can't help with your problem, it may well be a network thing.

However, I do wish phone manufacturers would not put that "emergency only" message on. It actually means "no service" and emergency calls are NOT available (but if you were with another network you would have signal).

I can't help with your problem, it may well be a network thing.

However, I do wish phone manufacturers would not put that "emergency only" message on. It actually means "no service" and emergency calls are NOT available (but if you were with another network you would have signal).

Oh really, no emergency calls? That's a bit crap.

999 calls work on any network according to Ofcom, they call it "emergency mobile roaming". Has been mandatory since 2009.

As for three my internet went out on 1st December and didn't start working until a week ago. Tech support at three said the phone

mast on my building was "totally degraded". I know it was xmas but this was the main mast in a city centre and it took them a month!

They have always been poor, but for the last month or so my phone will use 30-40% of its battery in an afternoon downstairs in the house trying to find a signal. Its fine upstairs (but only at the front of the house).

My brother is on Orange or whatever they call themselves now and his signal is now abysmal in the house and not much better outside.

Whether they have turned down the power on the 3g network for some reason I don't know but its nowhere near as good as it used to be.

edit: too many downs...

999 calls work on any network according to Ofcom, they call it "emergency mobile roaming". Has been mandatory since 2009.

As for three my internet went out on 1st December and didn't start working until a week ago. Tech support at three said the phone

mast on my building was "totally degraded". I know it was xmas but this was the main mast in a city centre and it took them a month!

I think they make it up as they go along. I just called them and they insisted there was an issue with my phone's signal and they said "oh yeah there's an issue with the mast near your house". But I'm at work 12 miles away?

It's been great since I got the phone in August but now no signal. Really annoying. Now doing a hard reset, as supposedly, that might help. I have my doubts.

I think they make it up as they go along. I just called them and they insisted there was an issue with my phone's signal and they said "oh yeah there's an issue with the mast near your house". But I'm at work 12 miles away?

It's been great since I got the phone in August but now no signal. Really annoying. Now doing a hard reset, as supposedly, that might help. I have my doubts.

Got mine in August too and it was perfect until 1st December. Never been right since really. I think they are having capacity issues, they even said that some cities

were at capacity in some article I read about 4G roll out.

Students using the all you can eat data plan I bet!

Solar flare due today.

But 3's working for me (at least it is if this post goes through).

Whether they have turned down the power on the 3g network for some reason I don't know but its nowhere near as good as it used to be.

We used Three 3G for our home broadband for about 5 years. When it was last working it ran at between 12 and 21 Meg down and about 3 Meg up. We can't get cable here and there was nothing to match it.

Then one day it started dropping the network. Got progressively worse. Signal flips from H+ to 3G and back again; 5 bar signal to 1 bar signal and back. You might think "dongle fault" but I have two and it's the same with both.

It's very odd. If they had turned down the power level at our nearest cell you wouldn't see 5 bars at all which is what we had for 5 years until it all went wrong. It's like the local cell disconnects you and the dongle goes to the next nearest one and back again. I wonder if this is an odd fault with their implementation of dual channel HSPA (DC-HSPA).

We have EE 4G now which is much faster (the 20 Meg up is incredible for mobile broadband). I never did get an answer from Three saying quite what they did, but customer churn is an accepted way of life these days. That's about £45 to £100 a month we no longer spend with them. It's a shame really.

ISTR it always did work, but you used to have to dial 112 rather than 999 for emergency services. The old Ericsson phone I had in the mid 90s used to display '112 ONLY' when out of its own network coverage area. I tested it once and dialling 112 when out of signal did indeed connect to the emergency services via another network.