House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Easton Bavents Cliff Top House Facing Demolition Up For Sale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-25375207

A house facing demolition on an eroding cliff top in Suffolk is going on the market for £25,000-£50,000.

The sellers said the property at Easton Bavents near Southwold comes with rights and financial help to build a new house elsewhere.

The agents said any loss could be off-set by the value of a new house in an area which has high property prices.

Waveney District Council said help would still be available in its scheme for new owners of blighted houses.

The house, at the end of Easton Lane, is about 8m (26ft) from the cliff edge.

The land it is on was estimated to have been about 1 mile (1.6km) from the coast in the 17th Century, but there has been continuous erosion since then, including an estimated 60cm (2ft) during the surge tides this month.

I think I'm going to put a bid in this morning.....

If you paid £30,000 and it was habitable for another five years you would have paid £6,000 a year, or £500 a month. It could be a bargain compared to rents in Southwold. And that's without the rights that the council are talking about.

If you paid £30,000 and it was habitable for another five years you would have paid £6,000 a year, or £500 a month. It could be a bargain compared to rents in Southwold. And that's without the rights that the council are talking about.

But you could be killed one night while you sleep. That's something of a bargain.

I doubt you would get 5 years out of it.

_64774553_eastonbavents2002mikepage1.jpg2002

_64774555_eastonbavents2012mikepage.jpg2013

Waveney District Council said help would still be available in its scheme for new owners of blighted houses.

Its basically a vote on how much you can stiff out of the local taxpayer. Had a segment on Pravda look east on the Local authority gifting six figure sums to 2nd home owners in coastal North Norfolk, who bought knowing full well of the erosion. This from the same LA thats cutting ambulance services that just led to a 26 year old man dying waiting on one.

Nothing is to good for homeowning boomers, remember that plebs.

Its basically a vote on how much you can stiff out of the local taxpayer. Had a segment on Pravda look east on the Local authority gifting six figure sums to 2nd home owners in coastal North Norfolk, who bought knowing full well of the erosion. This from the same LA thats cutting ambulance services that just led to a 26 year old man dying waiting on one.

Nothing is to good for homeowning boomers, remember that plebs.

agreed with your post re second home owners being bailed out by council tax payers

until that last sentence - how do you know they are 'boomers' - I really wish this term would disappear as it is only wheeled out when any story about houses wishes to condemn an entire generation

agreed with your post re second home owners being bailed out by council tax payers

until that last sentence - how do you know they are 'boomers' - I really wish this term would disappear as it is only wheeled out when any story about houses wishes to condemn an entire generation

not sure why the Council has any help schemes for these people...this coastline has been known to be eroding for centuries...

I doubt you would get 5 years out of it.

_64774553_eastonbavents2002mikepage1.jpg2002

_64774555_eastonbavents2012mikepage.jpg2013

Agreed, the rate of erosion is 1,600 metres in 3 or 4 centuries, around 4 or 5 metres per year on average, and it's now 8 metres from the edge. How close to the edge would you dare to live?

Looks like 2 years tops before it's on the edge.

Quite why compensation is on offer is beyond me. The erosion rates must be well known and part of life there.

Agreed, the rate of erosion is 1,600 metres in 3 or 4 centuries, around 4 or 5 metres per year on average, and it's now 8 metres from the edge. How close to the edge would you dare to live?

Looks like 2 years tops before it's on the edge.

Quite why compensation is on offer is beyond me. The erosion rates must be well known and part of life there.

Moreover, one cannot sensibly live in it right until it collapses, one would move out when there is a danger of collapse, which is soon.

Also, the owner will be obliged to demolish it before it falls onto the beach.

i do not forsee anyone actually living in it at all.

The value is entirely in these supposed special rights for planning permission, and I still don't anticipate the council granting permission to build just anywhere. So the value depends on buying some land where the council will grant permission (still has to be reasonably suitable for development) but would not normally have got planning permission (otherwise, why buy this endangered house at all).

It is not clear who would bear the demolition costs, and whether any funds or grant would be made available up-front, or withheld until demolition has been satisfactorily completed (probably the latter). So arguably, the net value of ownership could make it a liability, not an asset.

All a bit odd and i doubt the rights would be worth anything like £25k. Just not worth the hassle.

Edited by happy_renting