House Price Crash Forum

Debenhams Boss Say High Street Was 'sea Of Red' In Run-Up To Christmas

HOLA441
5 hours ago, winkie said:

Corrected.......there is still a shrinking market of people who like to leave the house, visit a shopping centre, touch and feel stuff, buy from a human being.....like there are those who would not want to eat food made by an establishment where they couldn't see how the food was prepared or what went into it, they choose to cook from scratch and would never have it delivered....no right or wrong only individual preferences.....more choices the better for everyone......careful what you wish for.?

Well of course people will still use traditional shops, but not in anywhere near the volume required to sustain the current shop numbers. That's the issue.

The top end - Fortnum & Mason etc - will thrive. The middle will struggle and mostly die off.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
2 hours ago, Council estate capitalist said:

I'm not 100% about this but if the purchase of gift cards with a credit card is treated like a normal purchase then customers of WHsmith who would be holding worthless gift cards might be able to do a section 75 chargeback against WHsmith.

...only if the transaction was for over £100.

How many people buy giftcards for over £100? I'd bet that most will be under.

I used most of my Debenhams giftcard balance today. It would have been all of it, but when I got to the till they applied a discount for an offer which hadn't been displayed anywhere! 

HOLA443
HOLA444
5 hours ago, mrtickle said:

...only if the transaction was for over £100.

How many people buy giftcards for over £100? I'd bet that most will be under.

I used most of my Debenhams giftcard balance today. It would have been all of it, but when I got to the till they applied a discount for an offer which hadn't been displayed anywhere! 

Good point, I forgot about the £100 minimum for a Section 75 chargeback, Visa, Mastercard and Amex have their own "voluntary" schemes though where they'll sometimes chargeback transactions under £100 and recover the money from the seller.

1 hour ago, copydude said:

I think it's W H Smith being realistic.

Good chance Debs gift vouchers will be no more desirable than Woolies or BHS vouchers . . .

Maybe gift cards of defunct retailers could become a kind of morbid collectible. Like old share certificates.

HOLA445
14 hours ago, Errol said:

Well of course people will still use traditional shops, but not in anywhere near the volume required to sustain the current shop numbers. That's the issue.

The top end - Fortnum & Mason etc - will thrive. The middle will struggle and mostly die off.

Although good F&m is more of a special occasion shop, a shop for visitors and tourists......Christmas they do well.........apart from the elite stores, there is a place for a good department store in major towns and cities....how well it does depends on how well they want it to do.....has to offer something more than old style boring and stayed environment..... opportunity for so many improvements, needs new ideas and investment.?

HOLA446

AA profits drop 64% on higher spending, bad weather

https://www.ft.com/content/4f104590-c151-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a

'Higher spending costs and more callouts because of bad weather and a “pothole epidemic” across Britain saw profits at the AA sink by 64 per cent for the six months between January and July.'

Strange that.  How bad things happen to e PE companies and there's no spare fat to let them ride over it,.

Apparently theyve had to spend more money on callouts and fixing cars ...

Edited by spyguy

HOLA447
6 hours ago, spyguy said:

AA profits drop 64% on higher spending, bad weather

https://www.ft.com/content/4f104590-c151-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a

'Higher spending costs and more callouts because of  "useless tyres ” across Britain saw profits at the AA sink by 64 per cent for the six months between January and July.'

HOLA448
On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:06, Errol said:

Two press releases on the same day...

THE VIEW FROM SELFRIDGES

"Selfridges has delivered another excellent performance in 2017/18, and we have continued our ambitious programme of capital expenditure across all channels and stores. Significant investment, long-term planning and successful implementation remain the key elements in our drive to remain at the forefront of global luxury retailing"

– Paul Kelly, Selfridges Group Managing Director

Comment - The luxury players continue to thrive with Selfridges leading the pack, reporting its fifth consecutive year of record results with GTV rising by c£200m to reach £1.75bn.

And....

Aldi rings in £10bn of sales

Chief executive Giles Hurley said: “Our future investment plans underline our continued commitment to growing responsibly in the UK…In 2020, Aldi will have been serving British shoppers for 30 years. In that time, we've become part of the fabric of British life. We're proud to be reaffirming our commitment today.” ....full-year results: sales in the UK and Ireland rose 16.4% to £10.2bn in 2017, with operating profit up 29% to £265m.

What this means...

Rich are doing fine as evidenced by the spending in Selfridges and everyone else has to shop in the discount stores.  Whilst the middle struggles.  In summary; their plan is working.

HOLA449
13 minutes ago, Wayward said:

THE VIEW FROM SELFRIDGES

"Selfridges has delivered another excellent performance in 2017/18, and we have continued our ambitious programme of capital expenditure across all channels and stores. Significant investment, long-term planning and successful implementation remain the key elements in our drive to remain at the forefront of global luxury retailing"

Comment - The luxury players continue to thrive with Selfridges leading the pack, reporting its fifth consecutive year of record results with GTV rising by c£200m to reach £1.75bn.

