House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goat

F1 Champion Michael Schumacher Critical After Ski Fall

Not a fan myself but he has a wife and kids and I'm not going to wish him ill just because I don't like Jerry winning motor races:

F1 champion Michael Schumacher critical after ski fall

Michael Schumacher, seven-time Formula 1 world champion, is in a "critical condition" after a skiing accident, says the French hospital at which he is being treated.

The 44-year-old German "was suffering a serious brain trauma with coma on his arrival" the hospital in the south-east city of Grenoble said in a statement.

I hope this isn't as bad as it looks.

Edit: mods: obviously off topic but lets give it some time on the main forum, heck he probably owns a house in London which makes it as relevant as some of the topics on here.

Ive been to meribel very nice resort inbetween val thoren and corcheval

theres a great pub up the mountain called the rond point, everyone sledges down to the village on beer trays etc in the dark when a bit merry!

Good luck to him but I can't stand this horrible reporting of reporting on all the celeb tweets wishing him luck. Completely irrelevant.

A critical injury even though he was wearing a helmet, I wonder how fast he was going?

I doubt one has to be travelling very fast if you hit fall and hit your head on a rock, or even on packed snow. People die falling over on concrete after all.

Elf and Safety should send a Swat (Safety with Attitude team) to close all resorts...far too dangerous

A critical injury even though he was wearing a helmet, I wonder how fast he was going?

There was a lengthy thread some time ago about the benefits/unbenefits of wearing cycle helmets. I think there was some study done somewhere that says there is little benefit, or something.

Skiing is a dangerous pastime. You are moving at speed, often with little protection and there are numerous hazards/hard objects.

I love it though, the sense of speed and control is wonderful. I suppose it is quite similar to motorbike and car racing in that respect.

Best wishes to schumacher. Hope he gets well soon.

Well, of course the brain can rebuild itself, may take a couple of years. The first week or two are most important.

I hope he got treatment quickly before his brain became a mass of leaked blood.

This is a shame and I'm hoping but not expecting that it ends well. When the best course of action is to induce coma and hope for the best things are pretty grim.

I've been unfortunate enough to see a man die whilst skiing. The guy looked competent , was skiing to the conditions and appeared in complete control. A small error meant he caught an edge and kind of ended up with all his weight on one ski facing straight down the fall line. Instead of falling he tried to regain control and in the blink of an eye had travelled far enough to collide chest first with a snow cannon. My father and I were travelling above the run on a lift and immediately knew he was in serious trouble. We relayed the message up the lift and contacted ski patrol at the top. We then skiied the run to see what if anything we could do. As we arrived the evac copter landed and took the unfortunate victim away. Apparently he'd died in the something like 8 minutes it took for the EMTs to reach him...

I've never got this out of my mind. No one expects to go for a swift jaunt down a blue run and snuff it. Its all just luck and numbers. I hope the former is with Michael Schumacher. Despite all his Germaness away from the sport that he defined for a decade he seems a good guy. I think it was the day after the Asian tsunami he donated 8 million quid to help. Now he has plenty cash but still. That's a bit more than a gesture...

There was a lengthy thread some time ago about the benefits/unbenefits of wearing cycle helmets. I think there was some study done somewhere that says there is little benefit, or something.

Firstly I wish Michael Schumacher a full recovery and hope it goes ok,

I had a bike accident once, I've been told by the doctors that without the helmet I wouldn't be here today, the danger of helmets is that it can make you complacent but I'm not aware of them having any benefit, they have said that for Michael's accident without the helmet he wouldn't be here. I'd be interested to see these studies that say there is little benefit of wearing a helmet

I had a bike accident once, I've been told by the doctors that without the helmet I wouldn't be here today, the danger of helmets is that it can make you complacent but I'm not aware of them having any benefit, they have said that for Michael's accident without the helmet he wouldn't be here. I'd be interested to see these studies that say there is little benefit of wearing a helmet

Have a chew through this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet

There was a long thread citing some of these issues on here IIRC.

