House Price Crash Forum

Debenhams Boss Say High Street Was 'sea Of Red' In Run-Up To Christmas

21 hours ago, Si1 said:

When someone's effective tax rate is 95% and they qualify for their tax credits etc purely by working 16 or   24 hours or whatever then there's no net benefit to the extra hours I guess.

I dont count loss off benefits as a tax esp, when those benefit are really high.

If you work out the percentage of tax paid, youll find that  earners under 20k with a couple of kids still have a negative tax rate.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Si1 said:

That goes for a lot of 'fresh' fish, I believe, wherever your are. True enough.

Best value raw fish I come across is in freezers in farm foods and Lidl.

It's better if the fish is frozen anyway, wild fish have a lot of parasites able to infect humans and freezing is an effective way to kill them.

6 hours ago, spyguy said:

I dont count loss off benefits as a tax esp, when those benefit are really high.

If you work out the percentage of tax paid, youll find that  earners under 20k with a couple of kids still have a negative tax rate.

But in terms of incentives, if somebody's going to take home a princely fiver for an extra ten hours work they aren't going to bother, are they?

Just now, Dorkins said:

But in terms of incentives, if somebody's going to take home a princely fiver for an extra ten hours work they aren't going to bother, are they?

No they are not.

But dis-inentives and high marginal tax rates are sortof different things.

The overall level of payroll taxes of someone facing these high marignal tax rates is tiny.

4 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

It's better if the fish is frozen anyway, wild fish have a lot of parasites able to infect humans and freezing is an effective way to kill them.

If you do not live close to the sea and can eat it fresh soon after being caught when it tastes its best.....frozen is next best, sometimes frozen on the same boats caught with.....nothing wrong with frozen peas but best is picked eaten straight away.;)

6 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No they are not.

But dis-inentives and high marginal tax rates are sortof different things.

The overall level of payroll taxes of someone facing these high marignal tax rates is tiny.

If we didn't have taxation or benefits, there wouldn't be this problem in the first place

12 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The seal population along the East coast has exploded.

Im a vegi, so im alright jack. However, I do warn people not to eat fresh fish esp, if caught inshore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

very very nasty.

1 minute ago, Locke said:

If we didn't have taxation or benefits, there wouldn't be this problem in the first place

Well, yes.

I believe this sort of problem was identified by one of the early Nobel (cough cough) prize winner sfor Economics - the little old lady who ate a fly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

The first of many over indebted businesses to fail.

Will this provoke a raft of new measures to prop up the zombie apocalypse?

Debenhams was down and out way before Corona, I don't see how they can justify propping it up.

It can hardly be called strategic, anyone care to take a guess how many of the shops will actually reopen?

(Obviously sad for all those involved, but surely the staff would have seen this happening eventually?)

1 hour ago, reddog said:

Debenhams was down and out way before Corona, I don't see how they can justify propping it up.

It can hardly be called strategic, anyone care to take a guess how many of the shops will actually reopen?

(Obviously sad for all those involved, but surely the staff would have seen this happening eventually?)

Debenhams has always been a dead man walking its debt load killed it years ago.

However why waste a good opportunity to prop up other over indebted morons. 20k job losses will panic the Gov't I doubt it will be saved but others  be.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

The Croydon store is large, well placed and relatively modern if they cannot make that work there isn't much hope for the rest of them.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Freki said:

7 years to reach the epilogue. 

It's gone, anyone is going to miss them? (aside of the commercial landlords)

Yeah - it's sad.  Brings back memories of my teenage years in Birmingham.

Its a strange situation, I went into town before Christmas planning to spend a good bit of cash, department stores looked abandoned, staff not really bovered.  I had a rude response when I went into the Jewellery shop, place was completely empty but I was still told I should have phoned ahead.  You could see the piggy eyes of the counter staff slavering to be on Furlough.  Came away with nothing and ordered online.  Not really surprised they are all going under, its just brought it forward.