House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Battered Sheffield Man’S Slave Ordeal

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/battered-sheffield-man-s-slave-ordeal-1-6358775

These shocking CCTV images show a vulnerable man with learning difficulties being beaten up by a Sheffield family who treated him as their slave.

David Rooke, aged 44, his wife Donna, 40, and their son Jamie, 19, forced the man - 34-year-old Craig Kinsella - to work 15 hours a day and live in their garage on Halifax Road, Parson Cross, Sheffield.

They used him as a ‘punchbag’ so he would not escape, and attacked him with a spade handle, crowbar and pickaxe handle.

They starved him, forced him to sleep on a concrete floor, and made him use a bucket as a toilet. He was so hungry he scavenged for food from a wheelie bin.

They took away his benefits, telling him it was to pay for his food, and made him work from 7.30am until midnight, cleaning the family’s ice cream business vans.

An emaciated Mr Kinsella, who has mild learning difficulties and a low IQ, was taken to hospital after he was found covered in bruises and suffering a broken arm and rib.

David Rooke was jailed for six-and-a-half years after he admitted false imprisonment and five counts of causing actual bodily harm. He was also ordered to pay Mr Kinsella £15,000 in compensation.

Jamie Rooke admitted affray and four counts of causing actual bodily harm and was jailed for four years.

Donna Rooke admitted a specimen count of battery and was jailed for four months.

Sentences seem on the light side for me. £15k compensation for essentially being tortured.

What's particularly depressing about that video is the whole family has a go, and they act as if it's completely normal. I could be wrong but they look like Irish traveller types, similar to the other recent case of slavery.

6.5 year sentence and he'll be out in 3 no doubt. The £15K payment is low enough to be an insult IMO.

Dreadful story. :( I hope Mr Kinsella can get on with his life as best as possible. Poor sod.

Vandals target home

If they owned the house then I wonder if some extra compensation could have been extracted from it...well in it's current condition anyway. The house should have been compulsarily purchased and flogged on at auction and the proceeds given to Mr Kinsella to help rebuild his life.

Dreadful story. :( I hope Mr Kinsella can get on with his life as best as possible. Poor sod.

Vandals target home

If they owned the house then I wonder if some extra compensation could have been extracted from it...well in it's current condition anyway. The house should have been compulsarily purchased and flogged on at auction and the proceeds given to Mr Kinsella to help rebuild his life.

Nice bit of natural justice there.

I am not cruel to people, although I am bloody rude sometimes!

Is this the "care in the community" we were promised? :blink: