House Price Crash Forum
ccc

Scotland To Look Into 'radical' Land Reform

Probably on i player ?

It was ok but nothing spectacular. Did have some land reform activist on who seemed to know his stuff.

Is it bad that my main problem without Scottish independence, apart from actually liking Scotland and Scots in general, is that I'm worried it will represent a removal of a large section of the progressive leaning electorate from British politics and I'm jealous that they'll probably end up with a much more progressive system than the rest of us would?

If there are any Scots reading this, please don't leave us alone with those arseholes in Westminster :(

Is it bad that my main problem without Scottish independence, apart from actually liking Scotland and Scots in general, is that I'm worried it will represent a removal of a large section of the progressive leaning electorate from British politics and I'm jealous that they'll probably end up with a much more progressive system than the rest of us would?

If there are any Scots reading this, please don't leave us alone with those arseholes in Westminster :(

Progressive MPs representing Scottish constituencies are the reason English students enjoy tuition fees today. Blair could not have passed the bill without their support.

The arseholes in Westminster are generally not divisible by country or party. Look at the more recent tuition hike vote-positions reversed from last time despite many of the same personnel on all sides.

I'll be disappointed if the Scots fail to launch. If they succeed it may have a domino effect across England's outer system. That will only be a problem if you live in the inner orbit of the Square Mile.

The rentier propaganda machine is cranking up. Comparing Alex Salmond with Mugabe :lol:

http://www.spectator...tors-notes-369/

It believes that big Scottish landowners are rich because they own the land. For a long time now, it has been the other way round. They own the land because they are rich. Once they own it, they tend to become a lot poorer. Then they sell it to new rich people with money to burn, and so on. Hardly any Highland land makes money.

Yup people get into land ownership to get poorer, probably why they need so much public sector help.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Progressive MPs representing Scottish constituencies are the reason English students enjoy tuition fees today. Blair could not have passed the bill without their support.

The arseholes in Westminster are generally not divisible by country or party. Look at the more recent tuition hike vote-positions reversed from last time despite many of the same personnel on all sides.

Sure, it's the progressive voters which I feel like we would miss rather than the current politicians, but as your example points out devolution has already done this to some extent as I'm sure those same Scottish MPs would have been voting against tuition fees if they'd equally applied to their own constituents for fear of losing their seats at the next election.

I'll be disappointed if the Scots fail to launch. If they succeed it may have a domino effect across England's outer system. That will only be a problem if you live in the inner orbit of the Square Mile.

Really? Surely it'll just boost exports ;)

Sure, it's the progressive voters which I feel like we would miss rather than the current politicians, but as your example points out devolution has already done this to some extent as I'm sure those same Scottish MPs would have been voting against tuition fees if they'd equally applied to their own constituents for fear of losing their seats at the next election.

Well it's true that Scots politicians have not acted in the same way against their own. Not sure the electoral maths has ever thrown up an opportunity to be fair. Blair got through by a very slim margin, although the commons majority at the time was much higher a decent but not good enough rebellion took place.

Please don't use the word 'Progressive' when what you mean is more lefty rubbish.

Remember Brown's 'Progressive Alliance?'

It lasted about 6 hours until Clegg told him to take a running jump.

Some poor Scottish "farmers" as well:

Farm business tops subsidy league with £1.2m handout

A small Deeside farming business has soared to the top of Scotland’s agricultural subsidy league table after more than trebling the amount of cash it receives in the last year

Frank A Smart and Son has collected more than £1.2million from the taxpayer.

Two other north-east farming businesses – Craigellachie-based Glenmore Properties, and Ross Bros, of Strichen – have also received £1million-plus awards from the single farm payment (SFP) regime.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1635315

By "progressive" I take it that you mean left-wing, statist or of an authoritarian leaning?

Who thinks the elite would allow Salmond to do this?

I don't know how they could stop him, and there's precedent for this kind of thing here. One of the earliest pieces of legislation from the Scottish Parliament (under a Labour/Liberal Democrat coalition) was the Land Reform Act of 2003:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Reform_%28Scotland%29_Act_2003

For one thing, landowners can't legally prevent public access to their land. Also, if they can come up with the funds, certain communities can buy land, in some cases even if the landowner has no desire to sell it. I think that some of the stuff that's being talked about now is just an extension of this.

Edited by Scunnered

By "progressive" I take it that you mean left-wing, statist or of an authoritarian leaning?

When I say progressive I literally meaning willing to try new things in order to move forward and away from the current status quo. Specifically I was thinking of a willingness to vote for radical changes to the current set up such as (but not limited to) a land value tax, a return to assured tenancies, funding for higher education in STEM subjects which actually have long term benefits for the economy, actually prosecuting bankerss for fraudulent activity and allowing banks to fail in a free market, and a greater reliance on public plebiscites and lower reliance on political parties in setting major policy. You know, sensible things. No idea whether that would be considered either left or right, I suspect it would depend on the style of implementation more than anything else as in contemporary politics these labels seem to be nothing more than substanceless PR exercises.

Some poor Scottish "farmers" as well:

Scotland should have a "Land Lottery" - Anyone owning over 1000 acres has everything over 1000 acres closest to their dwelling put into the lottery.

That would free up a few acres for each person. Course, you wouldnae be able to dae anything with it! (Except shoot the odd stag straying onto your patch?)

Scotland should have a "Land Lottery" - Anyone owning over 1000 acres has everything over 1000 acres closest to their dwelling put into the lottery.

That would free up a few acres for each person. Course, you wouldnae be able to dae anything with it! (Except shoot the odd stag straying onto your patch?)

Depends where it is. The link I posted was about Glenmore Properties (name since changed) receiving £1m in subsidies. That firm was owned by the Strathdee family who have bought lots of farms.

http://farmsubsidy.openspending.org/GB/recipient/GB292951/sm-fa-strathdee/

This is their website selling plots, some at six figures.

http://strathdeeproperties.com/sites.html

A very shrewd family! £1m in farm subsidies and housing developments all over the place.

Edited by Democorruptcy