And....

Chief executive Giles Hurley said: “Our future investment plans underline our continued commitment to growing responsibly in the UK…In 2020, Aldi will have been serving British shoppers for 30 years. In that time, we've become part of the fabric of British life. We're proud to be reaffirming our commitment today.” ....full-year results: sales in the UK and Ireland rose 16.4% to £10.2bn in 2017, with operating profit up 29% to £265m.

What this means...

Rich are doing fine as evidenced by the spending in Selfridges and everyone else has to shop in the discount stores.  Whilst the middle struggles.  In summary; their plan is working.

Yes, I've said this several times throughout the thread. Shops at the top end and the bottom end will be fine. It's the middle bracket that will really get eviscerated.

HOLA4410
On 02/10/2018 at 13:16, Errol said:

Yes, I've said this several times throughout the thread. Shops at the top end and the bottom end will be fine. It's the middle bracket that will really get eviscerated.

It's been like this awhile really. C&A pulled out of many European markets . . .  Primark could do 'Cheap & Awful' so much better.

HOLA4411

The share price went under 9p a share today. quite a large change in share ownership judging by the investor filing. 

Still quiet on the turnaround strategy. Surely they need to be implementing into Christmas trading ?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/brief-schroders-plc-cuts-stake-in-debenh/brief-schroders-plc-cuts-stake-in-debenhams-to-5163-percent-from-9765-percent-filing-idUKFWN1WQ06U

E88D700F-7E4E-40CA-A42F-87A94C22A94E.thumb.jpeg.fb008f50179777da047642149a547d9f.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Very quiet out in the high streets.....lots of 'up to' pick a percentage off sales....racks of clothing for sale, quite a bit of it is of poor quality, one or two wash life span then bin....more plastic waste to dispose of if we haven't already got enough.?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:01, Errol said:

I don't think they have got the message - this form of shopping is dead. People can't be arsed to go into shops these days. Why bother when you can order it from home while sitting on the couch eating chips?

I don't think that high street retail is dying because people are more lazy - it's just more efficient for most purchases.

I have no nostalgia for the boring inefficient Saturdays spent wandering up and down the high street hoping that one of the shops has a white shirt in something close to your size. Now you can order one online in 10 minutes and then spend your Saturday doing whatever you like, which of course COULD be sitting on the sofa eating crisps....but could equally be going out for a walk, run or cycle, or playing football.

HOLA4417
On 02/10/2018 at 13:02, Wayward said:

THE VIEW FROM SELFRIDGES

And....

What this means...

There are only 4 Selfridges stores, one Harrods, 3 Fortnums, Harvey Nichols 16 worldwide......what that is saying is not over expanded, there to cater for a certain type of customer in certain wealthier areas where there is  high footflow, everyone's money is welcome....you are right the rich are being looked after well, just have to find them and keep them.....the rest will have to in the main buy discount or inferior or goods and foodstuffs ordered cheaply in bulk from certain foreign suppliers, for people to then be able to afford to shop like are rich once in a while, special occasions, treats etc.......when we are free to buy/trade worldwide outside Europe this will only get more prevalent and noticeable.....happy days.?

HOLA4418
19 hours ago, scottbeard said:

I don't think that high street retail is dying because people are more lazy - it's just more efficient for most purchases.

I have no nostalgia for the boring inefficient Saturdays spent wandering up and down the high street hoping that one of the shops has a white shirt in something close to your size. Now you can order one online in 10 minutes and then spend your Saturday doing whatever you like, which of course COULD be sitting on the sofa eating crisps....but could equally be going out for a walk, run or cycle, or playing football.

I agree, sometimes doing things more congenial, relaxing, creative, hitting nature rather than traffic crowds to shop, shopping was once a great pastime when people had few things, they wanted to find out what was new in the market place, fashions were more in or out...today nothing is new and people are more individualistic.... technology sees can have the best of both worlds......saving time and money at the same time, time and cost travelling and parking, money eating and drinking out and money buying impulse purchases.....for some shopping is a pastime others a chore or waste of time.?

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, winkie said:

I agree, sometimes doing things more congenial, relaxing, creative, hitting nature rather than traffic crowds to shop, shopping was once a great pastime when people had few things, they wanted to find out what was new in the market place, fashions were more in or out...today nothing is new and people are more individualistic.... technology sees can have the best of both worlds......saving time and money at the same time, time and cost travelling and parking, money eating and drinking out and money buying impulse purchases.....for some shopping is a pastime others a chore or waste of time.?

Speaking as someone who had to take his daughter to Primark for 3h this half term ...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Saving the small business, privately owned small business shops......too little, too late.....less business rates, the landowners, investors will only increase the rents.......it is the rent that is the obstacle......there are other places that are more small business supportive........time to move to change to survive.?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425