House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anonguest

"debt Crisis Will Hurt Millions"

I mean...who'da thunk it eh?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25541733

But this time, rather than just read the article by some body or foundation yet again stating the bleedin obvious to anyone regularly visiting this board or with more than three brain cells to rub together, I decided to waste a few extra minutes of my life to click on the various links to see just who exactly was doing this pontificating......

Unsurprisingly I see some fancy website presenting the public face of some foundation I have never heard of. A closer look at the 'Our Mission' and 'Our Team' revealed some things that were, to me, more interesting than the subject of the report or its 'findings'......

I mean just look at the Chief Exec. Great! Someone who traipsed the corridors of power and rubbed shoulders with the very characters who got us into this mess, possibly even responsible for shaping opinions and policy....now suddenly finds religion and can pontificate with authority on the perils we all face.

I can't be arsed to read what this twunt even suggests (if at all?!) as to how we solve this problem.

My only thoughts looking at the line up of people making up the 'Team' of the Resolution Foundation was......I'll bet they are paid wayyyyyy too much and........How do I get a job like this!!!???

I'm in the wrong line of work!

Tomorrow I'll hire a website developer to quickly put together some similarly structured fancy looking website, register my own 'foundation', pontificate (as I do here anyway for nowt!) on all and sundry, hawk my wisdom to various corporate bodies for sponsorship.....and before I know it I'll be living the high powered lifestyle like these politicos.

In fact, there is so much collective wisdom contributed here on this website by so many erudite and knowledgeable souls, that I think the time has come that longstanding members and posters here should adopt an attitude of "If you can't beat them join them" - and play them at their own 'game'.

Chances are our pontifications will strike a deeper chord with the wider public than the drivel these people spout and get paid loads for!?

So come on HPC'ers whaddya all say?! let's get together.....

(and then I woke up from my slumber in the armchair.... LOL)

Res Foundation Team.jpg

post-7446-0-24570700-1388334730_thumb.jpg

Edited by anonguest

I just now re-read the Mission Statement......

"The goal of the Resolution Foundation is to improve living standards for the 15 million people in Britain on low and middle incomes. To achieve this we conduct rigorous research, analysis and policy development to inform public debates and influence key decision makers in government, the private sector, and civil society."

Correct me if I'm wrong, or perhaps being just a wee bit cynical, but basically a lot of waffle to tell us that these people (and there are a baffling number of them!) are getting paid, likely wayyyyy too much, for basically saying....

"We aim to help the poor people in society by reminding the rich people in society that these poor people actually exist"

No?!

Edited by anonguest

The Resolution Foundation – mission, ‘to improve living standards for the 15million people in Britain on low and middle incomes’ – pays its own staff well, too.

Two employees earn £70,001-£80,000, while another is on £100,001-£110,000.

As a charity, it must be politically neutral. But it is run by Gavin Kelly, a former deputy chief of staff to Gordon Brown. Other former Labour aides among its 14 staff and five trustees include James Plunkett, who also worked for Brown, and trustee Sue Regan, who was an adviser to former Labour home secretary David Blunkett.

In addition, it has Matthew Pennycook, Labour’s parliamentary candidate in Greenwich, and Conor D’Arcy, a former researcher to housing spokesman Jack Dromey (the husband of deputy leader Harriet Harman).

Could it possibly be any more neutral?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2430220/ANDREW-PIERCES-DIARY-Polly-Toynbee-chair-low-pay-fringe-meeting-Oh-irony.html

(sigh) Thanks for that info. EXACTLY as I suspected. I rest my case.

Seriously though.....my blood just boils! At MY stupidity at not trying to get on the 'gravy train'. LOL

Edited by anonguest

So the Resolution Foundation is just a bunch of Labour Party employees and supporters and basically not independent at all, only technically. Yet notice how the BBC article describes this clearly left-wing, Labour Party affiliated organisation simply as "a think tank". Near the end of the article, however, the BBC is very sure it labels another think tank as "Conservative-leaning."

This is such a great example of the sleaziness and propagandising of the MSM, Whitehall types/activists, and the connected elite. Its just so corrupt and cynical. I mean you really think people at the impartial BBC dont know exactly what the political make-up is of this organisation? People responsible for this article im sure know members of the RF personally, possibly have even worked with them before. How else has the RF come from nowhere to being quoted by the BBC as an authority? Its all buddy buddy sleaziness.