I think the jist of some of it is that it is better not to be put in a position where you need a helmet to save you in the first place.

See the section Legislation and Culture.

FWIW, I remain undecided.

Don't wear a brain bucket myself but would if I skied off-piste.

Not much cover this time of year and all sorts of stuff just below the surface, rocks, tree stumps etc.

Yes had this discussion on here before. It is fine to say just don't get into dangerous situations and you won't need one. However life is not like that. If someone is trying a jump and doesn't look first - and you are going down the slope all fine and dandy until suddenly a ski is a foot away from the back of your head - to say you wouldn't want a helmet on at that point - is quite frankly ludicrous .

Like yourself i have had an accident like yourself where i could have been in a bad way without a helmet.

Basically - those people who say helmets don't matter - have never got up off the ground after an unexpected fall and thought - thank ****** i had my helmet on - whilst looking at a big crack in your helmet and not your skull. Once you experience that - you will ALWAYS wear a helmet.

One of my pals had exactly the 'i don't need a helmet' attitude years ago. That was until he woke up on the road one day with no idea how he got there. He still has no idea. Luckily for him though it was only concussion and a wee scar. He now wouldn't cycle 10 metres without a helmet on.

Strangely enough - he still skis without one. I have pointed out the failure in his logic for this and told him to get one BEFORE he has a similar incident to his previous bike one.

Wear a helmet. Its a no brainer - pardon the pun.

Have a chew through this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet

There was a long thread citing some of these issues on here IIRC.

I think the jist of some of it is that it is better not to be put in a position where you need a helmet to save you in the first place.

See the section Legislation and Culture.

FWIW, I remain undecided.

It's quite simple physics really- in a situation where it's your skull vs an immovable object, having an inch of polystyrene on your head gives you 5x more 'crumple zone' than just the thin skin there. I don't tend to wear my bike helmet for bimbling to the shops but I certainly do on longer rides or if mountain biking.

And if I ever go skiing again (which I'd love to, just haven't had the time/money until recently) I'll be buying a ski helmet too.

Don't wear a brain bucket myself but would if I skied off-piste.

Not much cover this time of year and all sorts of stuff just below the surface, rocks, tree stumps etc.

You have more chance of hitting something off piste

You have more chance of something hitting you on piste.

So i don't quite see your logic. Up to yourself of course - i just don't think it quite adds up though.

Skiing is a dangerous pastime. You are moving at speed, often with little protection and there are numerous hazards/hard objects.

Schumacher made his career and his fortune competing in what is probably the most dangerous sport ever invented (though I'd be interested to see statistics on the number of deaths and serious injuries per, say, hour of professional competition in all mainstream sports compared), so it's hardly any surprise that he does another one for a hobby.

I guess the main issue with him now is epidural haematoma, and whether it was caught in time. Fingers crossed.

Schumacher made his career and his fortune competing in what is probably the most dangerous sport ever invented (though I'd be interested to see statistics on the number of deaths and serious injuries per, say, hour of professional competition in all mainstream sports compared), so it's hardly any surprise that he does another one for a hobby.

I guess the main issue with him now is epidural haematoma, and whether it was caught in time. Fingers crossed.

I think one of the interesting things about skiing is that there are not that many deaths when all things are considered.

There are obviously mitigation strategies that you can adopt when you ski, from the wearing of different kinds of protective equipment, which can vary greatly in its effectiveness, to where, when and how you choose to ski. In many ways it is about choosing your level of risk/benefit and acting accordingly. I can understand why many people don't like doing calculations like this, for what is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime. But it reminds me that there are few things in life that are exillerating that do not have serious consequences if something goes wrong.

I imagine jockey must be hard to beat for injuries.

I imagine jockey must be hard to beat for injuries.

Jump jockeys have it hard but eventing takes its toll too. Being landed on by tonnes of horse isn't good for the human body apparently.