House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

Women Unfairly Expected To Work

Women go to the office to gossip with their friends and read Facebook, but a Daily Mail investigation has found that many are harassed and bullied into actually doing some work:

"More than half of women claim to have experienced bullying or harassment at work according to a new study of discrimination in the workplace.

Of the 25,000 who were polled, 52 per cent of women said they had been subjected to at least one form of discrimination.

A quarter said they had been overloaded with work or unfairly criticised, while a fifth claimed to have been excluded or victimised because they were women"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530704/Half-women-bullied-harassed-work-quarter-believe-overloaded-tasks.html

A quarter said they had been overloaded with work or unfairly criticised, while a fifth claimed to have been excluded or victimised because they were women"

Well thats women for ya...never being accountable for anything.

Replace 'women' with "people'.

Less of a story of course.

They didnt ask people.....they asked Wimmin.

Replace 'women' with "people'.

Less of a story of course.

Wise words! :huh:

Hard to know what to make of this without a comparison with the whole workforce or men. I suspect women do probably get more sexual harassment - but that the comments about overwork and bullying would equally apply to men. The workplace has got a lot tougher in last decade (not so much in my personal experience) - but certainly judging by the anecdotes of family and friends.

While there is probably still some considerable progress to make on gender equality in the workplace - partial surveys like this aren't helping the cause.

To be fair, not that many men are discriminated for being a woman.

I've seen:

• men discriminated against for being men (three senior managers all women, only promote women)

• graduates dscriminated against in recruitment and promotion (team managers didn't have degrees and avoided graduates, didn't want the competition)

• gay man passed over for a permamnent role because he was gay and a man, in favour of an incompetent woman (women bosses again)

So generalise the discrimination and you're getting closer to "people" suffer discrimination at work because they're not the same as the people running the operation.

Hard to know what to make of this without a comparison with the whole workforce or men. I suspect women do probably get more sexual harassment - but that the comments about overwork and bullying would equally apply to men. The workplace has got a lot tougher in last decade (not so much in my personal experience) - but certainly judging by the anecdotes of family and friends.

While there is probably still some considerable progress to make on gender equality in the workplace - partial surveys like this aren't helping the cause.

There appear to be women where I work! I have not seen "sexual harassment" for twenty years or more! We have a lady at work! She always organises the Christmas do! I would employ her as a manager, because she would be good at that! Oh no! It doesn't work that way here! :blink:

There appear to be women where I work! I have not seen "sexual harassment" for twenty years or more! We have a lady at work! She always organises the Christmas do! I would employ her as a manager, because she would be good at that! Oh no! It doesn't work that way here! :blink:

Then there's the ever-useful "office manager". £22k a year but worth £40k, capable of everything and still buys the tea bags. I agree that's usually a woman, and usually loves the job and wants to stay in it until she retires.

Then there's the ever-useful "office manager". £22k a year but worth £40k, capable of everything and still buys the tea bags. I agree that's usually a woman, and usually loves the job and wants to stay in it until she retires.

I think she's an a fair old wodge Frankj! She still sorts stuff! And she has a decent car, which in "Pin World" counts for a lot! :lol:

well I prefer working with women in an office - less egos and more gets done if they are managed right.

well I prefer working with women in an office - less egos and more gets done if they are managed right.

Ha ha! They might manage you! :blink:

I've seen:

• men discriminated against for being men (three senior managers all women, only promote women)

• graduates dscriminated against in recruitment and promotion (team managers didn't have degrees and avoided graduates, didn't want the competition)

• gay man passed over for a permamnent role because he was gay and a man, in favour of an incompetent woman (women bosses again)

So generalise the discrimination and you're getting closer to "people" suffer discrimination at work because they're not the same as the people running the operation.

Quite

Women colleague being excused from an investigation as the victims lived on the same street as her parents, resulting in myself working when I was due to take paternity leave.

Pregnant colleague being excused from traveling to Crown Court on the basis of a 'risk assessment' then taking herself off to Turkey at 6 months gone during the time Cameron wanted to cruise missile Syria.

Women colleague (part time) sending important Court documents via post and not serving the documents in person to a defendant whom claimed not to have received them, which meant I had to spend half a day sorting the problem out with the defendants brief, again on the basis of perceived risk.

There are lots of other examples I could give, in general I find women in the office quite disruptive, lazy and willing to use their sex not to do certain tasks. Maybe it's just the public sector...

Quite

Women colleague being excused from an investigation as the victims lived on the same street as her parents, resulting in myself working when I was due to take paternity leave.

