House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Protect Yourself From Muggers With An Old Phone

Armed mugger hands flip phone back to victim because it wasn't cool enough

A GUN-TOTING mugger was so outraged by a victim's uncool flip phone that he handed it BACK to him.

By Cyrus Engineer/Published 30th December 2013

The amazing incident occurred in New York City's Central Park after the gunman targeted 25-year-old Kevin Cook and his friend as they strolled through the popular park.

After pulling out his weapon and threatening to kill the 25-year-old and his friend, the mugger demanded Cook hand over his valuables but little did he know he was in a for a massive disappointment.

"Once he saw my phone, he looked at it like, 'What the f*** is this?' and gave it back to me," Mr Cook told the New York Post.

"It's like a 3-year-old generation Windows phone.

"I guess he didn't think he could get anything for it. It's kind of humorous," added the salesman.

After rejecting the phone the mugger and his accomplice fled the scene before the police could apprehend them.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/358050/Armed-mugger-hands-flip-phone-back-to-victim-because-it-wasn-t-cool-enough

I would still be using my ten year old Sony walkman type phone if I hadn't gone on me with the white screen of death when it was no longer available. I now have a smart phone but am not a fan of it; might go for a real basic one when this goes to be safe from muggers :)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/358050/Armed-mugger-hands-flip-phone-back-to-victim-because-it-wasn-t-cool-enough

I would still be using my ten year old Sony walkman type phone if I hadn't gone on me with the white screen of death when it was no longer available. I now have a smart phone but am not a fan of it; might go for a real basic one when this goes to be safe from muggers :)

Take this approach to the limit by filling your house with old crap that no-one wants to deter burglars.

In addition, drive a car that looks like crap to deter car thieves, and dress down with holey clothes and bad B. O. to put off any muggers.

Justify the appalling smell to incredulous friends and relatives by pointing out the benefits of not needing a six man SAS security detail when you walk down the street.

I carry a 20 year old phone and a pre-decimal coinage brown 10 bob note.

Muggers often give me money...

I have a groat in my wallet! For the younger people here, that is a silver fourpence! ;)

Great idea! I have a 5 year old Samsung mobile phone. I would be more irritated by the loss of my contants' details and the < £10 PAYG credit than the phone itself. :lol:

My living room is full of unfashionable tat. A burglar stealing the big heavy 2004 Sony CRT TV set would probably end up getting a hernia rather than much financial gain once sold on. B)

I carry one of these for protection. Well balanced weight when cradled in the palm before smashing against your assailant's face.

oldcellphones3_18_06_08.jpg

How does your back deal with the weight of carrying it though ?

You'd be so crippled from carrying it around your chance of using it would be negligible. Unless you had some sort of harness and strapped it to your front like some people carry babies.

1388424011[/url]' post='1102440200']

I carry one of these for protection. Well balanced weight when cradled in the palm before smashing against your assailant's face.

You are Dom Jolly and I claim my five pounds.

I was issued with a "work phone" of about that size for a weekend of being on-call back in about 1998. This was when everybody and their dog was getting nokia-ed up and this eighties brick was already embarrassing beyond belief. Fortunately it turned out to have a standby time of about ten minutes following an overnight charge, so it was pointless taking it out of the house. I still got paid.

I was issued with a "work phone" of about that size for a weekend of being on-call back in about 1998. This was when everybody and their dog was getting nokia-ed up and this eighties brick was already embarrassing beyond belief. Fortunately it turned out to have a standby time of about ten minutes following an overnight charge, so it was pointless taking it out of the house. I still got paid.

One of the people in our hot hatch clique had one of those for work around that time. The thing was so ancient it couldn't even do text messaging.

If your real name is Martin and Southend means anything to you in this context, that will be most scary.

This thread made me think of that phone. Would be potentially lethal if used in anger.

I wonder if muggers are discerning enough to ignore, for example, an iPhone 3 but go for an iPhone 5.

We make light of it a bit.

At one time stopping people in the public highway with a weapon and relieving them of their valuables could see the criminal enjoying a stay in Newgate prison or even hanging by the neck.

Now it's not even reported in a lot of cases.

Still it's only a phone.