House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Nominet The Ultimate Cyber Rentier

This might be off topic, just to tip off the mods but over the past couple of days I've been having a hell of a battle with Nominet over about 20 domain names (all co.uk's) which had become orphaned. I was going to let them expire but I've thought up a little project to put them to some use.

Registrant contact details were out of date, not helped by the fact that they were originally registered to a limited co which I let go sometime ago as it had ceased trading and was no longer required so I updated my details at Nominet's secure login site. Within a few hours my changes were rejected saying this required a change of registrant. The cost of processing would cost about £300, involve tons of hoop jumping, historical records, checks to ensure I actually controlled the domains. They added they just might do a cut price rate of £60.

I still thought £60 and a load of paperwork and hoop jumping for some crappy (but aged) domains was a bit much so to short cut the procedure, I found a cut price company formation and registered the original registrant for £20 (the co will be non trading and will just hold a domain portfolio so can just file non trading accounts every year). I thought that would shut Nomicrap up, but know they then argued because that co was newly registered it couldn't have been the originally registrant (well actually it can because limited co's are a bit like domains, people either keep them going or they don't and if they are dissolved they become available for registration again if the name is still available).

Anyway Nominet are now threatening to turn off all these domains by the 26th January unless I cough up some cash for their entirely bogus registrant changes and extortion racket, this is despite a contract with me to provide domain registration for two years and to actually resolve the domains via the DNS system. This evening I've ploughed through the Nominet site and generated a considerable list of their own members who also don't comply with their 'registrant' requirement. Indeed their are many who are trading but who have curiously opted out of the WHOIS . Everyone knows that Nominets database is a mess and allows anyone to register domains with the name Mickey Mouse if they wish.

My advise to anyone who requires a domain name for an internet related business would be to avoid this sprawling fat cat rentier called Nominet that sits like a giant spider at the head of the .UK domain. They are more trouble and jobsworthy than all the other TLD registrars put together.

As I speak they taken issue with another domain, saying its registered to a non existent trading entity and although its still resolving they have tipped off Godaddy and its vanished from my control panel. (Groan)

I really don't know what the point of Nominet is. I have just registered a new domain via 123-Reg for about six quid. 123-Reg will be lucky to get a few pence and will have to provide the promotion, the forwarding service and provide support. Nominet will hoover up most of the fiver and they are allegedly a 'not for profit.' I know the top brass of Nominet are on good bonuses, I don't know why they do 'feck all to promote UK namespace. 123-Reg's loss leader is some fat cats pension. A quango that isn't a quango.

I thought Google was the ultimate Cyber retier, picking and choosing the winners of the web and renting everyone else a space at the top for a price.

Indeed. Google are the worst data abusers on the internet - everything that passes through their systems is mined, packaged and sold as services to someone or other. If people at large understood their business model they'd run them out of town. Far worse than anything yesterday's evil giants (eg Microsoft) ever got up to or indeed were even capable of getting up to.

Your new companies are not the old companies. They are legally distinct. Nominet is, legally, quite correct.

The domain names will have become, on dissolution of your old companies, Government property if they were not transferred or assigned beforehand.

There is nothing Nominet can do to change that, and to transfer the domain names to your new companies would expose them to legal action from the Government, receiver or administrator of the old companies (if appointed).

If the domain names aren't that valuable to you but they're still working (until the 26th), you could 301 redirect them to new domains? Google (boo hiss) would pick that up. If you're not actually using them I'd say let them expire, life is too short to fight Nominet.

Your new companies are not the old companies. They are legally distinct. Nominet is, legally, quite correct.

The domain names will have become, on dissolution of your old companies, Government property if they were not transferred or assigned beforehand.

There is nothing Nominet can do to change that, and to transfer the domain names to your new companies would expose them to legal action from the Government, receiver or administrator of the old companies (if appointed).

