House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silver surfer

Piers Morgan Battered

Fair play to Brett Lee, he must be a nice chap. If I could accurately place an 80mph ball I'd have aimed all six at Moron's ********.

Yes I know Brett Lee is fast, at one point the fastest in world with Shoaib Akhtar, but seriously has idiot Morgan ever held a bat in his life before? Backing away to square leg and closing his eyes etc even a schoolboy cricketer would've done better.

TBH I've got a bit more respect for Morgan now. I don't know if I'd stand at the crease with a cricket ball hurtling at that kind of speed and accuracy at me. Particularly since the bowler was aiming head shots at him.

He might be a dislikeable fellow but he's got balls. Either that or he's even more stupid that anyone thought.

I don't know anything about cricket or even like the game, but I have a trivial thought about the strategy Brett Lee used here.

For the first few shots he hit Morgan good and hard to teach him to expect it. Then Lee changed his shot without warning (on the fourth?) to aim at the wicket instead of Morgan. And Morgan left the wicket unprotected this time because Lee had taught him to expect a body shot. I thought it was quite clever but simple too. Lee (being experienced) must have known Morgan would chicken out by the 3rd or 4th shot.

I don't know, they may have changed the sequence in the editing. But if that is how it happened at the time, then maybe I am right?

I don't know anything about cricket or even like the game, but I have a trivial thought about the strategy Brett Lee used here.

For the first few shots he hit Morgan good and hard to teach him to expect it. Then Lee changed his shot without warning (on the fourth?) to aim at the wicket instead of Morgan. And Morgan left the wicket unprotected this time because Lee had taught him to expect a body shot. I thought it was quite clever but simple too. Lee (being experienced) must have known Morgan would chicken out by the 3rd or 4th shot.

I don't know, they may have changed the sequence in the editing. But if that is how it happened at the time, then maybe I am right?

Your assessment is spot on. It's a bit like boxing in this respect.

It is not an unknown tactic and has dismissed far better batsmen than Piers Morgan.

The whole exercise though is completely f*cking pointless since Lee is an ex Test Match fast bowler and Morgan is an ex Fleet street tabloid editor.

All it proves is that individuals excel in their areas of expertise and not outside it.

One expects Brett Lee would not fare so well if he had to edit the Daily Mirror for a few months

BTW the worse aspect of this affair is that Morgan has garnered loads of free publicity for the sake of a few bruises while Lee has come over as a bit of a knob for taking part in this farce.

Lee bowling short pitched stuff at a third grade village green cricketer just smacks of bullying. He could have made his point just as well by knocking over Morgans stumps 3 or 4 times with fast yorkers pitched up to the stumps

Richard Hadlee was certainly not impressed

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-tonk-richard-hadlee-savages-brett-lee-for-brutal-assault-on-piers-morgan-20131229-301h7.html

On a technical point Lee bowled too many short balls in one over aimed at a man retreating to leg in his over and would have be no balled by any half decent umpire after a couple of deliveries

It is not an unknown tactic and has dismissed far better batsmen than Piers Morgan.

The whole exercise though is completely f*cking pointless since Lee is an ex Test Match fast bowler and Morgan is an ex Fleet street tabloid editor.

All it proves is that individuals excel in their areas of expertise and not outside it.

One expects Brett Lee would not fare so well if he had to edit the Daily Mirror for a few months

BTW the worse aspect of this affair is that Morgan has garnered loads of free publicity for the sake of a few bruises while Lee has come over as a bit of a knob for taking part in this farce.

Lee bowling short pitched stuff at a third grade village green cricketer just smacks of bullying. He could have made his point just as well by knocking over Morgans stumps 3 or 4 times with fast yorkers pitched up to the stumps

Richard Hadlee was certainly not impressed

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-tonk-richard-hadlee-savages-brett-lee-for-brutal-assault-on-piers-morgan-20131229-301h7.html

On a technical point Lee bowled too many short balls in one over aimed at a man retreating to leg in his over and would have be no balled by any half decent umpire after a couple of deliveries

At last - someone talking some sense.

There's a video in youtube of Tyson Fury boxing a few rounds with a journalist he'd had a bit of needle with. What Lee did is like Fury hitting the guy full blooded and with bad intentions. Instead he did just enough to show him what it felt like to be in with a serious operator and generally had a bit of a laugh with him.

Lee could have done the same and left Morgan looking just as much of a fool. I happen to agree with Hadlee, I think what Lee did was actually assault.

At last - someone talking some sense.

There's a video in youtube of Tyson Fury boxing a few rounds with a journalist he'd had a bit of needle with. What Lee did is like Fury hitting the guy full blooded and with bad intentions. Instead he did just enough to show him what it felt like to be in with a serious operator and generally had a bit of a laugh with him.

Lee could have done the same and left Morgan looking just as much of a fool. I happen to agree with Hadlee, I think what Lee did was actually assault.

