House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NatterJackToad

Jonestown Suicide Tape

Can't believe i'd never heard of this before.

After someone posted this picture in another forum along the lines of "most unbelievable picture of all time"....

gty_01_jonestown_massacre_nt_121115_ssh.jpg

....I thought i'd do some reading up.

I then listened to this video and read the text with it.

http://employees.oneonta.edu/downinll/mass_suicide.htm

If you've got a spare 45 mins, and don't mind creepy cults discussing and then carrying out mass suicide, then this is an interesting debate to listen to as they discuss the option of moving to Russia or killing themselves..

insane!

It's a striking part of human nature that people will do things surrounded by a group that they wouldn't consider doing on their own. It's as if the group becomes their whole world, and anything outside it doesn't exist. You can see it here and in gang behaviour. Gang members get brave with back up, and commit crimes. In this case, seeing all their companions committing suicide was enough to make them feel ok about doing it themselves too.

Seen too many bodies in my time to watch this sort of thing, but aware of it.

Never understood why people are surprised by this sort of thing, when we have a large percentage of theatre audiences being susceptible to suggestions that they run around like chimps. Mass hypnosis, and no small amount of peer pressure.

The worrying thing is, imagine the effect if Jones had commanded they each go out and contaminate a towns water supply......

It's a striking part of human nature that people will do things surrounded by a group that they wouldn't consider doing on their own. It's as if the group becomes their whole world, and anything outside it doesn't exist. You can see it here and in gang behaviour. Gang members get brave with back up, and commit crimes. In this case, seeing all their companions committing suicide was enough to make them feel ok about doing it themselves too.

A lot of the people at Jonestown didn't commit suicide. They were either shot or forced at gunpoint to drink the koolaid (this event is the source of that phrase).

I grew up in California in the 1970s, and this was one of the first news events I remember seeing on television. People really were crazy there in that time.

You should watch a film called compliance about a real life incident in the US.

Happened over 50 times. The film documents the most extreme event though. Pretty amazing what happened. And the film was pretty much bang on what actually happened. Does make you watch it and think "You are having a laugh :o !!"

I always thought the source was a book called "The Electric Koolaid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe

Well at Jonestown they drank FlavourAid, effectively the same thing but a different brand.

Perhaps as always with this sort of thing there is never a definitive single source. More than likely the book brought the term in to common usage and the Jonestown incident rubber stamped it.

The Wiki article is equally unsure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid