House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

2013.... How Was It For You?

So how was the year for you? Just curious.

For me it was a significant and memorable year, and does prove you never know what's around the corner. It's been awesome to travel America so widely. Really unforgettable actually. But it's also been the first time my health started to falter in various ways, and left me realising it's slowly downhill once past a certain age!

But while it's been brilliant overall for me, my close friend was not so lucky. He was fired in the run up to Xmas, after working in that area for so many years. It'll be tough for him starting over from scratch. At least I have a job waiting for me back in the UK, after finding America isn't such a great place to take your chances work-wise. In 2013 I learnt the true value of secure employment with a large company.

And you?

So how was the year for you? Just curious.

Good - a new sprog, healthy as. Savings continue to grow for that elusive house at some point. No debt, which gives massive sense of freedom. Job security good, with industry overall pretty recession proof as people seem to be stupid and greedy enough to need us whether economy is growing or not. A couple of deaths in the family not so good - but good deaths as they go, so not all bad.

Overall a solid 7/10 year personally.

On the wider front, I have been encouraged by a sea change in Oz/NZ/ AND UK where I reckon now over 50% of people I talk to agree high house prcies are a worry for the next generation. Hopefully by end 2014 they will be agreeing that it's bad for society as a whole!

Uneventful, which is what I like. My little business has done as well as I had hoped, no better or worse, and I've managed to save a reasonable amount. I suppose the biggest memory about 2013 will be that it was the year I abandoned all plans to buy a house ever again, and instead to buy a liveaboard narrowboat (in 2016), take early retirement and leave the rat race.

One cat down.

One neighbour down.

One neighbour moved out right near the end of the year which is good for the sanity of this street.

Another two deaths right at the end of the year with funerals this week.

Oh got married. Which was nice.

One cat down.

One neighbour down.

One neighbour moved out right near the end of the year which is good for the sanity of this street.

Got married? When did this happen?! Many congratulations!

A good year but an undertone of mid life "is this it?"

Wife and young daughter fine. Wife hates job. Not sure if she hates the concept of work or the job itself or possibly both. I changed jobs in August (same company, different position). Company has 120.000 employees or some such. Lesser pay but possibly more job security or is it time to make the jump to smaller company and better pay? Who knows. I don't. A couple of weeks holiday and the darkest time of the year does not make for a rested mind.

What I could have looked back on as a difficult year has been amazing in many ways, work difficulties have made me stronger and much less emotional about it all, and it may have led the way to a real freelance career. I don't get depressed for long any more, and get out of negative spirals.

I also got to enjoy that summer, grow a meadow, and watch the bees go by.

Not great except for my delightful daughter, and 2014 will be worse for various reasons.

All a consequence, one way or the other, of having the aforementioned delightful daughter with a mid-spectrum BPD woman.

That`s what you get for buying TWO ukuleles!

End this extravagance! :lol:

Exactly!

My ONE ukulele is waiting at my left hand... :blink:

Ah ha! I am indeed a left handed guitarist! I did not buy any such things this year, for I have enough! I might be tempted by a ukelele, for I have none of those! :blink:;)

One cat down.

One neighbour down.

Congratulations. I like getting married. Done it twice.

We are one much loved neighbour down and as a result up one cat.

Congratulations Sarah. :)

2013 was OK for me, not exciting other than visiting Barcelona in June. I have been in my current job since 2012 and that's going well financially I am in good shape. Not my highest earning year ever (highest earning was back in 2007-8 in a courier job I grew to dislike with mandatory overtime) but doing alright. In November 2013 I broke the 3 year barrier of continuous employment, which is a record. Oh and my duel fuel gas & electric bill with NPOwer has dropped to £14 a month.

Didn't work for the whole year. Just did what i wanted and had fun. Also chose the best Scottish summer in ages. Could have been worse.

Congratulations. I like getting married. Done it twice.

We are one much loved neighbour down and as a result up one cat.

This was my second time.

Think last cat is on her way out.

:-(

She is driving me up the wall demanding attention.

I recall Sarah's wedding thread.... congratulations you and hugs to your cat.

2013 was unbelievably shite.

Uncle died.

One of our cats died.

One of my allergies seemed to get worse.

A couple of clients began to struggle a bit with finances.

Though I'm hoping to pick up quite a big contract in a week or so from a client that has reappeared out of nowhere after a few years. They're doing well. I do seem to be quite "lucky" in as much as I never really have to "try" for business and seem to have some clients "for life". Must be doing something right :)

I can't honestly remember all that much about 2013 that was redeeming (although the HPC meet-up - it finally happened - was good), but 2014 holds promise.

I'd love to be more positive. Ask me next year..

Finally got divorced, obviously got shafted on the money side but that's what you get for being a reasonable and fair person. Still it's done now and I can move forward without the baggage.

Archery life took a back seat for the most part but managed a top 10 finish at nationals so not too much damage done there, have big plans for that in 2014 and hope to get back in to the top 5 I was a couple a years ago.

Had a slight down turn on the cultural activity side, although made a big dent in my quest to see all the Shakespear plays knocking off 3 in a single day when they did Henry VII parts one, two and three at the globe and also Richard II, all of which are some of the lesser plays to be put on.

Also went on a plane more times in a single year than I have in the last 10 combined, one of the perils of having a girlfriend from overseas.

Oh yeah, also turned 40.

Didn't work for the whole year. Just did what i wanted and had fun. Also chose the best Scottish summer in ages. Could have been worse.

ah me too, work is a real drag.

also best ski season for 10 years, and summer was not too hot, spent most of it in a hotel by the Italian lakes to get away from the insufferable local heat,

trebles all round I would say.

Well, I was about to post how good a year it was work-wise, then I read davidg's post..... Nah, I enjoy my job!

Work was good, lost a couple of drivers through retirement, so managed to get through a slow two quarters without having to ask for voluntaries. Last quarter of 2013 seen business pick up, looking reasonable for 2014. Lower bonus this year, but nice salary hike at the beginning, and mid, 2013. Better half has had a good year as well, she pedals drugs to the NHS/BUPA etc.

Finally bought our 'forever' home (I'm thinking of creating a login for mumsnet!) with the partner, and now rent our previous two flats for a modest 8-10% return (boo! hiss!) B)

Health wise has been excellent, ate and drunk too much, but we work at keeping the weight off.

Best bit was trip to the Nurburgring, with a few like-minded individuals, in the summer. As previously posted by ccc, it's been a cracking summer on the East coast of Scotland, fantastic motorcycling weather in God's own country :D