House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Classic 1970S And 80S Video Games Online

I'm not *even* on my own... I never had an Atari console. I just thought others around here might've and that they'd enjoy reliving their childhoods. :)

Not many did. You played video games on the space invaders machine down the pub. 20p in the slot ...

As for the '70s (or early 80s), I had no idea you could even buy a console back then. Must've been upwards of a year's pay for someone on modest income ...

Not many did. You played video games on the space invaders machine down the pub. 20p in the slot ...

As for the '70s (or early 80s), I had no idea you could even buy a console back then. Must've been upwards of a year's pay for someone on modest income ...

Why does it always sound like you grew up in Jack and the Beanstalk?

Oooh I had one for a Christmas present at the end of the 70's. I also had an Atari 400 which I bought when I was 16. AFAIK it cost me £400 and I saved up for it from part time jobs, paper rounds, birthdays etc. Those were in the days when you actually learnt the value of something by saving up for it.

Oooh I had one for a Christmas present at the end of the 70's. I also had an Atari 400 which I bought when I was 16. AFAIK it cost me £400 and I saved up for it from part time jobs, paper rounds, birthdays etc. Those were in the days when you actually learnt the value of something by saving up for it.

I'm surprised at £400. At least, before about 1982/3, when the first big wave of home computers hit the market and brought prices down!

What kind of display did it have? My recollection is of the TV screen as the display of choice for computers wanting any kind of graphic capability.

I'm surprised at £400. At least, before about 1982/3, when the first big wave of home computers hit the market and brought prices down!

What kind of display did it have? My recollection is of the TV screen as the display of choice for computers wanting any kind of graphic capability.

£400 quid was a lot at the time! It was out the same time as the BBC PC, which was far superior but there was a massive waiting time.

Yup - it was a TV display. When learning to play games like Manic Miner ( on a friends Spectrum) we used to hook it up to the video recorder and record the screen loops so we could work out when we needed to move.

As the man said £400 was a lot at the time.

You'd have to really really really want it. Jeez....what you could do with £400 back 1979...1982!

I bought my first car in 1981 for 100 quid. Sold it a year later, for 100 quid.

You could have bought a car and gone to Lloret a couple ties for 400 quid!

But you spent it on a games box!

Well... I suppose we're all geeks of some sort or other here.