House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Preacherman

Why This Woman Cut Down Her Beloved Cherry Tree

More from the wail on the secretly poor, this time on middle class fuel poverty.

Standing at the foot of my garden, my breath freezing in front of my face in the early morning December chill, I realise the tears pricking in my eyes aren’t simply due to the cold.

A hard-hatted young man, armed with a chainsaw, is nimbly shimmying up the 35ft trunk of my only cherry tree — it may have taken 20 years to grow, but in less than an hour, there’ll be nothing left to show for it but a stump and a pile of logs.

I never wanted to have the tree cut down, but as a complicated system of ropes and pullies ferries its magnificent branches down to the men manning axes and a mulcher below, there’s no turning back now.

Besides, I have no choice: I need the wood for fuel. Because of the steady rise in gas and electricity prices, my bills have tripled over the last ten years.

Like so many other hard-working Britons I now find myself living in fuel poverty. The Chancellor’s recent announcement of £50 off bills is no help. It means just a few pence per day.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532015/Middle-class-poverty-poignant-tale-woman-cut-beloved-cherry-tree.html#ixzz2p8SsJohn

Of course she could always sell the house and move somewhere she could afford to heat.

More from the wail on the secretly poor, this time on middle class fuel poverty.

Of course she could always sell the house and move somewhere she could afford to heat.

Absolute nosh too. A decent tree surgeon to do that job? Well 35 feet isn't massive but depends on the working conditions and equipment / crew needed £350 wouldn't be insane to do it. £350 still buys plenty of wood.

She's not that fussed about the tree is she. Its more mail nonsense.

the cost of the tree surgeons - chaps with chain saws - and the loss of the cherries and the pleasure the blossom gives is surely more valuable than the logs (which she can't use for at least 12 months)

also - wood burning stoves are not £500 unless second hand - and they need proper installation to line the chimney etc which also costs.

very much a non-story - but then what do you expect from the Mail

Late in life to be losing her cherry

Ha!

What a ******ing comedy story, total random Daily Mail story generator. A bot wrote that, surely?

In the mid eighties we burned our furniture but were skint, and drunk, idiots.

Presumably THIS Hazel Southam in THIS Victorian Terrace ?

unfortunately, SOLD PRICES don't go back to 1993, but No. 4 sold for £76K in August 1996, £144k in June 2000 and £279,950 in April 2010 :blink:

JAM today, but perhaps not jam tomorrow ?

I love this sites tenaciousness in finding the person in the article, their occupation, where the lived and how much they bought it for in quite a quick time

reporters reporting on reporters....Nothing new in 2014.

actual news that isnt press released rarely makes it.

The year of the circle jerk

There is so much 'space to fill' it is pretty easy to get both 'NEWS' and 'non news' into the press* - While the 'NEWS' is diluted, it's still there.

Edited to add: *If you have both a story and images

She has to dry it before burning. Also, cherry wood has an intrinsic value greater than firewood.

Whatever she paid the tree surgeon would buy a lot of firewood. There is more to this story...

Sounds totally bogus! A cherry tree is a good thing1 It makes cherries! Do you think she wants to build a bungalow in its place! :blink:

Perhaps that the terrace at 6 St John's Road is a BTL ? as THIS is another registered address for Hazel Southam the Jam and Chutney making Journalist - If I'm right, as it's all a bit confusing.

No, that's her accountants address

JOHN CHAMBERLAIN ACCOUNTANTS LTD

14 THE NEWLANDS, SM6 9JU, WALLINGTON

Bookkeeping & Accounting Services

http://wallington-sutton.cylex-uk.co.uk/map/the%20newlands.html

Freecycle has wood on it from time to time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/firewood-logs-/161181454471?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item258729d087

they're not that dear if you can collect and chop. But when you add up time and effort you may as well buy them by the ton bag.

4 1/2 builders bags worth for 140 quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fire-wood-logs-Tameside-/161187000747?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item25877e71ab

That's probably the best way of buying them. One of the blokes does actually stack them for you too if you smile sweetly.

And she should probably put socks and woollies on if she's cold.

Freecycle has wood on it from time to time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/firewood-logs-/161181454471?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item258729d087

they're not that dear if you can collect and chop. But when you add up time and effort you may as well buy them by the ton bag.

4 1/2 builders bags worth for 140 quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fire-wood-logs-Tameside-/161187000747?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item25877e71ab

That's probably the best way of buying them. One of the blokes does actually stack them for you too if you smile sweetly.

And she should probably put socks and woollies on if she's cold.

We went down the Severn in our canal boat in 2012 just after it had been in flood, the river was absolutely full of driftwood, people where hauling out enough wood to keep to them warm for months- all for free.

Presumably THIS Hazel Southam in THIS Victorian Terrace ?

unfortunately, SOLD PRICES don't go back to 1993, but No. 4 sold for £76K in August 1996, £144k in June 2000 and £279,950 in April 2010 :blink:

JAM today, but perhaps not jam tomorrow ?

Can you find Corinne Stockheath?

Absolute nosh too. A decent tree surgeon to do that job? Well 35 feet isn't massive but depends on the working conditions and equipment / crew needed £350 wouldn't be insane to do it. £350 still buys plenty of wood.

She's not that fussed about the tree is she. Its more mail nonsense.

in the north west it would cost less than £200 to chop down that tree. But for about £100 you can buy enough logs to last the winter, delivered and chopped. Are we really expected to believe that woman is suffering from fuel poverty. shes wearing what looks like hunter wellies and a branded padded jacket. what a load of guff

She has to dry it before burning. Also, cherry wood has an intrinsic value greater than firewood.

Whatever she paid the tree surgeon would buy a lot of firewood. There is more to this story...

Agreed. I hate to think what having green, sappy cherry wood logs 'burning' in the grate would look like. Every smoke alarm for miles going off..

Been there, done this. Cut down two cherry trees a few years ago - they were getting too big. If she's thinking of burning it - good luck. It's damn hard to split. You really need a proper power-driven splitter to do the work (my farmer friend has one).

Fruiting cherry wood isn't much good for furniture - the trees are too close jointed with short boles, so no decent lengths of timber can be found. The usual cherry in joinery is the wild cherry.