House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Grocery Delivery Boxes That Stack

Do you know how to legitimately buy some as they make great potato planters?

Any alternatives?

Er, you don't come here often, do you?

Try old car tyres.

Just ask Kurt/Sarah/Nuggets or any of the other allotmenters I've forgotten the name of.

This is for a concrete base, so drainage is an issue, which is why plastic boxes are good as they are just off the ground

Ask a tesco delivery man.

Or ask your prettier half to ask a tesco man.

Woman up the road got loads! :)

Sums it up

In my area at least they no longer leave you with the boxes, seem quite strict

I reckon these are the sort you're on about with the handles that fold in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-X-USED-GREEN-PLASTIC-STORAGE-CRATES-CONTAINERS-BOXES-STACKABLE-/291049658458

Seem pretty steep there though and not sure you'd want 20! Don't quite know what they are classed as though but found them on the first page.

I wonder if that eBay person is technically selling stolen goods?

I wonder if that eBay person is technically selling stolen goods?

We use thousands of the two-flap lid ones at work for both store distribution and internal order picking. They are much, much better quality than any of the plastic crates you can buy in shops the only retail type product that's of any quality is Really Useful and they can still shatter if you drop them in the cold. We had to stop empties being stored outside years ago such was the problem with theft.

We often get stock in from suppliers packed in other retailer's plastic crates so accumulate a lot if them. Typically we write to the retailer concerned asking them to collect within 90 days or we will dispose of how we see fit - I don't think any have ever bothered to collect them. We sand the logo off and, if they're identical to ours, put them in our own fleet or otherwise sell them on ebay. Very often they make very good money on ebay sometimes more than we pay for new.

Ours are never released to third parties so I know any I see out and about have been pinched and consequently have emptied car booter's crap out on the grass on a couple of occasions reclaiming them.

Sums it up

In my area at least they no longer leave you with the boxes, seem quite strict

I will say I've never managed to scrounge any. Maybe she is better at smiling than us? :)

I will say I've never managed to scrounge any. Maybe she is better at smiling than us? :)

You sure it's smiling that she does?

We use thousands of the two-flap lid ones at work for both store distribution and internal order picking. They are much, much better quality than any of the plastic crates you can buy in shops the only retail type product that's of any quality is Really Useful and they can still shatter if you drop them in the cold. We had to stop empties being stored outside years ago such was the problem with theft.

We often get stock in from suppliers packed in other retailer's plastic crates so accumulate a lot if them. Typically we write to the retailer concerned asking them to collect within 90 days or we will dispose of how we see fit - I don't think any have ever bothered to collect them. We sand the logo off and, if they're identical to ours, put them in our own fleet or otherwise sell them on ebay. Very often they make very good money on ebay sometimes more than we pay for new.

Ours are never released to third parties so I know any I see out and about have been pinched and consequently have emptied car booter's crap out on the grass on a couple of occasions reclaiming them.

You can't get me a few then?

;)

You can't get me a few then?

;)

Don't think we've got any in that exact style with holes in. If you PM me your postal address I'II send you half a dozen of these type of things a supplier sent branded Homebase in error and never bothered to collect. Just as a one off though I don't want to get into doling out stuff to all the thrifty allotmenteers on here.

PB1-Potato-Grow-Bag-Planter-2-pack.jpg

Having found a similar image of the bag ones on the same site they're selling these £12 for 3 which I haven't seen before and assume they have drainage holes and won't risk repossession by Tescos.

original-potato-planter-3-set.jpg

Or got dog excrement all over the carpet so the delivery bloke doesn't fancy hanging about or something.

Nice one, the faces must be priceless.

Nice one, the faces must be priceless.

Yeah, I got about a £100 worth of tote bins back and my girlfriend at the time wasn't so keen on going to car boots at the weekend anymore so a win-win really. :lol:

They seem to think you're just a morally outraged member of the public and give it the 'so what, what's it to you?' until I show them my business card.

Edit to add:

On a related theme I once witnessed a scion of one of the largest, at the time, UK supermarket chain families deploy a similar tactic with a homeless guy. It was well before camera phones but I wish I'd had one at the time. Having said that if it became public the image of literally one of the country's wealthiest men engaged in a tug-of-war with one of the country's poorest for a rusty shopping trolley full of empty beer cans would probably still now be seeing use, in the left-wing press, as a metaphor for Thatcher's Britain - as she was PM at the time.

Yeah, I got about a £100 worth of tote bins back and my girlfriend at the time wasn't so keen on going to car boots at the weekend anymore so a win-win really. :lol:

They seem to think you're just a morally outraged member of the public and give it the 'so what, what's it to you?' until I show them my business card.

Edit to add:

On a related theme I once witnessed a scion of one of the largest, at the time, UK supermarket chain families deploy a similar tactic with a homeless guy. It was well before camera phones but I wish I'd had one at the time. Having said that if it became public the image of literally one of the country's wealthiest men engaged in a tug-of-war with one of the country's poorest for a rusty shopping trolley full of empty beer cans would probably still now be seeing use, in the left-wing press, as a metaphor for Thatcher's Britain - as she was PM at the time.

Comedy gold.