House Price Crash Forum

Sherlock - What Happened There Then?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

The best series by a mile of the last couple of years has gone entirely pear-shaped this series.

Messy, playing it for laughs, in-jokes, making Sherlock a cartoon figure, tricksy camera shots. Exemplified by Mrs Hudson chatting about her ex-husband who turned out to be a massive drug dealer and murderer. Right.....

These used to be paced, dramatic, and significantly better than the books.

Here's hoping for episode three to be a return to form after two episodes best described as just being bloody silly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

It is written by a comedian.

Yes, but previously it was superb.

These look like they written after, or maybe during, a three day bender.

And like the Emperor's new clothes nobody at the BBC is prepared to point out to Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss that their scripts were gibberish prior to spending a forthune on making them.

Last night's absolutely destroyed the Sign of Four, one of the good original stories (and they're not all good), finishing with a bad joke about the Sign of Three.

As somebody said to Conan Doyle; Sherlock was not the same man after his (first) death.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, but previously it was superb.

These look like they written after, or maybe during, a three day bender.

And like the Emperor's new clothes nobody at the BBC is prepared to point out to Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss that their scripts were gibberish prior to spending a forthune on making them.

Last night's absolutely destroyed the Sign of Four, one of the good original stories (and they're not all good), finishing with a bad joke about the Sign of Three.

As somebody said to Conan Doyle; Sherlock was not the same man after his (first) death.

Feedback to sell it to the US market, make it funny? Not wanting it to be samey? You'll love series 4 then that's already been commissioned.

Have to say I watched the 2nd series of Ripper Street and thought that had lost it's way.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Truly awful BBC up itself tripe. Looked like it had been made for children. Probably the same people as on Dr Who. Overpaid whatever.

My recommends right now.

Bron/Broen (The Bridge) - top

Silent Witness

Yes, I have to agree. This current series of Sherlock is watchable but a real disappointment.

And thanks for the reminder on Silent Witness, I have yet to watch the second episode from last week.

Feedback to sell it to the US market, make it funny? Not wanting it to be samey? You'll love series 4 then that's already been commissioned.

Have to say I watched the 2nd series of Ripper Street and thought that had lost it's way.

I really enjoyed Ripper Street but I'm afraid introducing the Elephant Man into it turned it into a bit of a joke for me and I haven't watched it since.

HOLA448

I really enjoyed Ripper Street but I'm afraid introducing the Elephant Man into it turned it into a bit of a joke for me and I haven't watched it since.

That was the only one I watched! I thought it was poor and couldn't understand why people were saying how good it was. That would explain it then.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

That was the only one I watched! I thought it was poor and couldn't understand why people were saying how good it was. That would explain it then.

The BBC seem to be doing this a lot lately with their shows. They get a good format, people respond really well to it but then in subsequent series they spoil it by adding things in that ruins any credibility it might have. They also did this with Upstairs Downstairs a while back, that I was really looking forward to, but they ruined it by having music hall type characters and idiot plots that bore no relation to the original drama. I understand the need to move on and update but the programmes seem to lose their intelligence along the way and descend into farce really.

Just hoping they don't do the same thing to Luther.

HOLA4412

And why was Sherlock being beaten up in a Russian prison, has he turned into James Bond?

The swivel eyed foreign heavies were Serbians (and it's implied that Sherlock was going to dangerous overseas places to deal with Moriarty's clients and minions). The Robert Downey Jr. movies are (IMO) more like Victorian James Bond.

This year Sherlock seems to be concentrating more on the characters' lives rather than the cases and it feels more humorous, more lightweight. I'd rather a show is experimental and shake things up, rather than stagnate, but I hope next week's episode is more serious and grounded.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The reason that it's now rubbish is because Moriarti has gone.

That's a good point actually, since he was the evil mastermind behind most of bad stuff, so him egotistically committing suicide removed a lot of the show's anchorage and sense of purpose. But there seems to be another villain stalking Holmes (the mystery man watching the wall of screens at the end of the first episode).

HOLA4415

The reason that it's now rubbish is because Moriarti has gone.

Or has he? ph34r.gif

I've actually enjoyed the latest two. Maybe not up to the standard of the previous ones, but still good. Didn't like the stuff in the latest one about the drinking. Went on for far too long. The best man speech stuff though, was brilliant.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Always thought the show was a tad overrated.

My problem is that there are simply too few episodes in a season to spend the first reintroducing all of the characters, and the second indulging in more character development and lots of jokes - both at the expense of a blooming good mystery.

Maybe the third episode will be better, but I'm not counting on it.

HOLA4419

Is this the thread where everyone turns into their dad?

Shhh, will you be quiet, I'm trying to listen to the News.

Never understand why these things look like they're done on a shoestring with the BBC. Surely with every household in the country chucking money in the hat they ought to be able to manage something to rival the US (or even Scandinavian) series in quality?

The other problem, much the case with Sherlock, is they're just not realistic enough and try too hard to appeal to kids and adults and end up closer to kids' TV. Anyone remember Bugs? a BBC sort of gadget based drama that was like sh1t kids TV but aired at night.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Shhh, will you be quiet, I'm trying to listen to the News.

Never understand why these things look like they're done on a shoestring with the BBC. Surely with every household in the country chucking money in the hat they ought to be able to manage something to rival the US (or even Scandinavian) series in quality?

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with Sherlock in terms of production gloss next to CSI or Breaking Bad, even if it's a bit less flashy, but I get the impression with the BBC there should be more bang for your buck and with "The Day of the Doctor" there was maybe ten minutes worth of movie blockbuster budget melded to 40+ minutes of relatively low TV budget. The BBC can do large budgets and its production values are leaps 'n bounds better than pre-1990s stuff, but it still seems hard for them to sustain it.

I found the Scandinavian police dramas not be so intrinsically different to the police dramas produced by the BBC and ITV (except they're speaking gibberish).

The other problem, much the case with Sherlock, is they're just not realistic enough and try too hard to appeal to kids and adults and end up closer to kids' TV. Anyone remember Bugs? a BBC sort of gadget based drama that was like sh1t kids TV but aired at night.

I remember the underrated Bugs and actually re-watched it a year ago on DVD; I thought it was 1990s Primeval and an interesting glimpses at London in the time of John Major and early Tony Blair. The Bugs production crew liked setting off a load of explosions. Like a swathe of techno thrillers made in the mid to late 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s, Bugs has undeniably dated, but the chemistry between the three leads (Jaye Griffiths, Jesse Birdsall, and Craig McLachlan) was enough to sustain it for several seasons (but Bugs fell apart as soon as Craig McLachlan departed and his character was recast).

HOLA4423

I remember the underrated Bugs and actually re-watched it a year ago on DVD; I thought it was 1990s Primeval and an interesting glimpses at London in the time of John Major and early Tony Blair. The Bugs production crew liked setting off a load of explosions. Like a swathe of techno thrillers made in the mid to late 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s, Bugs has undeniably dated, but the chemistry between the three leads (Jaye Griffiths, Jesse Birdsall, and Craig McLachlan) was enough to sustain it for several seasons (but Bugs fell apart as soon as Craig McLachlan departed and his character was recast).

Talking of Craig McLachlan (and Whodunits), did anyone else see The Doctor Blake Mysteries that was broadcast over here a couple of months ago?

It was a passable period whodunit/police procedural that, for some reason, the BBC decided to get out of the way by showing it for ten consecutive weekday afternoons. It wasn't earth-shattering, but it felt as if it was worth better treatment than that.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived