House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Soaring Rents And Tuition Fees Force One In Four Undergraduates To Live With Mum And Dad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507333/Rise-stay-home-student-Soaring-rents-tuition-fees-force-undergraduates-live-mum-dad.html

One in four university students now lives at home with their parents, heralding the end of an era for a generation of school leavers who once dreamed of independence.

In the last decade the number of undergraduates choosing to stay with mum and dad has risen by 50 per cent.

Soaring living costs and a trebling of tuition fees are forcing growing numbers of students to abandon hopes of moving out.

article-2507333-1969D3F700000578-748_634x407.jpg

£27k fees costs cutting is inevitable. Great news for student landlords.

Ahahaha, back at the height of the boom there we're many a new build student flats BTL seminars held across the country by salesmen, telling savvy investors about how they had a captive market, guaranteed returns on rental income, capital apprecation etc

the dreams gone sour for student landlords the same as the "if you get a degree you'll get a better job at the end of it" wisdom passed down from the boomer generation just like the "house prices only ever go up"

meme

wonder how many boomers MEW'd to fund the venture into BTL student accomodation? It was a sure fire winner right? "Cant go wrong with bricks n mortar"

Edited by workingpoor

Ahahaha, back at the height of the boom there we're many a new build student flats BTL seminars held across the country by salesmen, telling savvy investors about how they had a captive market, guaranteed returns on rental income, capital apprecation etc

the dreams gone sour for student landlords the same as the "if you get a degree you'll get a better job at the end of it" wisdom passed down from the boomer generation just like the "house prices only ever go up"

meme

wonder how many boomers MEW'd to fund the venture into BTL student accomodation? It was a sure fire winner right? "Cant go wrong with bricks n mortar"

There was nothing in the article to suggest things have gone wrong for landlords. The reason that students are staying at home is that the cost of renting privately is so high.

I am actually surprised only one in four is staying at home. Considering how the number of undergraduates has grown, there must still be an overall increase in the student population renting privately compared to before the explosion in undergraduate numbers.

There was nothing in the article to suggest things have gone wrong for landlords. The reason that students are staying at home is that the cost of renting privately is so high.

I am actually surprised only one in four is staying at home. Considering how the number of undergraduates has grown, there must still be an overall increase in the student population renting privately compared to before the explosion in undergraduate numbers.

The student landlord business must be suffering and the amateur BTL wanabees who bought into the new build student accomodation meme sold at seminars must be feeling the voids as people cut costs of going to uni the first thing you cut is accomodation costs you go to a uni within commuting distance.

Those "got it made" seminars eh?

Guess who?

Too easy in the era of Google.

That graph shows the number of students living at home rising faster than the percentage. So it shows the number renting (or at least not living at home) has risen faster than the number living with parents. Ever more going away to university.

I stayed at home (went to Glasgow in the 80s) I was on the minimum grant (about £300 - thanks Thatch) but worked 2 days a week which pair for me to run a car and do long stints of travelling in the summer hols (mainly around Europe).

Mum fed me when I was in, but I was hardly ever in. It's not such a bad option I have to say and I never suffered in the totty department compared to some of my mates anyway. (I guess I had tolerant parents).

I now watch my 17 year old daughter preparing for uni and it's fascinating. She is a good prospect for Oxrbridge (2 As and 8 A*s at GCSE) but is looking at North American universities which pay burseries. My son two years younger is looking at EU countries that have little or no fees. It's likely both will be lost to the UK. The smarter and the clued up are not buying in.

The student landlord business must be suffering and the amateur BTL wanabees who bought into the new build student accomodation meme sold at seminars must be feeling the voids as people cut costs of going to uni the first thing you cut is accomodation costs you go to a uni within commuting distance.

These student HMO flats could be opened up to the wider population.

Of course the council tax effect of that would be beneficial for local councils.

Edited by SarahBell

"Must be" or are?

It does not state that student accommodation is lying empty while students live at home. My suspicion is that the accommodation is full, but there is not enough of it. After, if you have a modest flat to let, you will still be able to let it out considering that the UK's population has grown nearly 5m in the past decade.

Those who bought into the student market always knew the limitations on student budgets. Those who got most caught out were those who bought off-plan "executive apartments" to let to (apparently endless supply of) "young professionals". Many discovered that rental values were barely half those promised at the seminars.

Working Poor, face up to it, Ah So has squashed your argument. You confused the world that you'd like to see with the world as it actually is. The change from one in five students staying at home to one in four staying at home is swamped by the absolute rise in the number of students.

Working Poor, face up to it, Ah So has squashed your argument. You confused the world that you'd like to see with the world as it actually is. The change from one in five students staying at home to one in four staying at home is swamped by the absolute rise in the number of students.

A debate on the internet is not reality though? The reality that I see says falling rents and longer void periods in the tenement type of flats that students would have lined up to rent a few years ago, something is happening, and I think Uni`s are supplying more and more basic accommodation themselves. You don`t think that student numbers are going to stay stable or even rise in the next few years do you?

A debate on the internet is not reality though? The reality that I see says falling rents and longer void periods in the tenement type of flats that students would have lined up to rent a few years ago, something is happening, and I think Uni`s are supplying more and more basic accommodation themselves. You don`t think that student numbers are going to stay stable or even rise in the next few years do you?

Yes the student building in my local town is massive. Must be one of the biggest construction projects in the area at the moment. However the Uni takes in a lot of foreign students, particularly Chinese, who quite obviously can't stay at home with their parents.

So may not be much joy to local Rigby's because I think a lot of that student growth will be captured by the more professional larger scale, rentiers.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Yes the student building in my local town is massive. Must be one of the biggest construction projects in the area at the moment. However the Uni takes in a lot of foreign students, particularly Chinese, who quite obviously can't stay at home with their parents.

So may not be much joy to local Rigby's because I think a lot of that student growth will be captured by the more professional larger scale, rentiers.

Do you live in Southampton? they have a 3 building student digs being built at the mo, right on the edge of one of the most popular student areas

Heh heh heh I'm just saying that there we're a lot of get rich quick type seminars conducted by sharp suited salesmen

that must be feeling the heat.

Purely guesswork but I'd be suprised if im wrong.

Yes the off plan "executive flats" was what I was thinking but also the large number of basic accom complexes that sprang up everywhere. There is oversupply in a falling market I think.

"Get a degree you'll get a better job at the end of it"

Edited by workingpoor

I now watch my 17 year old daughter preparing for uni and it's fascinating. She is a good prospect for Oxrbridge (2 As and 8 A*s at GCSE) but is looking at North American universities which pay burseries. My son two years younger is looking at EU countries that have little or no fees. It's likely both will be lost to the UK. The smarter and the clued up are not buying in.

There are lots of bursaries at UK universities, too. Both my nephews[1] had/have them. It looks almost like we fund as many students as we did a generation ago, but we've just opened the system to a much larger number of self-funded and debt-funded students on top of that.

[1] The older graduated this year from Cambridge, the younger is in his first term at Oxford. But I believe they did look around more widely than just the UK, which my generation didn't.

I nearly went to a "local" university, but then realised it would just be like a job, commuting every day! Might have made financial sense? Don't know! Just wanted to get out on my own! :blink:

I nearly went to a "local" university, but then realised it would just be like a job, commuting every day! Might have made financial sense? Don't know! Just wanted to get out on my own! :blink:

Another postcode lottery somewhere there ....

Now then, now then...