House Price Crash Forum

Chancel Repair Liabilities

Either the Church of England has no idea of the stress and hardship it is creating for families, or it just doesn't care. Which do you believe it is?

The Church of England is a large organisation with thousands of people and hundreds of different legal entities making one vaguely related body with a whole range of opinions and so the question is unanswerable. I have been involved in two places where parishes have registered the liability on another part of the Church of England one of which was a penniless trust lumbering the trustees with the liability.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one is to get insurance, the one thing you cant do is have any communication with the Church or draw attention to your property. So that looks like check mate.

Seems like the insurance companies are (unsurprisingly) being just as unscrupulous on this matter as the church.

If you've done a rigorous search yourself and can't find any legal proof then you may well have a good chance of having the claim anulled, although it might be somewhat of a gamble.

Seems like the insurance companies are (unsurprisingly) being just as unscrupulous on this matter as the church.

If you've done a rigorous search yourself and can't find any legal proof then you may well have a good chance of having the claim anulled, although it might be somewhat of a gamble.

I can understand the position of the Insurance Companies. Any unsophisticated attempt to communicate with the Church or offer to pay any sums of money would compromise any subsequent legal negotiations.

But, it does stop a clean fight.

I can understand the position of the Insurance Companies. Any unsophisticated attempt to communicate with the Church or offer to pay any sums of money would compromise any subsequent legal negotiations.

But, it does stop a clean fight.

The irony being the only way to permanently remove the liability is to speak to the CofE in some way. I think if I was stuck in the quandary I would write to the to the relevant archbishops office (after checking the small print from the insurance company) who is completely detached from the situation and ask them to explain why this is happening and outline the pain it has caused to and ask for their advice.

The irony being the only way to permanently remove the liability is to speak to the CofE in some way. I think if I was stuck in the quandary I would write to the to the relevant archbishops office (after checking the small print from the insurance company) who is completely detached from the situation and ask them to explain why this is happening and outline the pain it has caused to and ask for their advice.

Good advice. The Archbishop appears to be a very reasonable man with a conscience, unlike the hard headed middle class business types that appear to run the church at the local level. One assumes he has the power to waver these medieval rights.

Good advice. The Archbishop appears to be a very reasonable man with a conscience, unlike the hard headed middle class business types that appear to run the church at the local level. One assumes he has the power to waver these medieval rights.

I am afraid he has no power to do anything it is absolutely in the power of the local PCC as a result of Charity law and the way the CofE works. Apparently the archbishop has written a supportive letter to one landowner owner who had a tiny amount of liability but I would imagine he is mostly unaware of the distress the issue is causing and how widespread it is.

I am afraid he has no power to do anything it is absolutely in the power of the local PCC as a result of Charity law and the way the CofE works. Apparently the archbishop has written a supportive letter to one landowner owner who had a tiny amount of liability but I would imagine he is mostly unaware of the distress the issue is causing and how widespread it is.

Thanks for you continuing help on this Greg - you are one of the good guys.

Do the PCC's answer to anyone?

As I understand it, they are volunteers and operate under the banner of a charity. As such they do not have to publish minutes and are not open to scrutiny under the Freedom Of Information Act.

Edited by bumpy

Thanks for you continuing help on this Greg - you are one of the good guys.

Do the PCC's answer to anyone?

As I understand it, they are volunteers and operate under the banner of a charity. As such they do not have to publish minutes and are not open to scrutiny under the Freedom Of Information Act.

They are answerable to no one other than the annual Annual meeting and the charity commission and they have to abide to various church regulations. To have a say at the AGM a person has to be on the electoral role and anyone can apply to be on the electoral role if they either live in the parish or attend church on a least a monthly basis but they must fill out a form before a certain prescribed date which varies from parish to parish. The first part of the meeting for election of the wardens is open to everyone if they are either on the church electoral role or on the local register of local government elector whilst the bulk of the meeting is only for those on the electoral role.

Put a new post up about Chancel repair liability (here) a bit geeky but more or less I suggest that it is at least possible that the Deadline date of October 13th to register was incorrect and new householders could buy a place that has the liability. and there is a need for a court case or a change in the law to make to make it clear.