House Price Crash Forum
workingpoor

Cameron In My Home Town Promoting Help2Buy

Dave Cameron came to southampton today to promote the help2buy scheme

He visited 2 new developments and had a cuppa with a new "homeowner"

Centenary quay is a local development that was the site of a former shipyard

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10909390.Prime_Minister_in_Southampton/?ref=var_0&ref=mmsp

Edited by workingpoor

Dave Cameron came to southampton today to promote the help2buy scheme

He visited 2 new developments and had a cuppa with a new "homeowner"

Centenary quay is a local development that was the site of a former shipyard

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10909390.Prime_Minister_in_Southampton/?ref=var_0&ref=mmsp

Yup I saw that, interviewing an estate agent of all people, who understood the importance of getting on the ladder, with thanks to help to buy and call me dave, the estate agents, estate agent.

One of these boxes for €180k I suppose:

Land/Profit 120k, materials £55k, labor 5k.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-39283288.html?premiumA=true

1671_SSR304044_IMG_00_0002_max_620x414.jpg

I could see myself spending £150K for a house. The fact that the above crock of .... costs £180k and I'd value it at ~ £60k means I'll probably never buy a house in the UK unless there is a readjustment in prices.

At my current rent, £150k buys me 25 years of renting a far better property and location - not including inflation, and I have no maintenance charges, moving fees etc.

Buying now and owning, it just doesn't make sense

Edited by LiveinHope

Cameron is becoming a parody of himself. Joke Prime Minister, of joke party doing battle with joke opposition. Boy do we need change and a dose of reality.

Those houses look like cheap town houses of old, that should cost a tiny fraction of what they do.

Mr Cameron said: ''The new year is often a time when people look to make those big life-changing decisions like moving home or taking that first step on the housing ladder.

''But too many people have found themselves frozen out of the market in recent years as a result of the size of the deposit required.

''That is why as part of our long-term economic plan we introduced the Help to Buy scheme, so hardworking people with sufficient earnings can get on, fulfil their aspirations and enjoy the security of owning their own home.

:rolleyes:

Cameron is becoming a parody of himself. Joke Prime Minister, of joke party doing battle with joke opposition. Boy do we need change and a dose of reality.

Those houses look like cheap town houses of old, that should cost a tiny fraction of what they do.

The big joke is of course that these days 'town houses' are often nowhere near the centre of a conurbation.

Did anyone ask Dave if he would be happy for one of his children to buy a place like that?

Take the front door and mentally rotate it 90 degrees to get a rough idea how wide those houses are. Door is probably what, 6'6'' high?

I'm assuming that the front door opens directly into the living room given it's position. If there is a separate hallway than the room next to it is going to be about 4' wide.

I'd love to see the size of the furniture in the show home. I bet it's straight out of a dolls house.

Well said.

Mr Cameron said: ''The new year is often a time when people look to make those big life-changing decisions like moving home or taking that first step on the housing ladder.

''But too many people have found themselves frozen out of the market in recent years as a result of the size of the deposit required.

''That is why as part of our long-term economic plan we introduced the Help to Buy scheme, so hardworking people with sufficient earnings can get on, fulfil their aspirations and enjoy the security of owning their own home.

:rolleyes:

Are you positive that isn't from the Mash?

To be fair though, there are Victorian back to backs in my town which must be smaller.

There was a kind of golden age of housing building with large generously sized rooms which kind of peaked around the 1970's partly I suspect as public sector house building imposed Parker Morris standards.

Now that public sector house building has collapsed, house building is reverting to the 'Dickensian' model.

Can't have them 'building over the countryside' can we.

To be fair though, there are Victorian back to backs in my town which must be smaller.

There was a kind of golden age of housing building with large generously sized rooms which kind of peaked around the 1970's partly I suspect as public sector house building imposed Parker Morris standards.

Now that public sector house building has collapsed, house building is reverting to the 'Dickensian' model.

I guess these are ex-LA homes (not sure though):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38965195.html?premiumA=true

Not much to look at from the outside but they offer substantial space inside, considering they are town houses on fairly compact plot sizes. I'm not a huge fan of 3 storey places but they make decent use of it imo. Wonder if the HTB buyers in Southampton would sneer at these.