Id be interested in knowing where the money comes from for the Resolution Foundation.

Of course, you have to be aware of the possibility that it is the DM spinning this via a lie of omission. Anyone know if there are also a bunch of Tory-types in the Resolution Foundation that the DM is not mentioning?

Either way, this is the problem. People talk about bias and corruption, etc., but these days it is far more subtle and the average joe bloggs just isnt going to spot the continuous lie-by-omission type misinformation that totally distorts the news. Its an incredibly big problem, it is rampant in every single MSM outlet, yet there is no way it is going to change. Every single person in power is involved, and it is an almost impossible thing to highlight to Joe Bloggs. How is it ever going to change?

I just now re-read the Mission Statement......

"The goal of the Resolution Foundation is to improve living standards for the 15 million people in Britain on low and middle incomes. To achieve this we conduct rigorous research, analysis and policy development to inform public debates and influence key decision makers in government, the private sector, and civil society."

Correct me if I'm wrong, or perhaps being just a wee bit cynical, but basically a lot of waffle to tell us that these people (and there are a baffling number of them!) are getting paid, likely wayyyyy too much, for basically saying....

"We aim to help the poor people in society by reminding the rich people in society that these poor people actually exist"

No?!

Umm the resolution foundation actually does good work.

It provides the raw hard data analysis (rather than anecdotal evidence) to show how the poor to middle are fairing. We generally *know* whats going on but governments typically want hard data before they will act. The data is also a sledgehammer to beat government with if they won't act.

For example you've heard the meme of there being a living standards crisis being discussed by Ed Milliband? And now being discussed by wider society? Pretty much all of that is based on resolution foundation work.

You do get a laugh as time goes on.

Apparently Resolution are " UK Think Tank of the Year 2013" - awarded by the magazine Prospect.

Prospect Publishing © 2013 | 5th Floor, 23 Savile Row, London, W1S 2ET

Resolution Foundation 23 Savile Row, London, W1S 2ET

Then:

http://

www.cloresocialleadership.org.uk/Funders-and-Partners.aspx

The guardian has an article about the millions on another HPC thread on the 28th/29th December.

http://

www.theguardian.com/money/2013/dec/28/mortgage-rise-homeowners-perilous-debt

Matthew Whittaker, senior economist at the Resolution Foundation, said ministers should consider "locking in" cheap credit for those who are heavily indebted.

Does that idea maybe originate from some of Resolution's housing/banking funders/partners etc? cheap credit to be "locked in" at taxpayers and savers expense? Debt in some cases lent by the same bankers on massively overpriced priced houses?

Lock it all in by all means but the banks should be doing the locking in this time and at their own expense. After all it's not as if they haven't been bailed out enough by taxpayers and savers already.

Edited by billybong

Apparently Resolution are " UK Think Tank of the Year 2013" - awarded by the magazine Prospect.

Prospect Publishing © 2013 | 5th Floor, 23 Savile Row, London, W1S 2ET

Resolution Foundation 23 Savile Row, London, W1S 2ET

Huh... wow.... exactly what I was talking about above. Unbelievable. Its so blatant, so insultingly obvious, and yet this is how the world is. And it isnt going to change. There is no reason to think anything is going to change.

So Prospect Publishing is likely yet another media firm that is basically the propaganda department of a political party/ideology, going under the guise of an independent private enterprise. I wonder who founded/works at Prospect.

I mean...who'da thunk it eh?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25541733

But this time, rather than just read the article by some body or foundation yet again stating the bleedin obvious to anyone regularly visiting this board or with more than three brain cells to rub together, I decided to waste a few extra minutes of my life to click on the various links to see just who exactly was doing this pontificating......

Unsurprisingly I see some fancy website presenting the public face of some foundation I have never heard of. A closer look at the 'Our Mission' and 'Our Team' revealed some things that were, to me, more interesting than the subject of the report or its 'findings'......

I mean just look at the Chief Exec. Great! Someone who traipsed the corridors of power and rubbed shoulders with the very characters who got us into this mess, possibly even responsible for shaping opinions and policy....now suddenly finds religion and can pontificate with authority on the perils we all face.

