House Price Crash Forum

Green Wednesday In Colorado

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Wow, I'd heard that a couple of US states were legalising it but I thought it would be in the limited format that Uruguay has brought in (sales to registered users, purchase limits) but this is full blown retail.

Colorado gets ready for Green Wednesday as legal marijuana goes on sale

WE'VE already had Black Friday and Cyber Monday but now the people of Colorado are getting ready to experience Green Wednesday.

By Cyrus Engineer/Published 1st January 2014

The state is the first in the US to allow the sale of marijuana for recreational use.

Marijuana retailers are planning celebrations and hiring additional security in preparation for large crowds of people keen to buy a legal bag of weed.

Some customers have camped out overnight in order to get their hands on a legal ounce (28.3g) of the drug, classified as a Class C substance in the UK.

Possession, cultivation and private personal consumption of marijuana by adults has been legal in Colorado for over a year but Green Wednesday is seen as an historic moment in the battle for full legalisation of cannabis.

Robin Hackett, a manager of licensed vendor Botana Care, told Sky News: "No one's ever done this before.

"We expect to have 2,000 joints ready to go by the time we open on January 1.

Workers for Botana Care have spent hours carefully rolling hundreds of marijuana cigarettes in preparation for the highly anticipated launch.

State authorities estimate the wholesale and retail sales of weed in Colorado will total £350m a year, which in turn will generate nearly £40m in taxes for the state.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/358330/Colorado-gets-ready-for-Green-Wednesday-as-legal-marijuana-goes-on-sale

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Sounds like a handy new tax revenue to help with the deficit ;)

I wonder if that will push it on to the UK liberal agenda... ?

It's inevitable, but we'll have to wait for the Express to advertise the idea in its front page headline.

Maybe people will have to take online psychological tests before they're licensed by the state as consumers.

HOLA447

It's inevitable, but we'll have to wait for the Express to advertise the idea in its front page headline.

Maybe people will have to take online psychological tests before they're licensed by the state as consumers.

Assuming no net ill effects in Colorado over the next few years (i.e. any attributed harm outweighed by benefits and taxation) I would put money on the introduction of medical marajuana to the UK followed a few years later by general licensing similar to other legal recreational drugs such as alcohol and nicotine.

Continued prohibition in an increasingly secular society given that there doesn't appear to be any greater intrinsic harm than with already legal substances is fairly illogical, but made immensely so by the rise in "research chemicals" that can be legally purchased with unknown health implications.

HOLA448

Assuming no net ill effects in Colorado over the next few years (i.e. any attributed harm outweighed by benefits and taxation) I would put money on the introduction of medical marajuana to the UK followed a few years later by general licensing similar to other legal recreational drugs such as alcohol and nicotine.

I was thinking of licensing of consumers, like a ration card or drivers licence.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I was thinking of licensing of consumers, like a ration card or drivers licence.

Yeh, I would also expect individual-specific licensing initially, especially if the first bout of legislation defines cannabis as legal for medical use only, with a later expansion to more generalised licensing (e.g. anyone over 18 years old) if it's further legalised for recreational use. I think any attempt at individual registration for recreational use wouldn't be able to stand up for long given the precedents already set with alcohol and nicotine licensing.

Although not a bad idea for the more detrimental recreational drugs out there i.e. individual licensing of heroine or similarly highly chemically addictive drugs might have an overall beneficial effect versus criminalisation for people who are already addicted - for one thing it could put drug dealers out of business and thus reduce the number of new addicts (assuming pre-existing addiction would have to proven in order to acquire a license).

HOLA4411
Guest TheBlueCat

I imagine the crime rate could come down. ;)

I hope you're right. It's going to be really interesting to see some actual statistics in a year or so. Is there anywhere else in the developed world that has a genuinely free legal market in cannabis? Everywhere else I can think of where it isn't fully illegal regulates it so closely as to still provide a market for the illegal variety.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Great news. And this is perhaps the only positive to come out of the Great Recession™

Hopefully this common sense will spread throughout the western world, despite the odds against.

I'm not a drug user btw. My interest is purely in Government making the right logical decisions that affect us all in one way or another.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Will be some very busy psychiatric epidemiologists in Colorado for the next decade or two...

If they breed 'traditional' varieties rather than the stuff bred solely for for THC levels, hopefully that will not be the case.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The consumers on the telly all looked like degenerate potheads.

I'm sure the suppliers/retailers will make a fortune as they did with tobacco, booze, gambling, prostitution etc etc.......

Next big thing clearly.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Will be some very busy psychiatric epidemiologists in Colorado for the next decade or two...

Yes. I'm not against legalisation and can in fact see many positives in extending it to all drugs. The problem for me is that it will massively increase the easy availability of the drug to young teenagers (and pre-teens) and this will cause great harm. Cannabis and the developing brain don't mix.

HOLA4420

Yes. I'm not against legalisation and can in fact see many positives in extending it to all drugs. The problem for me is that it will massively increase the easy availability of the drug to young teenagers (and pre-teens) and this will cause great harm. Cannabis and the developing brain don't mix.

I'm pro legalisation as it puts clear blue water between thick naive people's children and my own, who will be carefully primed to value their brain cells and long term memory.

Whatever the results there's a JAMA Psychiatry paper in it for someone.

HOLA4421

I'm pro legalisation as it puts clear blue water between thick naive people's children and my own, who will be carefully primed to value their brain cells and long term memory.

Whatever the results there's a JAMA Psychiatry paper in it for someone.

And they'll definitely listen?

Most parents tell their kids that getting repeatedly drunk isn't great for your future as well, but a stroll on the average high street on a weekend night would suggest that the message isn't being received one way or the other.

HOLA4422

And they'll definitely listen?

Most parents tell their kids that getting repeatedly drunk isn't great for your future as well, but a stroll on the average high street on a weekend night would suggest that the message isn't being received one way or the other.

I thought drinking was in serious decline among youngs persons.

Underage drinking is falling in the UK, down from 26% of 11 - 15 year olds in 2001 to 13% in 2010 in England – so 87% don’t drink regularly or to excess and the numbers of 11 - 15 year olds who have never drunk alcohol has increased from 40% in 2000 to 55% in 2010.

http://www.alcoholeducationtrust.org/Pages/factfig.html

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I hope you're right. It's going to be really interesting to see some actual statistics in a year or so. Is there anywhere else in the developed world that has a genuinely free legal market in cannabis? Everywhere else I can think of where it isn't fully illegal regulates it so closely as to still provide a market for the illegal variety.

I can't imagine serious cannabis users commit much crime anyway. They are too "bonged"! It's serious heroin users that would burgle your microwave for a fix! Still I think t foolish to criminalise something that is in common use, probably mostly by casual users, wanting a "party effect"! Can't remember the last time I had a "toke"!

Probably has less of a social bad effect than alcohol!

HOLA4425

Archived