House Price Crash Forum

Independent "anti Immigration Feeling On The Rise"

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/antiimmigrant-feeling-in-britain-is-on-the-rise-according-to-major-new-research-9042307.html

The survey found 77 per cent of people supported a reduction in immigration levels. That comprised 56 per cent who wanted it cut by “a lot” – the highest number on record – and another 21 per cent who wanted it reduced a little.

Numbers backing a substantial cut in immigration have risen from 39 per cent in 1995 and 49 per cent a decade ago.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The piece is about "anti-immigration" not anti-immigrant.

This is about jobs and housing.

Perhaps a referendum might be in order, then?.. a choice between two bundles of policies, in which immigration policy is tied to future tax rates and pension levels and legislated retirement ages... with a side helping of pointing out the implications for house prices if the population starts to shrink... ;)

HOLA447

The piece is about "anti-immigration" not anti-immigrant.

This is about jobs and housing.

Well said.

I find when you stand up against immigration some un-educated do-gooder calls you a racist. I guess the V.I. media/government use it to force their agenda on idiots and suppress free speech.

HOLA448

Perhaps a referendum might be in order, then?.. a choice between two bundles of policies, in which immigration policy is tied to future tax rates and pension levels and legislated retirement ages... with a side helping of pointing out the implications for house prices if the population starts to shrink... ;)

FFS. The population wouldn't shrink if people could afford houses large enough to raise a family in. What's your solution? The endless importing of immigrants and on and on, ad infinitum?

HOLA449

I often wonder how people would respond to the idea that all Muslim immigration should be stopped... while immigration by non-Muslims be freely permitted...

Turn round and kick Gypsies and Jews instead, I suspect.. :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

So... we live in a nation of bigots.. who knew, eh? :huh:

There's certainly a lot of people with extremely closed minds who are rabidly intolerant of anybody who disagrees with them, alas. Open discourse is no longer a British trait, if it ever was.

HOLA4414

FFS. The population wouldn't shrink if people could afford houses large enough to raise a family in. What's your solution? The endless importing of immigrants and on and on, ad infinitum?

This was my initial reaction when I saw the "older mothers" increasing pressure on maternity services story on the beeb today that Jeremy %unt is attributing to "lifestyle choices": maybe couples wouldn't make the choice to delay pregnancy to the point where the risk of complications was significantly increased and putting pressure on services if they could have afforded somewhere to bring up children in earlier in life?

Doh :blink:

HOLA4415

I'll admit to not knowing if the accusations of bigotry are trolling or not but they are deeply depressing. I have the dubious pleasure of living in the South East of England and without unneccesary hyperbole population levels are affecting every aspect of life. Most of that qualititative impact is negative in my view. Not just for what some might term indigenous Britons who in my view are not some protected class in this argument, everyone.

There is finite infrastructure and its creaking at the seams and there's no political will to address those issues so quality of life declines. From housing to school to transport things are simply made worse by more people trying to use them. The "they bring economic benefits" crowd use this argument to ignore other impacts. Its not all about an extra 1% on GDP. This country is breibg driven into the ground and racism has not a jot to do with opposing it.

HOLA4416

Now who would have thought that being fed a diet of unsubstantiated headlines about immigration on the front pages of the tavloids would lead to anti immigration feelings in the UK? I mean look at the hordes of Romanians and Bulgarians arriving in the UK in the past week innit?

HOLA4417

I'll admit to not knowing if the accusations of bigotry are trolling or not but they are deeply depressing. I have the dubious pleasure of living in the South East of England and without unneccesary hyperbole population levels are affecting every aspect of life. Most of that qualititative impact is negative in my view. Not just for what some might term indigenous Britons who in my view are not some protected class in this argument, everyone.

There is finite infrastructure and its creaking at the seams and there's no political will to address those issues so quality of life declines. From housing to school to transport things are simply made worse by more people trying to use them. The "they bring economic benefits" crowd use this argument to ignore other impacts. Its not all about an extra 1% on GDP. This country is breibg driven into the ground and racism has not a jot to do with opposing it.

There are so many facets to what is in effect a growing rise in our population.......first it is how quickly this has happened, in many ways it has been a positive thing especially for the economy. Like any business quick instant profits and growth are a good thing but you can't always be taking the spoils, at some point investment into new machinery and premisses to expand has to be spent from those profits...….what we have done is grabbed the benefits without providing the housing, infrastructure or thought about the long-term implications of such a quick social and economic change to the country over a very few years..... ;)

HOLA4418

.what we have done is grabbed the benefits without providing the housing, infrastructure or thought about the long-term implications of such a quick social and economic change to the country over a very few years..... ;)

Oh, Labour thought about it - solely in terms of making the lives of their hated enemy tribe miserable, though.

HOLA4419

This was my initial reaction when I saw the "older mothers" increasing pressure on maternity services story on the beeb today that Jeremy %unt is attributing to "lifestyle choices": maybe couples wouldn't make the choice to delay pregnancy to the point where the risk of complications was significantly increased and putting pressure on services if they could have afforded somewhere to bring up children in earlier in life?

Blame feminism for that.

Before feminism, society had the solution to that: the marriage of the 40-year-old man bringing financial stability and the 20-year-old woman bringing fertility.

Nowadays big age gaps are rare, so you either have two penniless youngsters or the inevitable older mother.

HOLA4420

I don't think the issue has changed much. What is changing is that the taboo on discussing it is finally crumbling. A rising number of people are no longer afraid of discussing it.

We can probably thank UKIP for that. An affluent middle-class movement with strong Establishment credentials and press contacts and influence, saying things that had previously been the preserve of the marginalised working-class who were (and are) easy to demonise.

HOLA4421

Blame feminism for that.

Before feminism, society had the solution to that: the marriage of the 40-year-old man bringing financial stability and the 20-year-old woman bringing fertility.

Nowadays big age gaps are rare, so you either have two penniless youngsters or the inevitable older mother.

Misogynist ********.

The age difference at marriage in England and Wales: a century of patterns and trends

In the last 100 years the mean age difference at marriage in England and Wales has fluctuated in the range 2–3 years, but without exhibiting any long-run trend.

HOLA4422

I don't think the issue has changed much. What is changing is that the taboo on discussing it is finally crumbling. A rising number of people are no longer afraid of discussing it.

We can probably thank UKIP for that. An affluent middle-class movement with strong Establishment credentials and press contacts and influence, saying things that had previously been the preserve of the marginalised working-class who were (and are) easy to demonise.

Or you could thank the DM/Sun and D Ex for feeding the sheeple immigration = bad bollux when they have a day off from feeding them the high house prices = good bollux.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

+1

Even if the stats were otherwise, which they clearly aren't, the basic premise that poor wages for the young forcing women to marry older men for financial support and housing = good, and women believing that they should be free to marry within their own generation = bad, is pretty bizarre to say the least. If the requisite financial security required to have children should only be available to the old then what on earth are we worried about, that generation largely already has the financial wealth and immigration only bolsters this position so why would we even bother discussing it or a HPC at all?

Bonkers :blink:

HOLA4425

I often wonder how people would respond to the idea that all Muslim immigration should be stopped... while immigration by non-Muslims be freely permitted...

If you add all immigration by people who have criminal records and benefit scroungers then I would be in favour.

I would rather have 100 Christian/Druze Syrian refugees (if they are law abiding and work) than 1 Muslim Syrian refugee.

Actually despite my concerns on space make it 10,000