I can't be arsed to read what this twunt even suggests (if at all?!) as to how we solve this problem.

My only thoughts looking at the line up of people making up the 'Team' of the Resolution Foundation was......I'll bet they are paid wayyyyyy too much and........How do I get a job like this!!!???

I'm in the wrong line of work!

Tomorrow I'll hire a website developer to quickly put together some similarly structured fancy looking website, register my own 'foundation', pontificate (as I do here anyway for nowt!) on all and sundry, hawk my wisdom to various corporate bodies for sponsorship.....and before I know it I'll be living the high powered lifestyle like these politicos.

In fact, there is so much collective wisdom contributed here on this website by so many erudite and knowledgeable souls, that I think the time has come that longstanding members and posters here should adopt an attitude of "If you can't beat them join them" - and play them at their own 'game'.

Chances are our pontifications will strike a deeper chord with the wider public than the drivel these people spout and get paid loads for!?

So come on HPC'ers whaddya all say?! let's get together.....

(and then I woke up from my slumber in the armchair.... LOL)

LOL who has a chip on their shoulder. From your ranting with poorly disguised bad language I think you are a chav.

Edited by buyerbeware

LOL who has a chip on their shoulder. From your ranting with poorly disguised bad language I think you are a chav.

Oh dear there was me trying be like the peasant masses and speak like wot like they do - and doing badly. Methinks a wee bit too much of the xmas brandy at work there. I shall humbly retreat back to my armchair and leave comment on complex social matters to you and your peers.

I think, however, the observations made by some of the other repliers here rather support the general gripe vis a vis the Resolution Foundation.....dontcha think??!!

It provides the raw hard data analysis (rather than anecdotal evidence) to show how the poor to middle are fairing. We generally *know* whats going on but governments typically want hard data before they will act. The data is also a sledgehammer to beat government with if they won't act.

For example you've heard the meme of there being a living standards crisis being discussed by Ed Milliband? And now being discussed by wider society? Pretty much all of that is based on resolution foundation work.

So Alex, what are your connections to the Labour Party or the Resolution Foundation?

The Resolution foundation were established by Clive Chowdry's Resolution group - in its various groups.

Clive Chowdry is a leveraged up idiot operating in the financial services.

Have a google.

Resolution is/was a major operator in the life industry - that's life industry for investment (v bad) rather than pure life insurance (good).

Resolution (the company) is making huge number of people redundant at the mo. Mainly to make the leveraged figure work. It won;t.

there seems to be a whole industry evolving with this type of thing.

Ive come into contact with two recently..

first one is a job club...started by the redundant over 50s from the City....has a weekly meeting and in April this year they got two or three grants ( end of the Public Sector financial year) from local Authorities and a Lottery grant based on what the councils had committed....now the club has a team of members and a weekly email.

The difference now is that you get refreshments at the meetings and the execs get their expenses paid...of course, they are looking for donations.

The second has just taken off and the man running it is a drunk...just got £10K from Lottery and Council to start a web site...I took pity on the guy and helped him with his IT...then he shat on me.

His lottery and council funded mission is to give a voice to pensioners...the real aim is to enrich the man...he told me months ago that this was the way to go and presented me with council funded stats on the type of businesses that were the future....and this type was lumped in with entreprenuerial ventures like shops and other Charity organisations, as if they were both the same..

Anyway, thats £20K I Can testify has received Council and lottery funding as a good cause in 2013.

There's a crisis for younger non-owners brought about during Labour's terms in office, and too much has been done to protect VIs, making it worse for non-owners, and leading to higher cost of living self-made crisis. Now Milliband thinks he sets markets. His energy policy probably keeps prices higher than they would otherwise be. Putting a floor under the market.

A cost of living crisis brought on, in my opinion, by Labour do-gooders. Now further 'help' causing even more malinvestment, money wasted, supporting businesses which have no real merit whatsoever.

Yvette Cooper, 2008, after pushed and pushed for an answer about UK's world's most biggest debt binge, the home-ownership miracle, for people who were justified to over-borrow and outbid the prudent, pushing up house prices year on year, who non-owners and those wanting to upsize now to carry on our backs.

And actually I think that's a good thing that people want to be homeowners, and should be able to become homeowners, and you shouldn't punish people for that, and shouldn't say that's somehow a bad thing if people want to become homeowners.

