House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATH

Quality Of Fruit And Veg At Tesco Always Poor

I don't know why I even bother buying (allegedly) fresh produce at tesco. I should have learnt my lesson by now.

I live virtually next door to largish one though so end up in there when lazy.

Bought 3 red onions today, none of them usable when I got home. Had a use by date of 9th Jan too.

I did inspect them briefly in the store, they were in one of those string things and never noticed.

I normally find at least 20%+ of onions, potatoes, garlic etc from tesco to be unusable when I get them

back home.

Who ever bothers to queue for a refund of a few p on this stuff though? Carrying some rotten spuds or onions

around with you all day then finding the "Customer Service" desk which usually shares the tobacco

kiosk, has about 8 people in the queue. All designed to get you to sod off I think.

I don't know why I even bother buying (allegedly) fresh produce at tesco. I should have learnt my lesson by now.

Bought 3 red onions today, none of them usable when I got home. Had a use by date of 9th Jan too.

I did inspect them briefly in the store, they were in one of those string things and never noticed.

I normally find at least 20%+ of onions, potatoes, garlic etc from tesco to be unusable when I get them

back home.

Who ever bothers to queue for a refund of a few p on this stuff though? Carrying some rotten spuds or onions

around with you all day then finding the "Customer Service" desk which usually shares the tobacco

kiosk, has about 8 people in the queue. All designed to get you to sod off I think.

You clearly have more important things to worry about! Onions are not one of them! :huh:

You clearly have more important things to worry about! Onions are not one of them! :huh:

Now that you mention it, the tethering on my three phone has been pretty bad the last month.

The "fresh" meat went downhill years ago... for the current "Finest" range, read "normal Tesco produce" from 15 years ago.

Standard issue "red label" meat has all the taste and texture of a Value range

Guest unfunded_liability

Try their fresh fish. Utterly disgusting!

Tesco roasted monkey nuts used to be good quality, now they're mostly small and some are rotten. Where's all the best stuff ending up - where do the elites shop?

What annoys me is the plastic fork in the pot salad.

I buy a pot salad because I want to eat it, probably in a place where there are no plates/forks.

But today when I open my salad (which was otherwise very nice), the plastic fork was in the bottom, beneath all the salad. WTF is the point of this ? Put the plastic fork on top of the damned salad you muppets.

Old article

My link

No mention of onions

Bananas from Central America take at least 11 days to reach Britain by ship. So they will be picked when still green, and on arrival treated with ethylene gas — a plant hormone which occurs naturally in fruit but is artificially introduced to ripen it.

Dangerous in high concentrations, artificially-made ethylene is believed to be harmless in the quantities used for the fruit we eat.

The plastic bags in which bananas arrive help preserve them even longer — up to 25 days

I buy most fruit from Lidl - seems fresher than Tescos or Sainsburys.

Supermarkets must make a small fortune from customers who don't return bad or inedible food. I would probably wait it out to complain - they will never learn otherwise.

Checklist:

Tesco fruit and veg - tasteless, expensive and goes rotten quickly - sometimes before you get it home

Tesco meat - horrible and pricey - I am convinced they add red dye to it.

Tesco voucher system - designed to mislead and confuse

Tesco wine - overpriced and mendacious 'reductions' policy.

This is why I try never to shop there.

Checklist:

Tesco fruit and veg - tasteless, expensive and goes rotten quickly - sometimes before you get it home

Tesco meat - horrible and pricey - I am convinced they add red dye to it.

They do - same link as above

Retailers know that we look for a fresh red colour in raw meat, and use a number of high-tech tricks to preserve that. Fresh meat may be displayed in ‘modified atmosphere’ packs with harmless gases inside that delay natural discolouring.

Sodium and potassium salts are often added to sausages, salamis and bacon to suppress bacteria and preserve the colour, giving a shelf life of six months or more for some cured meats.

back home.

At least you can console yourself that you've probably done them more than 50p's worth of damage to their brand through posting this. Other posters, like myself, will nod and remember their own experiences and reinforce their existing prejudices. Those posters who are yet to experience the delights of Tesco freshly rotting produce are now slightly less likely to do so.