Edited by The B.L.T.

I guess these are ex-LA homes (not sure though):

http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true

Not much to look at from the outside but they offer substantial space inside, considering they are town houses on fairly compact plot sizes. I'm not a huge fan of 3 storey places but they make decent use of it imo. Wonder if the HTB buyers in Southampton would sneer at these.

Yes I would say these are ex social homes built to Sir Parker Morris standards.

Separate kitchens too so you can have the washing machine on whilst watching 'Enders. Not cooking in the lounge seen as trendy by cheap skate private developers.

I recently saw a terraced house on Streetview in Castleford where my great grandfather brought up a huge family in the early 1900's. Smaller than those new H2B hutches!

Edited by aSecureTenant

Today I saw a 47 sq m 2 bed house - a tiny thing built about 1910, where the front door opens straight into the living room and you can barely swing a hamster on the 'landing', advertised on zoopla for £450K. And this is in Tooting.

It gets madder by the day.

Today I saw a 47 sq m 2 bed house - a tiny thing built about 1910, where the front door opens straight into the living room and you can barely swing a hamster on the 'landing', advertised on zoopla for £450K. And this is in Tooting.

It gets madder by the day.

Yup in Huddersfield we have a small block of early social tenements still standing and has now been turned into student bedrooms. However when first built, whole families would have been brought up in just one room. The back to backs and under dwellings are the same, basically just two small rooms on top of each other. I went to look at one to buy (outright) and decided I was better off in my 70's council flat!

The main difference between then and now is the cost. And property prices largely flatlined between 1900 and the 1960's. Then pow!

Indeed you could pick up decent 2/3 bed terraced houses in Northampton (Abingdon area) for a few hundred quid in the 60's I was looking at big 3 storey unmodernised terraced houses for about £3k late 70's shot up to £12-15k by early 80's.

Edited by aSecureTenant

One of these boxes for €180k I suppose:

Land/Profit 120k, materials £55k, labor 5k.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-39283288.html?premiumA=true

Thats quite an impressive* bit of building, notice the way the roof is completely straight, but the windows are at different heights because the road is at a slight angle.

I guess the ones on the right have the normal 6 ' high ceilings and the ones on the left, well they will be looking for some short people.

* note I didn't say good.

Thats quite an impressive* bit of building, notice the way the roof is completely straight, but the windows are at different heights because the road is at a slight angle.

I guess the ones on the right have the normal 6 ' high ceilings and the ones on the left, well they will be looking for some short people.

* note I didn't say good.

Sounds a bit low, that. Ours are just under 9 '

Yes I would say these are ex social homes built to Sir Parker Morris standards.

Separate kitchens too so you can have the washing machine on whilst watching 'Enders. Not cooking in the lounge seen as trendy by cheap skate private developers.

I recently saw a terraced house on Streetview in Castleford where my great grandfather brought up a huge family in the early 1900's. Smaller than those new H2B hutches!

Ah yes, not cooking in the lounge.

Now we have shitting in the bedroom.

Yup in Huddersfield we have a small block of early social tenements still standing and has now been turned into student bedrooms. However when first built, whole families would have been brought up in just one room. The back to backs and under dwellings are the same, basically just two small rooms on top of each other. I went to look at one to buy (outright) and decided I was better off in my 70's council flat!

The main difference between then and now is the cost. And property prices largely flatlined between 1900 and the 1960's. Then pow!

Indeed you could pick up decent 2/3 bed terraced houses in Northampton (Abingdon area) for a few hundred quid in the 60's I was looking at big 3 storey unmodernised terraced houses for about £3k late 70's shot up to £12-15k by early 80's.

In a way I can understand the smallness of such houses 100 years ago - after all these were built for people with little money and the cost of coal must have been a major consideration, so small rooms would have been cosier and cheaper to heat. Also people had infinitely less 'stuff'' than most have now - both household goods and clothes.

In a way I can understand the smallness of such houses 100 years ago - after all these were built for people with little money and the cost of coal must have been a major consideration, so small rooms would have been cosier and cheaper to heat. Also people had infinitely less 'stuff'' than most have now - both household goods and clothes.

People were smaller too.