House Price Crash Forum
Executive Sadman

Passport Photo Inflation

Had to get a new passport photo recently and was disgusted at the price....5 quid everywhere.

Just saw this photo from a 1986 collection of london underground photos and you can make out it says 30p...

http://spitalfieldslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Mazzer-14.jpg

According to the banksters of england inflation has averaged 3.5% since then and so it should cost me 74p not 5 bloody quid.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/inflation/calculator/flash/default.aspx

That inflationist twat merv should compensate me £4.26.

It's worse than that. How much would a fully automated camera/developer/printer be in 1986 compared to a £200 computer and printer these days?

What annoyed me even more the last time I renewed my passport was the leaflet that came with the application form, which listed the technical specs needed for the photo (IIRC, the dimensions, that it must be in colour, a minimum DPI and the head/shoulder proportions). It then contained a paragraph to the effect that you are strongly advised not to take the photos yourself and print them on your inkjet, because if they don't meet the specs your application will be thrown out and you'll forfeit the £90 fee. However, it says, if you have the photos taken in the £5 booth at the post office, they are guaranteed to be compliant.

IMO that leaflet should not have been allowed - it's just scaremonger advertising for the post office and their ripoff booth machines.

In contrast, when I was going through the United States immigration formalities, I was given an equivalent leaflet, only this time with a user-friendly checklist for producing an acceptable 'selfie'. My wife took a pic of me in front of a white wall with my D-SLR, and I then cropped and resized it in Photoshop and printed it to the dimensions USCIS asked for. They accepted it without any problem. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I'd done the same thing with my last UK passport renewal, they'd have claimed that I infringed some minor rule (e.g. it was 0.03mm too wide, or something like that) and thrown it back at me.

Had to get a new passport photo recently and was disgusted at the price....5 quid everywhere.

Just saw this photo from a 1986 collection of london underground photos and you can make out it says 30p...

According to the banksters of england inflation has averaged 3.5% since then and so it should cost me 74p not 5 bloody quid.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/inflation/calculator/flash/default.aspx

This is pretty easy to do yourself. Take your own photo. Use something like Picasa to print it as 4 passport photos. Then either print yourself or as I do use a free tool to convert the print output to a JPEG ( can't remember the tool name without looking) and print at a photo booth. 30p at my local train station or 40p at Boots when I did it a month ago.

This is pretty easy to do yourself. Take your own photo. Use something like Picasa to print it as 4 passport photos. Then either print yourself or as I do use a free tool to convert the print output to a JPEG ( can't remember the tool name without looking) and print at a photo booth. 30p at my local train station or 40p at Boots when I did it a month ago.

I agree.

I have taken photos for myself and the kids this way without any issue.

Top tips:

1) If you have an SLR do use a portrait lens, you'll get better results than if you use a 80-200mm zoom on a short focal length.

2) Lighting - most people don't have a professional flash setup, so try and take the photo on a day with good natural light - this avoids the problem of shadows around the subject.

Went to postoffice and it cost £4.50 to get a new photo for my driving licence. One that meets their standards of not being smiley, or showing teeth, or grinning, or relfections etc.

And you don't get any spares to take home.

Did try and find a photobooth but the one we found wasn't working.

On top of the £20 to get a new photo added it's a bit of a pee take. We have in the past got photos taken and printed out at home for this but just cba.

Went to postoffice and it cost £4.50 to get a new photo for my driving licence. One that meets their standards of not being smiley, or showing teeth, or grinning, or relfections etc.

And you don't get any spares to take home.

Did try and find a photobooth but the one we found wasn't working.

On top of the £20 to get a new photo added it's a bit of a pee take. We have in the past got photos taken and printed out at home for this but just cba.

I did this online and they were able to get my recent photo (3.5yrs old) from the passport agency. No pics, no stamps needed.

Retired on the beach with only bankster of england pension fund to fall back on.

Inflation everywhere, it seems - Except for the official statistics.

Strange, that. dry.gif

There is Poundland tea bag inflation too. Used to be 80 tea bags for £1. Now 74 bags for a £1 and Brooke Bond even less - 70.

Merv I'm coming for you.

I renewed my Passport last year and made the mistake of using the Post Offices check and send service for the processing.

They were very sniffy about my photos which had actually been taken in a professional studio (they did not cost much more than the photo booths and I could get them retaken for nothing if I did not like the results). In the end they reluctantly agreed to send them but warned me that the Passport Agency might reject them.

Surprise, surprise my new passport turned up promptly with no problems.

On subsequent investigation it appears check and send is little more than a scam run by the Post Office who basically knock back peoples photos so they have to use their photo machines. The best advice is to ignore them completely. Simply complete the passport application online. Print out the form. Sign it. Attach the photos and simply post it using the ordinary mail. If you want additional security use Special Delivery after 1.00 pm the next day which is actually cheaper than check and send.

I did this online and they were able to get my recent photo (3.5yrs old) from the passport agency. No pics, no stamps needed.

Well I should now be able to renew my recently expired passport online using the photo they have off my DL.

I assume I can do that anyway.

Not that I'm going anywhere.

There is Poundland tea bag inflation too. Used to be 80 tea bags for £1. Now 74 bags for a £1 and Brooke Bond even less - 70.

Merv I'm coming for you.

Pilot error.

Sainsbury Basic's Fairtrade 80 for 29p.

Pilot error.

Sainsbury Basic's Fairtrade 80 for 29p.

I think for the majority of items the pound shops are no longer good value....buyer beware. ;)

You can DIY it for free with a digital camera using this brilliant website:

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

It has a wizard which guides you through the UK restrictions to make sure your head is the right size and in the right place etc. The result you get as output is a JPEG containing 8 or so correctly sized photos, which you can take and print out at a supermarket for the cost of ONE photo.

I used it and it cost a grand total of 27p last time.

EDIT: I see R K has sortof beaten me to it. However the site to commit to memory is really the http://www.epassportphoto.com/ site rather than whichever printing facility is this week's cheapest :)

Edited by mrtickle

I think for the majority of items the pound shops are no longer good value....buyer beware. ;)

Apart from ethernet and hdmi cables maybe?

It seems hard to disagree with photographic evidence, but I remember 1986 and am pretty sure you could not get 4 photos for 30p.

I've taken a passport photos by getting a friend to take a picture of me with a digital camera. Then editing it in a free photo editor and making a sheet with multiple photos on a single sheet of 8"*6" photo paper from a Max Spielman shop using their single print service and then cutting out multiple passport photos.

Total price 36p.