House Price Crash Forum

Debenhams Boss Say High Street Was 'sea Of Red' In Run-Up To Christmas

HOLA441
19 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

The share price is testing new lows today. I’m not sure when the strategy options are due (some soft options have already been ‘tested’ and shot down). For me after the awful John Lewis numbers the question is how rapidly are margins deteriorating ? 

George Osborne's 'Grand Central' opened in September 2015, a monstrous point-of-sale opportunity for John Lewis that also masquerades as a railway station and a doss house for Eastern European beggars. The final bill was £750,000,000. No money was spent improving the railway track, platforms or rolling stock...

John-Lewis-JLAB-.jpg

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Debenhams preliminary results are due on the 25th of October. It'll be a white knuckle ride for the share price til then, and if the figures don't show significant improvement I don't think they will make it to Christmas 

Some chat on LSE share site about the state of DEBs finances...at the end of last year Debenhams had £918mn of net assets of which £820mn was Goodwill. The £98mn difference between those two numbers is probably the real value of Debenhams and is very similar to the £90Mn Mike Ashley eventually paid for HOF.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=DEB&page=2

HOLA445
2 hours ago, regprentice said:

Debenhams preliminary results are due on the 25th of October. It'll be a white knuckle ride for the share price til then, and if the figures don't show significant improvement I don't think they will make it to Christmas 

I'd have thought it would make sense to keep them open until January, even if only to sell off the remaining stock in the main spending season of the year, rather than try and liquidate it some other way.

Fundamentally though Debenhams is like Woolworths was - a brand that everyone feels warmly towards...until they stop to realise just what rubbish it sells and how rarely they ever want to go there.  

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45634363

”Debenhams attempts to 'bring joy back' to High Street”

Lots on a new store format (would probably need to visit the store to see whether it’s hot air) then in the article

”The company won't reveal the price tag of this new store, saying only that a capital contribution from its landlord, Intu, has paid for most of the cost. Debenhams will be the anchor tenant in the shopping group's new 400,000 sq foot development.”

See Intu Plc share price 

FA2FBF05-376B-4595-A539-85E05FC94E73.jpeg

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
18 minutes ago, Ash4781 said:

What’s the logic ? I can only think they sell a lot of volume/£ Debenhams gifts cards and wouldn’t want the bad press? (Surely there’s no liability for Whsmith)

Reputational risk.

Smiths have looked at the likelyhood iof Debs being around after xmas  and decided they dont ant disgruntled Xmas present holders saying their cards no valid.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No other takers.

No other options - from memory a John Lewis and a House of Fraser already exist in the town.... 

To say that Watford may be oversaturated with shops could be an understatement - it's slightly less hassle than going into the West End though if we are in the area....

HOLA4420
27 minutes ago, Houdini said:

It's not quite a new shopping centre, it's a redevelopment.

Interestingly the new Debenhams cornerstone tenant store is 113,000 sq ft see https://intu.co.uk/watford/news/the-intu-watford-revelopment-and-extension (which too me seems large for this day and age)..

From the BBC article. Aswell as the bar, etc. It reads like they have a lot more space than required!

“This new store has around 25% fewer products in women's fashion, but they are better displayed”

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Ash4781 said:

What’s the logic ? I can only think they sell a lot of volume/£ Debenhams gifts cards and wouldn’t want the bad press? (Surely there’s no liability for Whsmith)

People buying gift cards in wmsiths wont see it like that.

Again, smiths must know how many cards the sell i nthe run up to xmas.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Ash4781 said:

From the BBC article. Aswell as the bar, etc. It reads like they have a lot more space than required!

“This new store has around 25% fewer products in women's fashion, but they are better displayed”

Which, in a few years, means higher rent and higher rates.

Stupid thing for Debs to do, desprate spin opf the dice.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, Errol said:

I don't think they have got the message - this form of shopping is dead. People can't be arsed to go into shops these days. Why bother when you can order it from home while sitting on the couch eating take away chips?

Corrected.......there is still a shrinking market of people who like to leave the house, visit a shopping centre, touch and feel stuff, buy from a human being.....like there are those who would not want to eat food made by an establishment where they couldn't see how the food was prepared or what went into it, they choose to cook from scratch and would never have it delivered....no right or wrong only individual preferences.....more choices the better for everyone......careful what you wish for.?

HOLA4425
8 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

I'm not 100% about this but if the purchase of gift cards with a credit card is treated like a normal purchase then customers of WHsmith who would be holding worthless gift cards might be able to do a section 75 chargeback against WHsmith.

This could also just be a standard commercial dispute between Deb's and Smiths about how much commission Smiths take on the sale of the gift card.