The counter argument being put forward on the various comment sites is that the whole point of the exercise was that Piers Morgan had bad mouthed the England Test batsmen for a lack of courage in facing up to Mitchell Johnson so Lee was just showing him what it was like to be peppered by short pitched deliveries. The problem with that claim is that Lee bowled far more of that stuff than was needed to prove his case and in far too dangerous a manner. One really quick bouncer well outside off stump would have been enough to make that point. The rest should have been aimed at Morgans toes or the stumps. Still for a publicity vulture like Morgan a few moments of danger garnered lots of priceless publicity. More fool Lee for being gulled into taking part in this farce.

I'm torn on this. The average human or "norm" has no idea of the capabilities of the top end sportsmen. Armchair quarterbacks and pundits would do well to remember this lesson.

I was born / brought up well / lucky enough to have a decent sporting pedigree. I've served at 100 mph plus and been on the receiving end of bigger. I've faced ex county bowlers and faced some truly frightening Fijians on the rugby field. Despite all that I'm a journeyman and in constant awe of those better equipped. Its very easy to say I'd have done this that or the other when you've no idea of how hard it is to do.

As long as the risks were made clear to Morgan I have no issues with what Lee did. If you run your mouth in sport it might get filled with a fist. Morgan is either brave or stupid.I'd have called it after ball 2. Though to be fair even Morgan should have been made aware of the unidirectional nature of most cricket protection. Turning your back will get you badly hurt.

In terms of technical Lee simply proved his point. Scare people first and then bowl full and they'll get out. Morgan didn't look that much worse than the England tail.......

I'm torn on this. The average human or "norm" has no idea of the capabilities of the top end sportsmen. Armchair quarterbacks and pundits would do well to remember this lesson.

I was born / brought up well / lucky enough to have a decent sporting pedigree. I've served at 100 mph plus and been on the receiving end of bigger. I've faced ex county bowlers and faced some truly frightening Fijians on the rugby field. Despite all that I'm a journeyman and in constant awe of those better equipped. Its very easy to say I'd have done this that or the other when you've no idea of how hard it is to do.

As long as the risks were made clear to Morgan I have no issues with what Lee did. If you run your mouth in sport it might get filled with a fist. Morgan is either brave or stupid.I'd have called it after ball 2. Though to be fair even Morgan should have been made aware of the unidirectional nature of most cricket protection. Turning your back will get you badly hurt.

In terms of technical Lee simply proved his point. Scare people first and then bowl full and they'll get out. Morgan didn't look that much worse than the England tail.......

+1

I am a total amateur at tennis. I once played someone who played merely at County level. Utter complete whitewash. I returned quite a few balls, almost none of which I was able to exert any kind of control over. Only a few needed returning by my opponent. I didn't even get near to sending those balls back over the net. 6-0 6-0 6-0. Didn't win a single solitary point.

On the plus side I couldn't do any worse against a Wimbledon level player.

Piers Morgan is dirt.

Its only his own hubris that put him there in the first place.

No proper cricketing analysis of this event is required.

It was a sideshow and should be treated as such.

I wish Lee had hit him with EVERY ball.

Bullying? Behave.

Piers Morgan is dirt.

Its only his own hubris that put him there in the first place.

No proper cricketing analysis of this event is required.

It was a sideshow and should be treated as such.

I wish Lee had hit him with EVERY ball.

Bullying? Behave.

OK... bear this in mind: If Lee had hit him on the head and killed him (perfectly feasible given how irresponsible it was) he would be facing a lengthy spell inside for manslaughter.

Lee is a trained and talented pro and he had a responsibility to not do what he did. Just like a boxer sparring a journalist has a responsibility not to KO him.

OK... bear this in mind: If Lee had hit him on the head and killed him (perfectly feasible given how irresponsible it was) he would be facing a lengthy spell inside for manslaughter.

Lee is a trained and talented pro and he had a responsibility to not do what he did. Just like a boxer sparring a journalist has a responsibility not to KO him.

When a cricket ball hits a batsman on the head, while wearing a helmet, does it care if the batsman is a seasoned pro, or a vile ******witted, self promoting, vainglorious *****, like Morgan.

Answer; No it does not.

I've seen loads of pro cricketers get hit on the head by quick bowling and carry on their innings.

Ive been hit on the lid several times myself albeit at lower speeds than Lee. County second 11 bowler in a club game 10 years ago was the worst. Its very jarring, and a bit of a jolt, but most of that comes form the noise of being hit in the grille etc. I'll not pretend its a pleasant experience, but seldom life threatening.

Batsmen even trust the gear so much now that they go down on one knee to 90 mph bowling and flip it over their head.

He was protected perfectly well and wasn't in any real life threatening danger. He wouldn't have done it otherwise.

I don't know this, but i would imagine some sort of waiver/consent would have been signed anyway.

Zero sympathy for Piers Morgan at all times.

He knew what he was getting in to.

Where's the story here?

Not having that I'm afraid. Whilst it is possible that he "could" be killed the documented cases of cricketers being killed in this way are in the low single figures. Lee didn't bowl beamers a more dangerous delivery all together, he simply gave Morgan what he deserved and volunteered for.

Morgan had adequate safety equipment provided and has a few bruises to show for his idiot bravado. This is not in the slightest bit comparable to a journalist stepping inside the ropes where the aim of the sport is to incapacitate via brain injury. That said I'm all for people facing the consequences of their choices. I'd fully support Piers Morgan should he wish to fight a heavyweight boxer.