Pregnant colleague being excused from traveling to Crown Court on the basis of a 'risk assessment' then taking herself off to Turkey at 6 months gone during the time Cameron wanted to cruise missile Syria.

Women colleague (part time) sending important Court documents via post and not serving the documents in person to a defendant whom claimed not to have received them, which meant I had to spend half a day sorting the problem out with the defendants brief, again on the basis of perceived risk.

There are lots of other examples I could give, in general I find women in the office quite disruptive, lazy and willing to use their sex not to do certain tasks. Maybe it's just the public sector...

Yes, they really should be made to stay home, cook the tea and look after the children. They're clearly just a liability.

Not for the first time, The Pin detects a hint of misogyny on this site There shall be none of that here! The Pin likes women! Best car accessory you can get and useful in kitchens! :blink:

Pin would like to meet any woman that got a 102 piece metric and Imperial socket set for Christmas!

I wish all lovely luck for the new year! :blink:

I've seen:

Yes, I have seen that all Frank! Your last sentence says it all! :huh:

Seems a bit odd to suggest it's only women that get overloaded with work.

The biggest people problem in the workplace from my perspective is the "amiable" types. These types seem to recruit each other and build teams with the same mentality.

The female variant of the "amiables" tends to like to adorn their desks with silly ornaments and seasonal decorations (e.g. Christmas lights), do little work, insist on having a conversation about every triviality rather than just getting on with it, and bitch and wine about everyone who isn't in their clique.

The male variety forms a little "club" that shares the same attitudes and opinons, resists change and spurns anyone who doesn't almost completely conform. They insist on taking lunch together and inconsistently do people "favours" all the time rather than following sensible procedure. They cover each others backs and create a culture of "we're all as shit as each other, so we're in this together"

You just need decent management to keep all this crap in line. In my experience, this is rare. Management failures are a whole other topic.

Seems a bit odd to suggest it's only women that get overloaded with work.

The biggest people problem in the workplace from my perspective is the "amiable" types. These types seem to recruit each other and build teams with the same mentality.

I do not have that mentality! :blink:

I don't think its easy or fair to just base things on peoples sex. Everyone is different - male and female .

However there is one constant that i have heard from most people i have worked with - again from both sexes.

People prefer male bosses to female ones. In fact it is females who are usually even more adamant than the males when it comes to this.

I don't think its easy or fair to just base things on peoples sex. Everyone is different - male and female .

However there is one constant that i have heard from most people i have worked with - again from both sexes.

People prefer male bosses to female ones. In fact it is females who are usually even more adamant than the males when it comes to this.

IME - women prefer male bosses, I know one woman who absolutely cannot cope with female bosses (always ends in massive falling out / walking out), men don't usually mind either way.

I've spent most of my career as a boss and what works best is mixed teams - by age and sex. It stops it getting cliquey, bitchy, laddish whatever. I will usually go into interview looking to "balance up" the team, even though that's not always possible it does mean that I am discriminating every time; but against / in favour of something different on each occasion.

IME - women prefer male bosses, I know one woman who absolutely cannot cope with female bosses (always ends in massive falling out / walking out), men don't usually mind either way.

I've spent most of my career as a boss and what works best is mixed teams - by age and sex. It stops it getting cliquey, bitchy, laddish whatever. I will usually go into interview looking to "balance up" the team, even though that's not always possible it does mean that I am discriminating every time; but against / in favour of something different on each occasion.

You sound like the ideal boss........I have always worked in great teams and mostly had brilliant bosses, mainly men....our team would spot a shirker in no time, they never lasted long, they either left or learnt our way of working....good teams enjoy their time at work, have a laugh and support each other. ;)

You sound like the ideal boss........I have always worked in great teams and mostly had brilliant bosses, mainly men....our team would spot a shirker in no time, they never lasted long, they either left or learnt our way of working....good teams enjoy their time at work, have a laugh and support each other. ;)

!

Stop "biggin up " Frank! He could get an enormous head, and the no person will work at his place! :huh:

Why thank you winkie - do you know me? :)

At my last long job people actively wanted to transfer to my team because they knew it was a good place to be, it was also the only team whose annual day out did not involve death by powerpoint but instead shooting each other in some woods. All the directors seemed to think one of the others had authorised it but I just did it anyway :)

!

Stop "biggin up " Frank! He could get an enormous head, and the no person will work at his place! :huh:

You leave her alone Mr Pin :P

!

Actually you remind me of someone I used to work with many years ago, we always tried to humour them. ;)