House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Ed Miliband Vows To End Uk's 'dependency' On Cheap Foreign Labour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25607578

Labour leader Ed Miliband has vowed to end what he calls Britain's "chronic dependency" on cheap foreign labour if he wins the next election.

He said low-skilled immigration was making the cost of living crisis worse.

Writing in the Independent on Sunday, he promised to stop firms paying agency staff less than permanent workers by closing a loophole in the law.

Employers' organisation the CBI said Mr Miliband was putting jobs at risk by targeting a "perfectly legal" practice.

Mr Miliband has attempted to toughen Labour's stance on immigration amid claims by his rivals - and some former Labour ministers - that the party got it disastrously wrong by opening the door to East European migrants in 2004.

From the party that encouraged cheap immigrant labour to create unsustainable growth.

This piece of pro big business loving shyt is saying that he wishes to stop East European agencies paying their staff less then the minimum wage as it undercuts British workers.

He has no interest at all in stopping 500 million people have free access to Britain.

This nations slippery slope to destruction seems inevitable.

But he isnt in power it is the Tory party that are currently destroying us at this moment in time.

I find it amazing that somebody can bang on about a "cost of living crisis" for years and not once suggest that maybe the solution would be to lower the cost of living.

I find it amazing that somebody can bang on about a "cost of living crisis" for years and not once suggest that maybe the solution would be to lower the cost of living.

I think it shows one of two things (or maybe both):

(1) Politicians really don't live in the same "world" as the ordinary person,

(2) Suggesting that house prices need to fall is a political taboo, since so many people are brainwashed into thinking HPI -> Good.

Let's face it, even if most people agree in principle that lower house prices would be good for the country, their own personal interests ultimately trump any "national interest".

Another liblabcon politician saying what people want to hear with no intension of backing it up with action.

yackety yak there there blah blah blah

Vote for something else, might as well.

Edited by Papa Serf

But I do think this point on cheap labour from abroad is not understood by everyone, yes its good for the economy but damaging for society.

Cheap labour is what it says it is, cheap. The British people cannot (and should not have to) compete with it, but they get called lazy instead, nice.

Cheap labour is what it says it is, cheap. The British people cannot (and should not have to) compete with it, but they get called lazy instead, nice.

The only way the British people could avoid competing with cheap labour would be to seal off the borders to both people and goods like pre-1868 Japan.

There is nothing wrong with being cheap labour so long as your cost of living is also cheap.

The only way the British people could avoid competing with cheap labour would be to seal off the borders to both *UNSKILLED* people and *LOWER REGULATED AT PRODUCTION* goods like pre-1868 Japan.

corrected for you. The madness of allowing imports from countries that pollute, exploit, and destroy way in excess of the controls you have in your home country is as mental as allowing unskilled immigration.

corrected for you. The madness of allowing imports from countries that pollute, exploit, and destroy way in excess of the controls you have in your home country is as mental as allowing unskilled immigration.

As a skilled worker myself, why would I prefer skilled immigrants over unskilled ones? It's the skilled ones who are going to be competing with me for jobs and driving down my wages.

Politicians push the "skilled immigration is good" line because their financial backers want to push down wages for skilled workers. They know they can't push unskilled wages down any further, these wages went below subsistence level years ago and now have to be topped up with housing benefit and tax credits.

Milliband, the man who supported this guy. Don't fall for it folks. LibLabCon are all as bad as each other.

This was the funniest thing to happen in the last election! It still makes me laugh now. I almost felt sorry for poor old Brown but I was laughing so hard that I couldn't feel anything for the poor old fool! :lol:

and even at the time of Bigotgate the actual number of eastern europeans coming to the UK was still being masked and talked down - and was still unclear to the majority of people.

Edited by billybong

As a skilled worker myself, why would I prefer skilled immigrants over unskilled ones? It's the skilled ones who are going to be competing with me for jobs and driving down my wages.

Politicians push the "skilled immigration is good" line because their financial backers want to push down wages for skilled workers. They know they can't push unskilled wages down any further, these wages went below subsistence level years ago and now have to be topped up with housing benefit and tax credits.

That's... a surprisingly good point.

Unskilled workers can't really afford to buy housing anymore (not by themselves) but some skilled workers still can so that's likely a factor in their preference for importing skilled workers.

Likely they'll be helping to buy up any extra housing that might be built in the UK over the next few years.

Edited by billybong

I'm not sure why we need any immigrants to come and work here when we have unemployment at the levels we do.

Until we can solve the reasons why the unemployed aren't employed we really shouldn't just wallpaper over it by allowing people in.

There's a valid case for protecting agency workers from exploitation. Though when government legislates for it, the inevitable outcome is more red tape getting in the way of honest business, and advantage to the most ruthess and exploitative loophole-hunters.

But if he succeeds in banning exploitation in a field, that's when the cost soars Really soars! See for example care homes, where the minimum wage led directly to a huge crisis where rapidly-rising and unaffordable fees are still inadequate, and vast numbers went out of business.

The tax system could fix that. That is, if our powers-that-be could make it work.

Tax pollution and exploitation. At home that can happen more-or-less directly, though that sub-Brown Osborne is moving in the opposite direction.

For imports, you'd have to impose the tax on the imported goods. Politically hard: looks like a trade war, so perhaps take a slightly different approach and apply the same formula to goods manufactued at home. Alas, even that is hard, and the bigger objection is that administration of such a scheme becomes a classic corruption-magnet.

Completely Agree, the exception I would make is high level medical staff since its not a competitive job market and training them is extremely expensive.

Skilled labour import degrades our own ability to produce skilled people which creates even more demand for imported labour in an ever downwards spiral. This has been happening for a long time in IT for example.

Fundamentally, medium to high skilled workers on medium to high pay are the backbone of a high standard of living high demand low unemployment economy

Edited by goldbug9999