I tend to only go in there for reduced stuff. It is the biggest supermarket in the neighbourhood - and, yet the one I'm least likely to find anything I want to eat in or be delightedly surprised by.

Lidl does better on both counts for example. If there's a queue of more than two people - they open another till just like that, the pricing and quality of key staples I buy there is basically unchanged for a year and occasionally I will find things I had no idea I wanted to try which are regularly rotated (eg chocolate covered coffee beans - a massive hit with the missus). Further, I know and recognise the staff - and they generally seem happy with their work.

Once you have the logistics right - there's not much to running a supermarket. Too much choice is actually a bad thing - especially when most of it is slightly different recipes of salt, sugar, fat, soya, wheat and milk. Maybe Tesco sells chocolate coffee beans. I have no idea as I never walk as far as confectionery and the chances are that they'd be poor or ridiculously expensive in some way.

Tesco roasted monkey nuts used to be good quality, now they're mostly small and some are rotten. Where's all the best stuff ending up - where do the elites shop?

I shop at Waitrose. Many prices are the same as Tesco but the quality is always great. Their meat is delicious.

The fruit and veg at my local Tesco is much better than the stuff at the local Sainsbury.

Same for me.

I also have a Marks, a Sainsburys, Co-Op and Waitrose to compare with and Tesco's does well. That said, I do stick to their Finest Range and I am very fussy about best before dates. I can usually get veg that wlll last the complete week, usually 4 or 6 days to the best before and a few items last well beyond that (onions, potatoes, carrots). That said, the Tesco's I use is a massive one and the other shops are much smaller - in general the mega stores have a much higher turnover of produce, so it is easier to get the fresh stuff.

Another observation is that Tesco does well on internationally freighted food. I like Co-Op too, and they do well on meat (mostly British), but often the internationally procured veg doesn't seem quite as good as that from Tescos.

Waitrose and Marks are definitely the places for ready meals. And on the whole I prefer the local butchers for meat if I can get there during their opening hours.

Mind you I bought some fruit and vegetables from Costco on Christmas eve. When I unpacked them at home the tangerines, sorry clementines, had two very grey rotting ones at the bottom of the pack, and in the pack of grapes the ones at the bottom were mouldy.

I was very disappointed, but it was hardly worth the bother to go back and complain when they reopened after Christmas. I'll definitely try our new Lidl next week.

I bought some great Spanish tangerines (700g for a quid) from Tesco the other day. They are hit and miss on the quality generally though, and not that cheap. Aldi is nearly half their price for things like celery and spring onions.

I shop at Waitrose. Many prices are the same as Tesco but the quality is always great. Their meat is delicious.

Same here. Always a few MILFS there too. Love shopping there. :D

Quite an amusing ad on TV last night from Asda ,showing tesco's dishwasher tab refills for £8.20 while Asda were selling the exact same package at £3.75 , I guess they caught tesco at the top of their ,soon to be coming, HALF price special offer whizz, where they have to show the higher price to enable the half price scam legally.

I hope there's more of this aggressive advertising when companies are taking the waz..

The "fresh" meat went downhill years ago... for the current "Finest" range, read "normal Tesco produce" from 15 years ago.

Standard issue "red label" meat has all the taste and texture of a Value range

....one supermarket a few years ago I bought two steaks at full price for a special occasion.....well, they were so tough with sinew and tough fibres, very embarrassing to say the least.....all chewed inedible bits were put back into the polystyrene tray and taken back to customer services the following day for a full refund....even the customer services member of staff was embarrassed and the queue behind were very interested in the outcome......first time have ever been driven to do that, hope it will be the last. ;)

....one supermarket a few years ago I bought two steaks at full price for a special occasion.....well, they were so tough with sinew and tough fibres, very embarrassing to say the least.....all chewed inedible bits were put back into the polystyrene tray and taken back to customer services the following day for a full refund....even the customer services member of staff was embarrassed and the queue behind were very interested in the outcome......first time have ever been driven to do that, hope it will be the last. ;)

"Eat my meat" Winkie! It was these wise words, I saw outside a Butcher's shop in Stockport! :o