House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Wish I'd Kept My Black And White Telly

I'd be on the verge of celebrity status by now!

I had one until 1994, was totally happy with it as I didn't watch much telly and then usually comedies like Dads Army so a B&W was fine. Small one, Phillips 12" IIRC, sat in the corner not dominating the room.

Unfortunately was replaced as when my parents came to visit they couldn't stand watching it so gave me the money to buy a colour TV and video recorder just so they could watch it when they visited. I didn't want one but couldn't really say no.

Gave it away to somebody who wanted it for a monitor during a decluttering phase; I don't know if I would be able to buy another one now :(

More than 30 Gloucester families still watching black and white TV

By The Citizen | Posted: January 06, 2014

Figures released today by TV Licensing reveal black and white TV licences have dropped to 31 in Gloucester, 26 in Cheltenham and seven in Stroud.

Across the UK, the number of families watching on black and white TVs has dropped a further 12 per cent in the past year, with fewer than 12,000 sets now in use nationwide.

With advances in technology, the demand for black and white licences has been in steady decline for years.

At the turn of the millennium there were 212,000 black and white licences issued, but by 2003 that number had shrunk to 93,000. Just three years later, in 2006, the number was less than 50,000 and today just 11,550 black and white licences remain in force across the UK.

Despite it being nearly 48 years since colour transmissions began, digital switchover and the recent Christmas seasonal surge of television, laptop, tablet and smartphone sales, it seems there are still some nostalgic UK homes firmly attached to their trusty black and white TV sets.

Richard Chapman, spokesperson for TV Licensing South West, said: “Today’s figures show, even in the digital age, more than 11,000 homes still watch their favourite programmes on black and white televisions.

!We may be on the brink of losing black and white sets to the history books, but older technology will always be replaced by exciting new ways of watching live.

!It’s important that no matter how you watch live TV, whether on a black and white set, or online, you’re correctly licensed to do so.”

According to this year’s figures, Bournemouth leads the way in black and white penetration across the South West, followed closely by Gloucester and Plymouth.

Top 10 black and white towns in the South West:

1. Bournemouth - 37

2. Gloucester - 31

3. Plymouth - 30

4. Cheltenham - 26

5. Swindon - 26

6. Bath - 20

7. Exeter - 18

8. Poole - 15

9. Weston-Super-Mare - 12

10. Penzance - 11

If a recorder (e.g. a Personal Video Recorder) is connected to a black and white TV then a colour TV Licence will be required.

The cost of a black and white TV Licence remains frozen at £49 until BBC Charter Review in 2016. A colour licence costs £145.50.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/30-Gloucester-families-watching-black-white-TV/story-20405269-detail/story.html

I'd be on the verge of celebrity status by now!

I had one until 1994, was totally happy with it as I didn't watch much telly and then usually comedies like Dads Army so a B&W was fine. Small one, Phillips 12" IIRC, sat in the corner not dominating the room.

Unfortunately was replaced as when my parents came to visit they couldn't stand watching it so gave me the money to buy a colour TV and video recorder just so they could watch it when they visited. I didn't want one but couldn't really say no.

Gave it away to somebody who wanted it for a monitor during a decluttering phase; I don't know if I would be able to buy another one now :(

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/30-Gloucester-families-watching-black-white-TV/story-20405269-detail/story.html

You could always try your local Freecycle, or Freegle as it's called here. Someone might have one lurking somewhere, and they'll probably be thinking nobody would ever want it. Just stick a 'wanted' post up - you never know.

You could always try your local Freecycle, or Freegle as it's called here. Someone might have one lurking somewhere, and they'll probably be thinking nobody would ever want it. Just stick a 'wanted' post up - you never know.

I've heard of that but not looked at it; sounds like a plan.

Ebay is your friend:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-Cream-and-Black-Retro-Style-Black-and-White-TV-/191020798380?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item2c79ba11ac

Given a colour one by your folks, great. Not in the same league, but reminds me of a work colleague who was given a car by their parents, it cost them a bomb to run it.