That is to some extent a valid point as the company registration numbers have obviously changed however with Nominet domains the company registration number field is entirely optional (not a requirement) and its a moot point given the sheer number of UK domains registered to non existent entities. Also they were quite happy to accept the renewal fee's given it was me renewing them on my credit card and not the Government.

My overall impression is that they are incentivising the staff to nitpick registration problems in order to create fee income. Bit of a nonsense when you can still register UK domains with 'mickey mouse' credentials from most of their registrars.

Anyway I have reseller accounts with Enom, SRSPlus and OpenSRS. I have really no need to prat about with the increasingly ludicrous jobsworths at Nominet.

That is to some extent a valid point as the company registration numbers have obviously changed however with Nominet domains the company registration number field is entirely optional (not a requirement) and its a moot point given the sheer number of UK domains registered to non existent entities. Also they were quite happy to accept the renewal fee's given it was me renewing them on my credit card and not the Government.

My overall impression is that they are incentivising the staff to nitpick registration problems in order to create fee income. Bit of a nonsense when you can still register UK domains with 'mickey mouse' credentials from most of their registrars.

Anyway I have reseller accounts with Enom, SRSPlus and OpenSRS. I have really no need to prat about with the increasingly ludicrous jobsworths at Nominet.

You lost the rights to the domain names through your own misjudgement and carelessness.

Nominet simply do not have the legal power to transfer property to you when it no longer belongs to you.

Is your wife fit? If she ever becomes widowed, I might change my name to yours by deed poll, move into your home and get stuck in. I'm sure you'd understand. :P

You lost the rights to the domain names through your own misjudgement and carelessness.

Nominet simply do not have the legal power to transfer property to you when it no longer belongs to you.

Is your wife fit? If she ever becomes widowed, I might change my name to yours by deed poll, move into your home and get stuck in. I'm sure you'd understand. :P

Yep you are right. I kept on renewing them even though I knew the registration details were not right (for a rainy day) but that happens a hell of a lot.

To be honest I couldn't care less. In fact I'm annoyed with myself with re-engaging myself with the general nonsense which is the UK domain name industry. It only attracts a particular class of nutter. I should know better by now. Funny a few weeks ago, I was happy for everything to expire.

Just Google for more information on the fights that the Nominet board seems to embroil itself in.

Edited by aSecureTenant

DNS will likely face alternatives in the not so distant future. It is too centralised and political. Namecoin is a first stab and I am sure such cheap and decentralised systems will catch on.

I think this is the reason for why I've had problems.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/blog/next-step-our-drive-improve-data-quality

The only reason Nominet wants better data quality is so they can sell it to ambulance chasing intellectual property lawyers and other snoops, for £400 a pop via their PRSS service and to monetize their own errors, such as changing say secure-tenant limited to securetenant ltd and claiming this needs a £12 a time 'change of registrant.'

At the moment though they are just selling crap. For example take this 'real life' example (the domain belongs to a Nominet registrar too). redrawinternet.co.uk belongs apparently to AwellConnected.Com. Can a domain name own another domain? I don't think so. Even their PRSS service is compromised.

I've got to agree about Nominet being the ultimate rentiers. I had a pre Nominet domain name - one from the University of Kent who used to run the UK DNS system. The contract was I didn't have to pay a penny for this for life. Nominet took over and they wanted a lot of money back in the day for a .co.uk, they were not happy I wasn't paying a penny and cut my name off on some bogus grounds. It wasn't worth me suing them.

I've got to agree about Nominet being the ultimate rentiers. I had a pre Nominet domain name - one from the University of Kent who used to run the UK DNS system. The contract was I didn't have to pay a penny for this for life. Nominet took over and they wanted a lot of money back in the day for a .co.uk, they were not happy I wasn't paying a penny and cut my name off on some bogus grounds. It wasn't worth me suing them.

Yes they took something which was non commercial (the old naming committee run by Willie Black) and the hangers on slowly corporatised and monetized it, including the database.

I've always thought we should have more 2nd level delegations of the UK namespace where you can have a '.UK' domain without Nominet even being involved. But I guess that would be competition.