House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

albimac

Credit Report

I have a number of phone contracts on the go, mainly due to *ahem* children. I've never had problems in the past getting a big green tick when it came to the credit check. However, I was recently declined for a contract in the Tesco phone shop. I took a note of the credit agency who Tesco had used & paid £2 for a statutory report from them. I was expecting an error on the report but found absolutely nothing wrong. Confused, I decided to apply for a similar contract directly with my current network provider, but was again declined. They later called me back, asked some simple security questions & said I had passed their own credit check.

I realise my lifestyle could be a barrier to credit, as I'm a renter & move address more than average due to my employer. What's confused me though is that my personal details have not changed for nearly 3 years. In that time I've started/renewed 4 or 5 contracts, all of which went seamlessly. My credit report (first time I've seen it) was also spotless. I'm now wondering if I'll have to go through this every time I apply for credit. Have they tightened things up in preparation for more unemployed or is there a gremlin somewhere in my credit history?

Thank you for the link. I did know there was more than one big agency. The one that Tesco used for me however showed no problems on my report. Ironically the previous phone contract had been with Tesco, so I wasn't exactly a stranger to them. I had only been in my present address for roughly 7 months when they approved the last credit application.

You can be declined for credit if you have recently applied for and received a number of different forms of credit.

Thankfully I'm not in a position where I depend on credit, so the only things I put on credit is mobile phones & the odd car insurance policy. To be honest I seem to have taken the whole credit thing for granted. I was under the impression that a good credit history would nearly always guarantee acceptance. It now feels like I'm walking on egg shells rather than red carpet.