House Price Crash Forum

When Being A Nimby Blows Up In Your Face

giesahoose

HOLA441

I have total sympathy with people who's houses are damaged in floods but i was reading a story today about one of the towns that was flooded on christmas day and this caught my eye.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/27/david-cameron-confronted-residents-flooded-village

Yalding suffered serious flooding in 2000 and since then no improvement has been made to the flood defences in the area. There is little chance any projects will begin before 2017, according to Environment Agency officials. A proposal to build a earthworks burm – a raised mound – around the village was not taken forward following consultation with the local community, partly because of its aesthetic impact on the village, said Andrew Pearce, the Environment Agency's area manager for Kent and south London. Geraldine Brown, leader of the parish council, said protection for the village would cost up to £20m.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

spot on.

If they're going to be home owners / speculators / housing market riggers / NIMBY's, then why should they rest of us pay to protect their asset / gambling chip.

Indeed

Here's more

http://news.sky.com/story/1187340/angry-flood-victims-confront-david-cameron

"Where does it stop? How many more times is it going to happen? Who is ever going to get flood insurance around here again? Nobody. But if they do, it is going to be so high that nobody will be able to afford it.""

Right...

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

With 2000 population, so say 1000 households, that's £20,000 per household for the flood protection scheme

Which they want everybody else to pay to save their precious properdie equity

Tw*ts

If it passes the locals' exacting standards. House prices expensive there on Rightmove.

Think Cameron was badly advised to go on a visit there, which I guess was a PR opportunity for caring Dave. Some might infer it's somehow his fault for lack of investment, he's got people bickering to him who never accept personal responsibility for anything. Doesn't come across well on Sky News to me, another thing Gov wants to accept responsibility for.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

My wife grew up in the Sandfields area of Swansea. This area is at the foot of Townhill and in heavy rain always flooded, apparently for about 100 years until the 1970/s when huge drains were installed.

Each house had wooden slots at the front and back doors and they used to place boards in them, backed up by sandbags always kept at the ready in the garden, plus an extra one to block the toilet.

They were prepared, unlike these nimbys.

HOLA4413

If it passes the locals' exacting standards. House prices expensive there on Rightmove.

Think Cameron was badly advised to go on a visit there, which I guess was a PR opportunity for caring Dave. Some might infer it's somehow his fault for lack of investment, he's got people bickering to him who never accept personal responsibility for anything. Doesn't come across well on Sky News to me, another thing Gov wants to accept responsibility for.

Could be interesting to check rightmove again in a few months time

HOLA4414

Anyone who lives by a river - and is surprised when they get flooded - needs to be beaten to death with a carrot - for the benefit of mankind .

Just my opinion.

It's really only recent new builds! If you live on the third floor a boat will come in handy! :blink:

HOLA4415

I think they could improve on the flood warning give people more than a couple of hours. Apart from that people need to look after themselves.

The truth is probably most of the villages are probably all right people. But you will always get the mouthy one that think everybody should move heaven and earth for them.

HOLA4416

I think they could improve on the flood warning give people more than a couple of hours. Apart from that people need to look after themselves.

That's tricky given that local flood warnings depend on real time radar measurements of cloud formations

All the computer models in this case infer is "it's raining very heavily at place x and place y is downstream of that and it's bank capacity is less than the volume of rain upstream"

It's impossible to predict such details before the rain falls, and small scale geographical detail in actual rainfall patterns is only knowable after the event, so therefore it's hard to see how the met office can give better specific warnings than they do currently

Edited by Si1

HOLA4417

The truth is probably most of the villages are probably all right people. But you will always get the mouthy one that think everybody should move heaven and earth for them.

That's probably also a function of how much they paid for their house?

HOLA4418

it is the south east - so more important than anywhere else

the newspaper is the Guardian :o

the town/village sits on 3 rivers

it has been flooded during the Labour administration too

but let's not get the facts get in the way of government bashing. we cannot afford to flood defend every small town or village and in most cases the water will just flood somewhere else downstream.

floods and natural disasters have always happened - personal responsibility for safeguarding your property is needed or live on top of a hill if you do not want flooding - then get damaging gusts of wind instead

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I sincerely hope that the people who objected to the flood defenses are the very same who are now mucking out their ruined kitchens, lifting sodden carpets and having a major headache dealing with their insurance company and that's before trying to dry out a damp house during a British winter.

Completely deserved. Sweet irony.

HOLA4422

I think they could improve on the flood warning give people more than a couple of hours.

The problem is preictability, if they gave 24 hours notice and the village didnt flood, they would still complain as they wasted their time and money protecting their property and would want compensation.

The general public of this country are fu ckwits when it comes to common sence of taking respondisibilty

HOLA4423

I sincerely hope that the people who objected to the flood defenses are the very same who are now mucking out their ruined kitchens, lifting sodden carpets and having a major headache dealing with their insurance company and that's before trying to dry out a damp house during a British winter.

Completely deserved. Sweet irony.

Now I know the back story, courtesy of this thread, I feel the need to shout at the TV every time I see the villagers interviewed.

HOLA4424

it is the south east - so more important than anywhere else

the town/village sits on 3 rivers

it has been flooded during the Labour administration too

but let's not get the facts get in the way of government bashing. we cannot afford to flood defend every small town or village and in most cases the water will just flood somewhere else downstream.

floods and natural disasters have always happened - personal responsibility for safeguarding your property is needed or live on top of a hill if you do not want flooding - then get damaging gusts of wind instead

Ask what your country can do for you, not what you can do for your country.

Yes the south-east. Shadow energy minister Tom Greatrex attacked the Government for its handling of things, saying the PM should "seriously consider covenining Cobra" to ensure everything is being done.

That woman who had a rant to Cameron about needing electric and council not responding with magic solutions during Christmas break... Daily Mail story..

article-2529433-1A4EF01F00000578-289_964x538.jpg

Fury: Ericka Olivares complained that she had had no help from the local authority because staff seemed to be on holiday

If that's her house, then it seems to have been bought in 2004 for £235,000. There are lcompanies associated to that address in her name, and some male with same surname. Was on the market for sale around July 2013 (archived listing from other link) for offers over £325,000.

Perhaps took it off market, to put it back on when more people prepared to pay what it's worth. :lol:

HOLA4425

If that's her house, then it seems to have been bought in 2004 for £235,000. There are lcompanies associated to that address in her name, and some male with same surname. Was on the market for sale around July 2013 (archived listing from other link) for offers over £325,000.

Perhaps took it off market, to put it back on when more people prepared to pay what it's worth. :lol:

What is it worth now?

Edited by NorthamptonBear