House Price Crash Forum
The Knimbies who say No

Link Between Poverty And Obesity In The U K

Caveat: I assume the data used here is accurate.

Obesity by income quintile in the UK:

income__1__2782473a.png

The text in the article is complete rubbish, as far as men are concerned. It's incredible how insensitive income is to obesity rates in men, in fact. Malnutrition and health issues may be a different matter, but straightforward BMI-defined obesity is not demonstrably linked to income in males. Which begs the question of whether resources have been wasted in attempting to deal with the problem in males. In females it seems there is a clear link, for whatever reason. The asymmetry is intriguing.

These days, obesity is unequivocally linked to poverty, while the rich - especially rich women – tend to keep thin. Looking around the Telegraph offices, one wouldn’t be aware of any obesity “epidemic” and the same would be true of any gathering of the educated, metropolitan elite. That said, the middle classes shouldn’t get too complacent – figures from the government’s National Obesity Forum show that weight problems are increasing at all levels of society – and with them, an increased risk of chronic, life-threatening conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/10525107/Why-is-Britain-fatter-than-ever.html

Edited by The B.L.T.

Good point re males.

How have they dealt with age?

There's an incomprehensible chart relating to children at the Telegraph link, I suspect the real answer will need a bit of digging on the the source site for the info:

http://www.noo.org.uk/

Perhaps I'll try and update this tomorrow.

To nnails- I don't watch TV and I'm not about to start for some reality sheeeite, sorry.

Caveat: I assume the data used here is accurate.

Obesity by income quintile in the UK:

income__1__2782473a.png

The text in the article is complete rubbish, as far as men are concerned. It's incredible how insensitive income is to obesity rates in men, in fact. Malnutrition and health issues may be a different matter, but straightforward BMI-defined obesity is not demonstrably linked to income in males. Which begs the question of whether resources have been wasted in attempting to deal with the problem in males. In females it seems there is a clear link, for whatever reason. The asymmetry is intriguing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/10525107/Why-is-Britain-fatter-than-ever.html

Is this household or individual income? If it`s household I may be able to offer a plausable theory as to why thinner women end up joining higher income households than the obese :)

Edited by SpectrumFX

Throw in a hand grenade (Clarkson bombshell)

It is pure Darwinism.

Thin females look better than podgies.

So, the richer men get them.

Mr. Anderson, here I come!!!

Surely higher income women are more likely to be career orientated and therefore more body conscious (with cash for the gym too), and those with a lower income might well be kid orientated - I.e their main focus is on watching out for their child, not their waistlines.

It's a generalisation I know. Largely based on my ex-career orientated sister giving up work for kids and gaining weight as she's moved right down the income brackets (probably literally from top to bottom actually. Sorry about the pun... )

Women are more likely than men to be judged for promotion according to their looks.

BMI also wrongly brands muscular men as overweight, giving a misleading impression if you try to do comparisons of attractiveness between men and women based on BMI figures.

Everybody gets judged according to their looks :)

Edit: I gave some details in this thread http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=195724&pid=1102444491&st=0entry1102444491 about how the BMI definition of "overweight" isn`t that meaningful with a link to a systematic review on BMI and mortality.

As always this slopy "overweight" BMI definition is conflated with the obese numbers make it sound like obesity is at higher levels than it is.

Edited by SpectrumFX

Women are more likely than men to be judged for promotion according to their looks.

Hmmm. Look at height and the opposite is true: top jobs are filled with tall men and shorties are a rarity, whereas height matters much less with women.

Poor can't afford meat or protein so gorge on cheap high carb food and are suckers for crap peddled on daytime TV.

Wheres my fee?

You don't get one because you haven't grasped the nuances in the thread - just repeating the intial conclusions of the media article.

Sorry. Go back to the beginning. B)

I don't agree!

I would really like to see fats/carbs/protein intake measured across income range.

£5 please :D

I don't agree!

I would really like to see fats/carbs/protein intake measured across income range.

£5 please :D

But blokes's obesity rates are independent of income. Malnutrition is another issue entirely.

The shortcomings of the BMI system were something I was hoping to avoid too. The point is the uniformity of rates of obesity across males income groups.

Might have more info later once I've read the reports.

Lower income men have more manually demanding jobs?

Hence some compensation for poor diets and associate BMI risk.

Life expectancy, heart disease cancer rates show correlation to poverty don't they?

Poor can't afford meat or protein so gorge on cheap high carb food and are suckers for crap peddled on daytime TV.

Wheres my fee?

2/3rds of them dont fit this profile...thats a huge majority by the way.

Hmmm. Look at height and the opposite is true: top jobs are filled with tall men and shorties are a rarity, whereas height matters much less with women.

Fair point.

OK, people are promoted according to their looks and, for women, low weight is considered an important aspect of good looks. Mystery solved.

It'd be interesting to see a similar graph of height against income. Presumably it'd show the opposite, being fairly flat for women and showing a height bias for men.

Most senior bosses in the places i have worked have tended to be 'wee men'

Is that unusual ?

Most senior bosses in the places i have worked have tended to be 'wee men'

Is that unusual ?

It seems that it is.

This article quotes 2.5% more salary per each additional inch of height.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-09-30/news/30229082_1_ceos-necktie-salaries

You do get some much shorter guys who seem to compensate for their stature by being more aggressive and domineering. This is normally portrayed as a negative thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex) but I know a couple of very short guys who`ve compensated by having a domineering personality and great social skills, which can actually be a winning combination.