Ed Miliband's energy department 'spent cash like a drunk on a Friday night' as figures reveal a £125,000 bill for travel and hotel stays in NINE months

27 December 2013

What was Ed's reaction to Boris when the Mayor pushed for alternative energy cost-savings? http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/30/boris-johnson-ed-miliband-was-a-turbine-on-a-windless-day-when-energy-secretary-4128282/

All that wasted money on fire brigade centres + more and more.

there seems to be a whole industry evolving with this type of thing.

Ive come into contact with two recently..

first one is a job club...started by the redundant over 50s from the City....has a weekly meeting and in April this year they got two or three grants ( end of the Public Sector financial year) from local Authorities and a Lottery grant based on what the councils had committed....now the club has a team of members and a weekly email.

The difference now is that you get refreshments at the meetings and the execs get their expenses paid...of course, they are looking for donations.

The second has just taken off and the man running it is a drunk...just got £10K from Lottery and Council to start a web site...I took pity on the guy and helped him with his IT...then he shat on me.

His lottery and council funded mission is to give a voice to pensioners...the real aim is to enrich the man...he told me months ago that this was the way to go and presented me with council funded stats on the type of businesses that were the future....and this type was lumped in with entreprenuerial ventures like shops and other Charity organisations, as if they were both the same..

Anyway, thats £20K I Can testify has received Council and lottery funding as a good cause in 2013.

I love the smell of social entrepreneurs in the morning.

His lottery and council funded mission is to give a voice to pensioners

Jesus like the Tory party isnt already a big enough voice!

the real aim is to enrich the man...

Of course it is. There are so many scumbags out there. I know people who are not the most productive, dont have the greatest attitude to work, and hence dont have a hope of a decent job. They are now talking about starting a charity with the idea they will get decent paying jobs out of it. Always thought the charity sector likely has more than its fair share of underwhelming people, but this really made me wonder how many higher ups in this sector are just corrupt leeches. It really makes me wonder about some of the well known charities out there paying their higher ups big money. I bet digging into the background/people of lots of these charities turns up a bunch of sleaze bag ex-politicians, media-types and connected cronies. Exactly the same sort of people as involved with the Resolution Foundation and Prospect Publishing.

So Alex, what are your connections to the Labour Party or the Resolution Foundation?

Zero to both.

Strangely enough, I believe the fact that the bottom 60% or so derived zero benefit during the boom (unless you count taking on more debt a benefit) in that they saw zero real terms wage increases during that boom, and are now taking the brunt of the pain, a massive injustice. Particularly when you consider that the primary beneficiaries of the boom, the wealthiest couple percent, are doing better than ever.

Because this is the sort of stuff that the resolution foundation is highlighting, that's why I believe it is doing good work.

Now given what I've said above, why do you believe it isn't?

There's a crisis for younger non-owners brought about during Labour's terms in office, and too much has been done to protect VIs, making it worse for non-owners, and leading to higher cost of living self-made crisis. Now Milliband thinks he sets markets. His energy policy probably keeps prices higher than they would otherwise be. Putting a floor under the market.

A cost of living crisis brought on, in my opinion, by Labour do-gooders. Now further 'help' causing even more malinvestment, money wasted, supporting businesses which have no real merit whatsoever.

Yvette Cooper, 2008, after pushed and pushed for an answer about UK's world's most biggest debt binge, the home-ownership miracle, for people who were justified to over-borrow and outbid the prudent, pushing up house prices year on year, who non-owners and those wanting to upsize now to carry on our backs.

Ed Miliband's energy department 'spent cash like a drunk on a Friday night' as figures reveal a £125,000 bill for travel and hotel stays in NINE months

27 December 2013

What was Ed's reaction to Boris when the Mayor pushed for alternative energy cost-savings? http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/30/boris-johnson-ed-miliband-was-a-turbine-on-a-windless-day-when-energy-secretary-4128282/

All that wasted money on fire brigade centres + more and more.

To an extent I agree. But it does not take a genius to see that wage growth has been stagnant for the masses since the early 2000's, and that those monies that would have otherwise gone to the masses as wages has been redirected upwards. It's not all about house prices.

That the resolution foundation highlights these issues of stagnating wages is a good thing. Or are you trying to say somehow that it is not?

