House Price Crash Forum

Uk Could Be Europe's 'largest' Economy By 2030

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25519110

The UK will be in a position to overtake Germany as Europe's largest economy, according to the think tank the Centre for Economic and Business Research (CEBR).

The CEBR predicts that Germany will lose its current top spot in Europe by 2030.

It cites the UK's population growth as an aid to economic acceleration.

The report echoes the recent confidence of other business groups such as the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC).

Earlier this month the BCC said that the UK econo

Yeah Britain is back!

HOLA442
HOLA443

Anything is possible! But, unless we base our efforts on incresing our manufacturing base and exporting capacity, any such idea will remain very unlikely - we will derail from this current upswing within 3 yrs as it's based on the sands of house price pump priming. Doomed at its inception and destined NOT to produce long term wealth.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

'The UK could be Europe's smallest economy by 2030.'

That took about as much industry as CEBR's effort.

You read the same thing/ word as me, 'could'. Lots of things could happen by 2030, i could become prime minister by 2030. China could start a neculear war with Korea.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Increasing population growth can mean only one thing lower wages

i can see large electronic component factories springing up with onsite accomodation for workers etc

More people means more economy, without anyone particularly getting any "better off"!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

So it's more people, more debt, more outright congestion. Poorer living standards but really no meaningful economic progress.

As Germany's economy is currently about 40% bigger than the UK's it implies the UK taking on another 40% debt load compared to now - and the UK's current debt is already considered to be excessive.

Added to that the Germany's economy is more fairly distributed than the UK's as measured by their GINI coefficients.

Currently the GDP per capita of the UK and Germany and Germany aren't that far apart with the UK about 10% below Germany's through debt and it's more unfairly distributed but what the UK is doing seems to be a vain effort to keep up with Germany through more debt.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4413

GDP abused?

The formula for GDP is:

GDP = C + I + G + (Ex - Im)

Gross Domestic Product is the sum of all spending on goods and services in a nation's economy in a year. The formula for GDP is: GDP = C + I + G + (Ex - Im), where 'C' equals spending by consumers, 'I' equals investment by businesses, 'G' equals government spending and '(Ex - Im)' equals net exports, that is, the value of exports minus imports. Net exports may be negative.

Subsidies are transfer payments to assist industries that benefit the public, but might not survive or remain stable if operated for profit without subsidies. Farm products and rail transportation are subsidized in most modern economies.

The parts of the formula are simple:

C = total spending by consumers

I = total investment (spending on goods and services) by businesses

G = total spending by government (federal, state, and local)

(Ex - Im) = net exports (exports - imports)

Source: GDP measure

We seem to have both Government and Consumer borrowing to excess (thus boosting GDP by 'borrowing from the future'). The government bit assisted by money-printing and 'clever' accounting such as the off-balance sheet items and short-term boosts such as the Royal Mail sell-off.

All smoke and mirrors.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

GDP abused?

Source: GDP measure

We seem to have both Government and Consumer borrowing to excess (thus boosting GDP by 'borrowing from the future'). The government bit assisted by money-printing and 'clever' accounting such as the off-balance sheet items and short-term boosts such as the Royal Mail sell-off.

All smoke and mirrors.

A song kinda related copied from another thread. ;)