House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eddie_George

Disrupting Residential Property Sales

Not sure where to post this, but I guessed that it would get lost in the main forum quite quickly.

Disruption this sector by the Internet is well overdue. Google dipped its toe in the water by offering maps with property listings on them but it didn't last long.

Tesco also had a stab on its own but packed it in, but it looks like it is involved as a minor investor via iSold.

Sarah Beeney also had a go with Tepilo but seems to have changed her business model and now just lists on Rightmove these days.

I thought Tesco backtracked because of the Property Misdescriptions Act, but I thought EAs could get around this now. Anyway, I was wondering whether it would be possible to share building surveying reports. It seems mad to me that if you want to buy a house you employ a surveyor despite the fact that the house may have already been surveyed on behalf of another interested party. If you could create an online community that could share recent surveys you could save serious house-buyers money by only requiring them to have one survey done during their house search.

That's just one idea that may not even be feasible, but I'm sure that conventional Estate agents can be wiped from the face of the Earth! Anyone have any ideas? It could be an interesting crowd-funding opportunity!

Not sure where to post this, but I guessed that it would get lost in the main forum quite quickly.

Disruption this sector by the Internet is well overdue. Google dipped its toe in the water by offering maps with property listings on them but it didn't last long.

Tesco also had a stab on its own but packed it in, but it looks like it is involved as a minor investor via iSold.

Sarah Beeney also had a go with Tepilo but seems to have changed her business model and now just lists on Rightmove these days.

I thought Tesco backtracked because of the Property Misdescriptions Act, but I thought EAs could get around this now. Anyway, I was wondering whether it would be possible to share building surveying reports. It seems mad to me that if you want to buy a house you employ a surveyor despite the fact that the house may have already been surveyed on behalf of another interested party. If you could create an online community that could share recent surveys you could save serious house-buyers money by only requiring them to have one survey done during their house search.

That's just one idea that may not even be feasible, but I'm sure that conventional Estate agents can be wiped from the face of the Earth! Anyone have any ideas? It could be an interesting crowd-funding opportunity!

There are plenty of self service estate agents, but it involves the vendor doing the viewings, which buyers don't generally like. The self service places tend to offer scales of service. There is also the other stuff like creating floor plans and photos etc. Its all doable, but who can really be bothered? The agent I am using charges 0.99%, took really good photos, and its useful to have someone in between you and the buyer. There will probably be people operating from home since you don't need to have a high street presence anymore, but I still think you will have people being estate agents locally rather than everything being conducted remotely.

There are plenty of self service estate agents, but it involves the vendor doing the viewings, which buyers don't generally like.

I've only ever viewed with an estate agent once.

And I have viewed a lot of properties. None on with the 'diy' lot.