House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Men's Suits

It's about the time of year when I do a bit of clothes shopping in the sales, and was after a new suit.

Basically the fashion now is for a very tight fit on the legs, in three styles....skinny, slim and tapered. But basically they all come out the same, fitted like a wet suit.

Well perhaps it's just me. I'm certainly not overweight, 30'' waist etc. but I can't even get the more generous tapered fit past my calves.

I started my search in the bargain basement....Tesco, Asda, Primark, no chance. To Burton and Next, the same. Only when I got to Debenhams did they have anything close to a fit with a reasonably accommodating lower leg. Just got to watch it when I tie my shoe laces because the upper leg seams are liable to split open.

Places like Moss Bros often have a half price sale this time of year, you'll get a really nice suit down to £300. Or try top of the range at M&S, really good suits for about the same price.

I've found they are equal quality to £800+ suits for a reasonable price, and you'll look great in them.

What do you expect?

How much material can anyone put in a twelve quid Asda suit?

I got a similar response at Austin Reed after I baulked at their budget range, which started at £199.99, in the sale to boot.' We can do cheaper, but it means getting a Primark suit and sticking an Austin Reed label on'.

Places like Moss Bros often have a half price sale this time of year, you'll get a really nice suit down to £300. Or try top of the range at M&S, really good suits for about the same price.

I've found they are equal quality to £800+ suits for a reasonable price, and you'll look great in them.

Got to admit that sometimes quality pays, I got a Fredrick Anderson overcoat from TK Max a couple of years ago....it still looks like new despite regular wear. I'm used to binning things after they have fallen to bits.

I am hoping not to buy any trousers until the current skinny leggings fashion is over. Missus once bought me some skinny jeans and I couldn't get them over my calves either. I am by no means a fat lad (32 inch waist and a keen runner) - but it seems the latest fashions are designed for anorexic metrosexuals or those suffering from muscle wastage.

If you buy a good wool suit, do make sure you have some protection from moths. I had my £250 wool suit for 20 years (it would only come out for weddings, funerals and job interviews) until last year when the moths scoffed it in the space of 12 months. Gutted I was.

Got to admit that sometimes quality pays, I got a Fredrick Anderson overcoat from TK Max a couple of years ago....it still looks like new despite regular wear. I'm used to binning things after they have fallen to bits.

I wear them until I get arrested for "vagrancy"! :blink:

I am hoping not to buy any trousers until the current skinny leggings fashion is over. Missus once bought me some skinny jeans and I couldn't get them over my calves either. I am by no means a fat lad (32 inch waist and a keen runner) - but it seems the latest fashions are designed for anorexic metrosexuals or those suffering from muscle wastage.

If you buy a good wool suit, do make sure you have some protection from moths. I had my £250 wool suit for 20 years (it would only come out for weddings, funerals and job interviews) until last year when the moths scoffed it in the space of 12 months. Gutted I was.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. Sure you would expect Tesco and Asda to cater for skinny teenagers, but I was surprised that Next and Burton also had nothing to accommodate a normal calf muscle.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. Sure you would expect Tesco and Asda to cater for skinny teenagers, but I was surprised that Next and Burton also had nothing to accommodate a normal calf muscle.

People that make clothes have obviously never measured men. Do women have the same problem?

I have no problem buying jackets. A 42 Long will fit, but I can never fit "suit trousers"! I am sure the ladies will ask why. :lol:

It's because my bum is too small! I don't have a 36 inch waist! Bloody clown trousers! ;)

Get to the "posh" shops when they are having a blowout! Frank is right about that!

not that i pay much attention to fashion but ..

i understand we're going through a silly phase of tight suits that norman wisdom would be embarrassed to be seen out in.

i think i'll sit this one out.

Absolutely superb! I'll not be asking the guy why his jacket is two sizes to small! He may shoot me! ;)

I actually met Norman Wisdom once! He doesn't dress like that in real life! He was a lovely bloke!

Absolutely superb! I'll not be asking the guy why his jacket is two sizes to small! He may shoot me! ;)

I actually met Norman Wisdom once! He doesn't dress like that in real life! He was a lovely bloke!

So was Jimmy Savile

Surely, judging by the majority of people at the checkouts, they'd do better catering for + sizes

Surely, judging by the majority of people at the checkouts, they'd do better catering for + sizes

I observe you have exorcised your "manlyness" by going shopping once! :huh:

Same observation from me too - it's just the same in Canada. The last suit I bought I had made to measure whilst I was visiting Hong Kong. It cost about 200 pounds and fits perfectly. With any luck it'll last me until the next time I visit.

I don't buy suits often. The suit I bought this week was probably the first one for ten years.

In my inexperience, I initially chose a fabric I liked the look of first and tried the suit on. The trouser legs were the same kind of narrow that I was wearing in the office in 1989 (with white socks if memory serves, like all the other chaps).

After that initial try-out, I simply stopped looking to choose fabric first and asked the lady to show me only those suits in 'standard, not making a fashion statement' cut. She showed me a few; I chose one.

If it helps, I bought my suit from Greenwoods. Not the greatest purveyor of fine tailoring, but, as I'm a person who wears suits rarely, it seems serviceable enough for my purposes.

Same observation from me too - it's just the same in Canada. The last suit I bought I had made to measure whilst I was visiting Hong Kong. It cost about 200 pounds and fits perfectly. With any luck it'll last me until the next time I visit.

Ah bum! I forget to buy a suit whilst in Eastern parts! I usually dress " locally" and that gets some looks down here in Somerset! :o

Ah bum! I forget to buy a suit whilst in Eastern parts! I usually dress " locally" and that gets some looks down here in Somerset! :o

I'm thinking some of smock with maybe a hoe in one hand.

I'm thinking some of smock with maybe a hoe in one hand.

A fine immigrant, to our community! Learn to roll the cheese!

A good Ho needs two hands! I pimp then out!!

Thankfully at 57 I have the right build and legs for 'skinny suits' and like the fashion :lol:

Indeed I have a distinctly 'mod' suit from the 60's in my wardrobe.

Thankfully at 57 I have the right build and legs for 'skinny suits' and like the fashion :lol:

Indeed I have a distinctly 'mod' suit from the 60's in my wardrobe.

Can you still fit in it? :huh:

not that i pay much attention to fashion but ..

i understand we're going through a silly phase of tight suits that norman wisdom would be embarrassed to be seen out in.

i think i'll sit this one out.

Daniel+Craig+Rome+Paris+SkyFall+MPRC+3.jpg

Ah that's good, some of the suits in my wardrobe, that seem to have shrunk over the years I can get some more use out of. I knew I was right not to throw them out.

Guest eight

I know exactly what you mean - I'm also 32" waist but have footballer's thighs. If I buy trousers to fit my waist then I can never get them that far :angry: