House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Austin Allegro

Sales Shopping With Your Wife

I normally make it an absolute rule never to go shopping with my wife when she's looking for clothes. However, she asked if I wanted to go to TK Maxx with her the other day. I thought I'd show willing as I was pleased she'd chosen a bargain place, I had nothing else to do and thought I'd amuse myself for a bit by looking at the designer tat and laughing at how much they were asking for it.

Instead we spent about four hours in this glorified jumble sale, full of all races, colours and creeds, all united equally in looking miserable, tired and p*ssed off, listlessly fingering sweat-shop tat that nobody else wants, like 52 inch chest lime green suit jackets and perfume from c list celebs. The place was heaving with them, and the carpark was like a funfair dodgem ride of family hatchbacks with everybody looking fed up instead of having fun.

Eventually my wife got fed up and we went for a cup of tea. I recognised the symptoms from my own clothes-horse days - she'd got into her mind the idea of a 'perfect' skirt, spent hours looking for it, hadn't found it and was disillusioned and fed up, saying the day was wasted. I felt like explaining that's exactly how the shops want you to feel so that you buy something out of desperation, if you just made do with what you have we could have spent the day walking in the woods or by the fireside in a quiet pub. Instead I kept quiet, I hope she realises for herself one day.

Any other sales-shopping horror stories?

As a non-shopper I like TKMaxx, ideal for presents as they have lots of unexpected stuff there. Buys for myself (rare) have been trousers (one pair of, blue) and some Cross fountain pens.

Some of them are like jumble sales but others have plenty of space and those are the ones to visit.

Shopping is a chore rather than a hobby, if it's just me I don't go unless I absolutely need something.

I would rather poke myself in the eye with a knitting needle than go clothes shopping. These days I know exactly what size of the half dozen or so clothing items I wear I need so I can buy in bulk online. I'm like Jeff Goldblum's character in The Fly only shorter, less good looking and not as clever.

A lot of TJ Maxx clobber is not what it seems. Many brands deliberately conceive and produce lines specifically for them alone as part of an overall brand strategy.

An avoid for hardcore HPC frugalistas.

TK maxx in Cambridge is usually full of barrel shaped polish men, occasionally also the odd rubinesque african woman with about 8 or so kids on tow. Newmarket TK Maxx has more english people. Mostly local pwoperty developer types or racing industry twats. Lots of lurid coloured range rover sports in the car park. Its OK 'off peak' tho.

A lot of TJ Maxx clobber is not what it seems. Many brands deliberately conceive and produce lines specifically for them alone as part of an overall brand strategy.

An avoid for hardcore HPC frugalistas.

I've heard the same thing, and I always suspected it. I know the place has it's fans around here, but I'm not one of them. All these "name brands" that magically appear on their shelves just look like tat to me. You might find some lucky oddities I suppose. But I certainly heard the company has clothes manufactured solely for themselves, so they can pretend it's cut price stock from flashy stores. Not so I'm afraid.

As for shopping during the holiday season? Never ever in a million years :lol: I can't imagine a hotter hell. The shopping Interweb is your friend.

I'm no stranger to the boxing day sales at the Trafford Centre as unfortunately my wife works there.

Fortunately that means I get to drive in before it gets busy and as I'm not much of a shopper I get to stand around and watch the melee which is a reasonably entertaining spectator sport.

I made a mistake this year though. I said to my wife "I'll bring the kids along later and we'll meet for lunch." Now I know how busy it can get and I've seen and been stuck in worse traffic but I did not expect the car park to be 95% full at half 11. I was lucky to find a space less than half a mile from the shops. Once inside, many places did resemble a jumble sale. We left before the car park jammed up to.

And before people start going on about Christmas and sanctity there is a bigger and bigger proportional of 'non-Christian' looking shoppers every year. I try not to exaggerate so I've come up with a figure of about a third of the shoppers being like this and I'm not counting the many white ethnic but foreign language shoppers about who must be a few % of the turnout. The boxing day sales pictures you see are not necessarily representative.