Edited by alexw

Zero to both.

Strangely enough, I believe the fact that the bottom 60% or so derived zero benefit during the boom (unless you count taking on more debt a benefit) in that they saw zero real terms wage increases during that boom, and are now taking the brunt of the pain, a massive injustice. Particularly when you consider that the primary beneficiaries of the boom, the wealthiest couple percent, are doing better than ever.

Because this is the sort of stuff that the resolution foundation is highlighting, that's why I believe it is doing good work.

Now given what I've said above, why do you believe it isn't?

The statistics come from GAD, which ev eryone has access to if they can be arsed, yes everyone apart from asset holders are getting poorer, does it need another Quango to point that out or are people capable of wiping their own asses without the input of Politics, i would suggest the subtle trend of social discourse compared to a few years ago would happen with or without Quangos

Do you really believe everyone would feel energised and enlightened without Politically compromised entities of any persuasion telling them how fortunate or unlucky they are. If thats the case then people deserve the exploitation they impose on themselves through dogged dogma..... oh no theyre rightys, oh no theyre leftys, oh no theyre hayekians, oh no theyre marxists, oh no theyre just people with some of them depending on special flower dogma running out of the ability to impose their economic rent on others

Labours been fcked over for generations, thats a function of the biased tax system imposing economic rents in an uneven manner. Why its taken people 30 years to work out violent distortions imposed on ourselves dont work is anyones guess seeing as weve had a few thousand years experience to recognise it

How have states ever developed and collapsed over the last few thousand years without The ACME Resolution Foundation® telling them when to do so

® used and abused

Edited by Maria Gorska

You may have good points to make about policies to help super-rich. I've never favoured policies to hinder aspiration or put a ceiling on what anyone can earn, nor policies to soak them, but can't agree with policies to improve/protect their situation further still.

Today you have the CBI calling for firms to pay higher wages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25547574

It's only a small sample, but of the people I know who are equity rich with housing, it's their call too.

"Pay younger people higher wages." The unsaid part being ["so they can better afford house prices/rents at the values we don't want to see slip."]

I'd rather have measures taken to reduce costs of living - increased productivity - a free market being able to come up with solutions - and rout out unfair intervention and those draining us on costs. And of course, allowing house prices to fall, and rents too ideally.

Ed, amnesia-man, on extras we pay for on our energy bills? All to help cuts cost of living for other people, home-owners and landlords, not to mention other grants. Including to all those who outbid me for a home. I'd rather go back to paying for what you want, instead of Govs redistributing money of others on the side, to help those better off.

The green taxes that add £112 to your energy bill

The cost of Ed: £78 a year

But it doesn’t end there – Ed previously proposed policies that would add another £125 to bills by 2020.

You may have good points to make about policies to help super-rich. I've never favoured policies to hinder aspiration or put a ceiling on what anyone can earn, nor policies to soak them, but can't agree with policies to improve/protect their situation further still.

Today you have the CBI calling for firms to pay higher wages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25547574

It's only a small sample, but of the people I know who are equity rich with housing, it's their call too.

"Pay younger people higher wages." The unsaid part being ["so they can better afford house prices/rents at the values we don't want to see slip."]

I'd rather have measures taken to reduce costs of living - increased productivity - a free market being able to come up with solutions - and rout out unfair intervention and those draining us on costs. And of course, allowing house prices to fall, and rents too ideally.

Ed, amnesia-man, on extras we pay for on our energy bills? All to help cuts cost of living for other people, home-owners and landlords, not to mention other grants. Including to all those who outbid me for a home. I'd rather go back to paying for what you want, instead of Govs redistributing money of others on the side, to help those better off.

Both are needed. We need less rent abstraction by those at the top and we also need a more equal division of the economic spoils (via wages) for the masses. Moreover much of the income that has been diverted from the masses has been via rent-like activity. For example CEO's sitting on each others corporate boards and awarding each other pay rises.

Also you talk about rising productivity. You do realize productivity in the U.S. has been rising in the U.S. while real incomes have not increased in 40 odd years. We have adopted that trend too. Productivity rises are irrelevant if the elites siphon off the additional income via increased profit margins or 1%er wages.

So I would have thought would most sane sensible people… ;)