Ebay is your friend:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-Cream-and-Black-Retro-Style-Black-and-White-TV-/191020798380?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item2c79ba11ac

Given a colour one by your folks, great. Not in the same league, but reminds me of a work colleague who was given a car by their parents, it cost them a bomb to run it.

Tell me that's not a great look!

$_12.JPG

A bit of an anomaly here.

A licence is required for the receiving equipment. no B&W TV will be capable of receiving digital transmissions, so it will have to be connected to a 'digibox', which will inevitably decode and provide a colour signal, even if it is not used to display a colour picture.

In other words, in the strictest interpretation of the law, a colour licence will always be needed in practice.

A licence is required for the receiving equipment. no B&W TV will be capable of receiving digital transmissions, so it will have to be connected to a 'digibox', which will inevitably decode and provide a colour signal, even if it is not used to display a colour picture.

In other words, in the strictest interpretation of the law, a colour licence will always be needed in practice.

That's what was said when feeeview came in, it was a stealth way for the BBC to chop the B&W licence.

As it happens they didn't enforce it.

Tell me that's not a great look!

$_12.JPG

Excellent look Frank - you must've smoked thousands of tabs to get the white plastic to go that colour...!

XYY

Yes I put our only telly, a 70s B&W set, in the cupboard when they switched off the analogue signal here a couple of years ago.

Another anomaly.

A blind person gets a 50% concession on a colour TV licence which is still more expensive than a b&w.

I think there would be money in retrofitting cheap colour tvs to b&w spec (twiddle the knobs until you get grey hues then break them off). I can't stand watching TV don't mind having it on in the background so I'm game for one.

And how many of those 11,500 people are being honest????????????

I dishonestly held a b&w tv licence for three years. I was (and still am legally licence free) but the monthly threat'o'grams cause my wife so much distress (not being entirely convinced that using a television for purposes other than live transmissions was perfectly ok) this was the only solution/compromise to keep them off our backs.

We've had our second in a year, last Friday, wife was home and did what any self-respecting member of the community should do and that's not answer the door or talk to them if caught unawares.

Makes their job much harder looking for real evaders by not allowing them into your home and why would you?

I dishonestly held a b&w tv licence for three years. I was (and still am legally licence free) but the monthly threat'o'grams cause my wife so much distress (not being entirely convinced that using a television for purposes other than live transmissions was perfectly ok) this was the only solution/compromise to keep them off our backs.

We've had our second in a year, last Friday, wife was home and did what any self-respecting member of the community should do and that's not answer the door or talk to them if caught unawares.

Makes their job much harder looking for real evaders by not allowing them into your home and why would you?

Was having this debate with a pal of mine. Doesn't understand why i don't pay it. Out of principle really.

If i started a company. Then sent things to everyone's house in the UK - then sent them threatening letters informing them that unless they let me into their house to confirm they had not used my product - threaten them with court. And all by random letters that don't even have their name on them.

I asked my pal if he would think that was reasonable - and would he let me into his house ? Of course he wouldn't - but apparently its different because its the Bbc. The same Bbc that is massively wasteful , supposed to be impartial - but is anything but - and spends a fortune on making drivel like homes under the hammer.

Nah - i refuse to pay for it. And as i never watch tv as it is being broadcast :D i don't need to.

They don't even send the letters recorded. They have absolutely no idea if you have even received them never mind read them.

However apparently when it comes to the Bbc - just assuming someone is doing something makes it perfectly acceptable to threaten them. .

Nah - ****** em :D

It is the end of the Third age, and television, and all its magic has left Middle Earth.

It is now the "Age of Men", men who I hope do not miss the glow of the cathode ray tube, with all that darts, football, and lager adverts.

And how many of those 11,500 people are being honest????????????

I suspect that a new claim for a B+W license arouses a bit of suspiscion these days. I guess most viewers of B+W sets now qualify for the free one based on age (does anyone know if the free licenses are separated into colour/B+W? I can't think of any reason why they would be.

Perhaps a recent widow/er who's deceased partner qualified for a free license whereas they are not yet old enough would be a source of new B+W claims?