House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Who Peels Mushrooms? Seriously?

My wife used to stipulate mushrooms were peeled as she did not trust them in the UK. Now we have kids, life is too short.

I also have to wash up under running water. A bowl of soapy water is not acceptable.

I also have to wash up under running water. A bowl of soapy water is not acceptable.

My missus is the same - but I put that down to the fact that she grew up washing stuff in the nearby stream. Suggesting that she might take over is usually enough to quell.

I once observed a house mate carefully peeling mushrooms so I picked one up and ate it raw, unpeeled and unwashed and challenged to live dangerously.

No peel unless very big mush, then only around the edges...no wash only a damp dab with paper roll to remove any dirt or grit.. ;)

Just eat the dirt.

Well I picked about 30kg of field mushrooms this autumn and I peeled them all, mainly because they had been sh1t on by sheep.

I lost about 30% in the process - trimmings and peel.

All were sauteed with onions and garlic, and frozen for risottos

I didn't even know mushrooms were peelable.

They're not if you buy the closed cap ones.

The field ones often need bits taking off and peeling is better than washing. And brushing? Well unless you clean the brush very often you're just rubbing the crap in to the others.

Always peel because they soak up more butter when you fry them and taste better.

Slice them up :|

I do find that oranges and bananas taste less bitter if you peel them first.

But mushrooms - seriously?

There was I thinking I was odd for cutting off my crusts when I have toast.

Absolutely we are not getting enough and also our immune systems are crap without it. This also suggests it is good for you............

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=would-you-like-side-dirt-eating-soil

...a bit of dirt does no harm......most mush can be cooked as they come, more often than not they are not cut above soil level they are pulled up leaving a dirty lump on the end, that's the bit that requires wiping.....finger nail dent marks are more of an issue, mushroom pickers should keep nails short, rubber gloves don't help to prevent this.......loose mushrooms with nail marks are mainly made by customers with long nails picking and mixing their choices. ;)

No peel unless very big mush, then only around the edges...no wash only a damp dab with paper roll to remove any dirt or grit.. ;)

If you actually wash the mushroom, all that happens is that any dirt is just soaked up into the mushroom, along with several gallons of water. Better to just wipe them down.

If you actually wash the mushroom, all that happens is that any dirt is just soaked up into the mushroom, along with several gallons of water. Better to just wipe them down.

Yes....mushroom don't need washing only wiping. ;)