House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Intel Drops The Mcafee Anti-Virus Brand, John Mcafee Says He Is 'everlastingly Grateful'

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/intel-drops-the-mcafee-antivirus-brand-john-mcafee-says-he-is-everlastingly-grateful-9044277.html

Eccentric programmer and former-fugitive John McAfee has described himself as ‘elated’ at the decision by Intel to remove his name from their anti-virus software.

"I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet,” McAfee told the BBC.

"These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users,” he added.

No mention of what Intel is now going to call the worst software on the planet.

:)

No mention of what Intel is now going to call the worst software on the planet.

Whatever it is, you can be sure that PC World will secure some deal on it which means they then try to force it upon everyone who has the misfortune to walk into one of their overpriced stores along with that "Tech Guys" application and really aggravating video that plays on a loop when you're setting up your new laptop.

:)

Whatever it is, you can be sure that PC World will secure some deal on it which means they then try to force it upon everyone who has the misfortune to walk into one of their overpriced stores along with that "Tech Guys" application and really aggravating video that plays on a loop when you're setting up your new laptop.

I always reload laptops, to get rid of all the crap on them.

I always reload laptops, to get rid of all the crap on them.

Yup, same here. I self build my own computers. I feel really sorry for people who buy fully loaded computers from pc world or Dell. I NEVER advocate McAfee software - it is awful. It just gets in the way of everything . The only anti virus I use is the one free from Microsoft....Microsoft essentials. Never had any problem with it.

Yup, same here. I self build my own computers. I feel really sorry for people who buy fully loaded computers from pc world or Dell. I NEVER advocate McAfee software - it is awful. It just gets in the way of everything . The only anti virus I use is the one free from Microsoft....Microsoft essentials. Never had any problem with it.

An inlaw of mine got a dell laptop about 4 years ago. Pretty lowend thing 1gb memory 60 gig harddrive, (but as I kept trying to explain to him its more computing power than was in the whole world up to about 1971, that includes Bletchly park and getting a man on the moon) and probably 100 times more than adequate for his needs of going online and doing a bit of iplayer. He occasionally prints things but generally he takes handwritten notes from the pages he is interested in.

The thing had slowed right down in recent times and someone had advised him to load up with PC fixers and registry cleaners etc eetc. These things ironically have slowed it down even further as they load up and try and sell him stuff.

He was asking me about buying new laptops, the other day and granted 400 quid is not alot but it sickens me that everybody is constantly updating phenomenally amazing computing hardware just to watch cats falling off chairs or celebs in bad dresses. So I did a deep reinstall of Windows XP, from the boot screen. This included a format of the c-drive. The thing is lightning fast now. Its faster than it was when it came out of the box. The old boy thinks I am some sort of computing genius like Bill Gates but with no money. Thing is I am not really that savvy when it comes to this stuff. So a couple of questions to those on here that know.

I did a reinstall before from the windows side, and left the automatic update thing on, it did improve it for a short while but within about 12 hours it had slowed down again. This time I have left the updater off and the laptop is still going great after 2 weeks. Does any body know will this cause any issues?

I am under the impression that all windows updates do is slow down previous versions of windows so you feel inclined to update software and hardware.

Also I have not installed any antivirus software. Theres no internet banking done on the machine and limited purchasing. Its also Windows XP 2003. The virus thing to me is more corporate induced paranoia to get you into a state of fear. I could be wrong though. What does the HPC hive mind think.

An inlaw of mine got a dell laptop about 4 years ago. Pretty lowend thing 1gb memory 60 gig harddrive, (but as I kept trying to explain to him its more computing power than was in the whole world up to about 1971, that includes Bletchly park and getting a man on the moon) and probably 100 times more than adequate for his needs of going online and doing a bit of iplayer. He occasionally prints things but generally he takes handwritten notes from the pages he is interested in.

The thing had slowed right down in recent times and someone had advised him to load up with PC fixers and registry cleaners etc eetc. These things ironically have slowed it down even further as they load up and try and sell him stuff.

He was asking me about buying new laptops, the other day and granted 400 quid is not alot but it sickens me that everybody is constantly updating phenomenally amazing computing hardware just to watch cats falling off chairs or celebs in bad dresses. So I did a deep reinstall of Windows XP, from the boot screen. This included a format of the c-drive. The thing is lightning fast now. Its faster than it was when it came out of the box. The old boy thinks I am some sort of computing genius like Bill Gates but with no money. Thing is I am not really that savvy when it comes to this stuff. So a couple of questions to those on here that know.

I did a reinstall before from the windows side, and left the automatic update thing on, it did improve it for a short while but within about 12 hours it had slowed down again. This time I have left the updater off and the laptop is still going great after 2 weeks. Does any body know will this cause any issues?

I am under the impression that all windows updates do is slow down previous versions of windows so you feel inclined to update software and hardware.

Also I have not installed any antivirus software. Theres no internet banking done on the machine and limited purchasing. Its also Windows XP 2003. The virus thing to me is more corporate induced paranoia to get you into a state of fear. I could be wrong though. What does the HPC hive mind think.

Oldies tend to have a knack for visiting dodgy links and getting viruses. Possibly because they don't update windows when there are exploits etc? I'd be worried about not updating windows but that's just me.

The only anti virus software I have on my own computer is windows defender. I did try avg and avast but found that they really slowed everything down to such an extent that it wasn't worth the hassle. I do like CCLEANER.

I am very careful if I receive any dodgy looking emails. The bottom line for me is that if there ever became a big problem, then I would just reformat the computer again and start afresh. I don't even bother with system restore. I do tend to install windows updates after a reformat but I don't have them on automatic.

Yup, Windows Update on XP machines is critically flawed. Each time a patch is superseded, dependency calculation time doubles so that svchost.exe now brings the venerable and multi-patched OS to its knees for extended periods. The only solution is to switch off Windows Update and do manual updates at regular intervals. Microsoft has apparently tried and failed to fix the problem, but is unlikely to put more more effort into finding a solution to a problem on a 10-year old OS.

Exponential Algorithm In Windows Update Slowing XP Machines

As for virus checking, the free Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work as well as any and doesn't seem to have much adverse effect on performance.