Along with the TKMaxx thing I'd clocked years ago, what is the appeal of NEXT? People queue for their sale like One Direction fans at a gig and to be honest I think next clothing sucks and sale stock even more so, I.e. made for sale lines etc.

As a non-shopper I like TKMaxx, ideal for presents as they have lots of unexpected stuff there. Buys for myself (rare) have been trousers (one pair of, blue) and some Cross fountain pens.

Some of them are like jumble sales but others have plenty of space and those are the ones to visit.

Shopping is a chore rather than a hobby, if it's just me I don't go unless I absolutely need something.

Everyone should have fountain pens, or the World's ink supply may run out! :unsure:

Frank has made me desire a Cross fountain pen! It's a blokey thing! :blink:

I think Frank shops like me! Know what you want, go in, get it, and get out! It's no more difficult than filling up the car. I don't really dither about which brand of fuel I put in! :huh:

As you know blokes buy trousers, which are, well, just trousers! It doesn't matter whether they fit or not, or what the colour is, unless you think you might be gay! :blink:

Frank has made me desire a Cross fountain pen! It's a blokey thing! :blink:

I think Frank shops like me! Know what you want, go in, get it, and get out! It's no more difficult than filling up the car. I don't really dither about which brand of fuel I put in! :huh:

As you know blokes buy trousers, which are, well, just trousers! It doesn't matter whether they fit or not, or what the colour is, unless you think you might be gay! :blink:

I get absolutely shattered by those half day (or longer :( ) shopping sessions. I accept that the result is that some good things are purchased at good prices which I also would have bought, but the sheer mind-numbing boredom of it makes my brain start leaking out of my ears.

I get absolutely shattered by those half day (or longer :( ) shopping sessions. I accept that the result is that some good things are purchased at good prices which I also would have bought, but the sheer mind-numbing boredom of it makes my brain start leaking out of my ears.

I guess that's why us older guys wear crash helmets in the supermarket! And bedroom slippers!

Nearly every clothing item I have bought was a "minute of the moment" decision! Does it fit? How much? ;)

We should teach women, the art of bloke shopping, then they will have more time for cleaning, cooking, and all that kitchen stuff! ;)

I think Frank shops like me! Know what you want, go in, get it, and get out!

And the secret to being even quicker is to collar an assistant as soon as you get in the shop and make them show you where the stuff you want is.

These days the staff in M&S have ipad things to help them.

And the secret to being even quicker is to collar an assistant as soon as you get in the shop and make them show you where the stuff you want is.

These days the staff in M&S have ipad things to help them.

Not sure about that! I haven't bought many clothes since I became a nudist! :blink:

Second hand toilet seats are a step too far for my wife. ;)

Maybe if they light up and play a tune? :blink:

Nah don't do shopping.

Certainly not when everyone else is.

You could buy her a sewing machine, or scrounge one off freecycle,

I think you and my wife would find a lot to agree about.

There was a point when I worried I was the only woman in the world who hated shopping.

Whereas we just worry there aren't enough of you...

Ha ha! Lot of conflicting opinions here! My ex was a "commando" shopper! Straight in for the purchase! Then straight to the pub! :blink:

The only shopping I like is food shopping...... ;)

I don't mind that and I do enjoy looking at strange and exciting new foods. And taking some home and cooking them.

1388325746[/url]' post='1102439648']

There was a point when I worried I was the only woman in the world who hated shopping.

Not at all. I'm not a big shopper either and know that it can be considered quite strange when you're a woman as if we're all supposed to just thrive on it.

I have family that love to go to New York just for the shopping. I can't think of anything worse.

I recently went on an overnight jolly in London with Mr B for a gala evening. A 30 minute walk down Oxford Street and I was bored sh1tless, whereas I expect for some it's considered heaven. Like Frank, a half day is my absolute max and that's pushing it.